Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Rare 1918D PR. 25 Phennig destroyed at CICF.

I'm a relatively new participant in this message Board. I agree with Andy Lustig's observtions of CICF. There were few great coins on the floor other than in the auctions. Stacks had some wonderful British pieces.

However, it is noteworth that Three Mark (Larry Gray) obtained a coin he had been searching for six years. This proof 1918 D 25 Phennig was a nice coin with just a bit of old cloudy laquer remining on the obverse. Six years of searching resulted in just one known examle in the Bundesbank Museum collection. Even the great Berlin Museum does not have an example.

Three mark decided to place it in acetone and then forgot it and went home early. A frantic call to me three days later and I found much of the laquered area seemed to progress to full blown PVC disease and eaten almost through the obverse.

I've never seen acetone do this to a silver coin. I'm wondering if there was a concentration of PVC in the acetone or on the coin and three days was just too much.

I thought this tragic experiece should be documented.

Steve Huber

Steve Huber

Comments

• Options
    Steve Huber
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This proof 1918 D 25 Phennig was a nice coin with just a bit of old cloudy laquer remining on the obverse.

Acetone won't do that to lacquer. I wonder what was really on the coin?
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the boards, Steve. That's a shame about the coin image

I'm not familiar with a substance that would react to acetone in this way. Could it be that laquer was covering this damage and acetone simply revealed it by dissolving the laquer?

I would shoot it over to NCS. They might be able to do something about it.
  • Options
    3Mark3Mark Posts: 593 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This proof 1918 D 25 Phennig was a nice coin with just a bit of old cloudy laquer remining on the obverse.

Acetone won't do that to lacquer. I wonder what was really on the coin? >>

Andy:

This picture was after a rinse in Koinsolv and revealed the lacquer. Thanks to Steve (GemWorldCoins) for his hospitality during CICF and the opportunity to room with MrEureka image3Mark
    I'm traveling on memory and running out of fuel.
  • Options
    To clarify this post, they are just kidding meimage I have a 25 pfennig set in proof and when I started the set, I was told that the 1909J was the hard one. I bought 16 different ones (21 total for a complete set) from a German collector in 2002 and had one that was not in the set from Germany. I bought the 1909J in a Grün auction in 2003 and thought I would have no trouble finding the remaining 3, which I was told were common. Two were easy, but I could not find the 1910D. I have a Künker/Grün catalog from the 90's where the best German Kaiser Reich minors were sold with many of the examples were proofs and I should have noticed that they had a complete run of 25 pfennigs in proof, except for the 1910D. I had just about given up, after finding just one in German Museums (Bundesbank collection) when I was surprised by Dirk Löbbers (who also stays with Steve and my favorite German dealer) with one on this past Tuesday in Chicago. Actually, it is hard for me to believe that it is finished.image3Mark (Larry Gray)
  • Options
    PreussenPreussen Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭
    3Mark: Congrats on completing the set. image

What's next image -Preussen
    "Illegitimis non carborundum" -General Joseph Stilwell. See my auctions
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭

<< <i>
    I'm not familiar with a substance that would react to acetone in this way. Could it be that laquer was covering this damage and acetone simply revealed it by dissolving the laquer?
    >>

This would be my take on the situation; the lacquer (or other substance) might have been covering a deadly disease of some kind.

imageimageimage

PS: Welcome to the Darkside, Steve!
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    Steve - welcome to the boards, and congrats on the set Larry. Its good to hear that CICF was good to you. Another missed year and missed opportunity to meet some of the faces on the forum.

Steve........now that you are on the forum, are we going to get to see some of your german state beauties?
  • Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the board Steve and congrats on completing the set 3Mark image

• Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭

and image
    Becky
  • Options

<< <i>Steve........now that you are on the forum, are we going to get to see some of your german state beauties? >>

Yeah, Steve, please share pics of some of your amazing coins with us image -Preussen
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    Congrats, 3Mark! That's quite an accomplishment, and I salute your patience.

Wilkommen, Steve.
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    That is one beautiful coin. Old German proofs are fantastic. I've only got a singe one myself, a 1923 200 mark, but I hope to add many more over the years image

Marcel
    Ebay user name: 00MadMuffin00
  • Options
    UdoUdo Posts: 984 ✭✭
    Actually, it is hard for me to believe that it is finished.

image It's finished?

So I don't have to seek for one any longer image Congrats Larry! image

image Steve
    imageimage
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>To clarify this post, they are just kidding meimage I have a 25 pfennig set in proof and when I started the set, I was told that the 1909J was the hard one. I bought 16 different ones (21 total for a complete set) from a German collector in 2002 and had one that was not in the set from Germany. I bought the 1909J in a Grün auction in 2003 and thought I would have no trouble finding the remaining 3, which I was told were common. Two were easy, but I could not find the 1910D. I have a Künker/Grün catalog from the 90's where the best German Kaiser Reich minors were sold with many of the examples were proofs and I should have noticed that they had a complete run of 25 pfennigs in proof, except for the 1910D. I had just about given up, after finding just one in German Museums (Bundesbank collection) when I was surprised by Dirk Löbbers (who also stays with Steve and my favorite German dealer) with one on this past Tuesday in Chicago. Actually, it is hard for me to believe that it is finished.image3Mark (Larry Gray) >>

Steve had me going there for awhile, glad all is OK.

Congratulations again on your accomplishment.

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    wildjagwildjag Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the boards Steve. I know you have some fantastic coins and I would love to see them, especially the Hannover ones image
  • Options
    Welcome!!!

~
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    congrats

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    Huber! You're evil. image

3Mark, I'll offer $100 for that proof anytime, just let me know. image
  • Options

<< <i>Huber! You're evil. image

3Mark, I'll offer $100 for that proof anytime, just let me know. image >>

Mac:

What's your address and it's on the way to youimage We missed you at CICF and I noticed Marcel was panhandling because you were a no showimage3Mark
  • Options
    CoinKingCoinKing Posts: 410
    For those who don't know him, Steve H. is a great guy first and a consummate collector of high-quality numismatic delicacies second. Welcome to the boards, Steve.

Larry, congratulations on finishing up your 25 Pfennig set. You have proven that persistence pays off.

Steve M., you are so bad. And to think I was going to send you that Potsdam Church 5 Mark proof you were looking for. Not after what you just pulled. :-)
    Ron Guth
    President
    PCGS CoinFacts - the Internet Encyclopedia of U.S. Coins
    www.CoinFacts.com
  • Options
    CoinKingCoinKing Posts: 410
    Steve M.,

My bad, I confused you with Steve H. on the practical joke. I'll send you that 5 Mark after all, if I ever find one!
    Ron Guth
    President
    PCGS CoinFacts - the Internet Encyclopedia of U.S. Coins
    www.CoinFacts.com
  • Options
    image Hey, I've been good (for a change) image -Preussen