Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Sorry to bore ye all........again

The meaning of life ? I don't know but I am sure that coins have something to do with it.

Zar's Ebay

Comments

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,112 ✭✭✭✭✭
    baaaaa

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    MSD61MSD61 Posts: 3,382
    Boring?? Never Marcel wonderful coin!!
  • Options
    JZraritiesJZrarities Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭
    Marcel, that's awesome!
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimageimage

Another medieval gold? Bah! Why don't you post something that would get the blood flowing? ...

... Something exciting like medieval gold!

• Options
    JoesMaNameJoesMaName Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭
    If you consider that Boring - you must be an "EXTREAM" coin collector image

That little piece of gold is a fantastic slice of history - is it yours?

If so - YOU SUCK! image
    Paul - saved by
    The Fireman...
  • Options
    I hate you and your amazing coins image
  • Options

<< <i>image >>

Very attractive. I don't know much about French hammered gold.

When and where was this struck and by what ruler? What do the legends say? I tried reading them but have trouble due to the unfamiliar style of lettering used.

It's a beautiful coin and I assume rare in such wonderful condition.
    "Think of the Press as a great keyboard on which the Government can play" – Joseph Goebbels

"The Central Intelligence Agency owns everyone of any significance in the major media" - William Colby, former CIA director
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for entering me in this humble giveaway.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    zeebobzeebob Posts: 2,825
    image You should take the day off work and have a party. image

What a fantastic piece of history! Thank you for sharing this beautiful coin on a Monday morning.
  • Options

<< <i>image You should take the day off work and have a party. image

What a fantastic piece of history! Thank you for sharing this beautiful coin on a Monday morning. >>

I work from home but we are having renovations done so work is progressing at a minimum pace.

It's hard to think too deeply when someone is banging a hammer in the next room. image

Lynch - I'll post some info regarding the coin once I have access to my coin literature.

Thanks for your feedback everyone. imageimage
    The meaning of life ? I don't know but I am sure that coins have something to do with it.

Zar's Ebay
  • Options

<< <i>Lynch - I'll post some info regarding the coin once I have access to my coin literature. >>

Found it!

France, Jean le Bon (John the Good) 1350-64, mouton d'or.

My Latin is a bit rusty from disuse, so this might not be an exact translation.

Below the Paschal Lamb of God is the king's name "IOH(annes) REX" (John, King).

The Obverse inscription is "AGN(us) DEI, QUI TOLL(is) PECCATA MU(n)DI, MISERERE NOB(is)", which means "Lamb of God, who taketh away the sins of the world, have mercy upon us".

Reverse: "XPC VINCIT, XPC REGNAT, XPC IMPERAT" means (I think) "Christ Conquers, Christ Rules, Christ Commands".

Cool coin!image
    "Think of the Press as a great keyboard on which the Government can play" – Joseph Goebbels

"The Central Intelligence Agency owns everyone of any significance in the major media" - William Colby, former CIA director
  • Options
    Silvereagle82Silvereagle82 Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭
    Marcel, Marcel, Marcel .... why do you tease us with such a great gold piece....... perhaps a wolf in sheeps clothing ???
    imageHere Here image
  • Options
    JoesMaNameJoesMaName Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Lynch - I'll post some info regarding the coin once I have access to my coin literature. >>

Found it!

France, Jean le Bon (John the Good) 1350-64, mouton d'or.

My Latin is a bit rusty from disuse, so this might not be an exact translation.

Below the Paschal Lamb of God is the king's name "IOH(annes) REX" (John, King).

The Obverse inscription is "AGN(us) DEI, QUI TOLL(is) PECCATA MU(n)DI, MISERERE NOB(is)", which means "Lamb of God, who taketh away the sins of the world, have mercy upon us".

Reverse: "XPC VINCIT, XPC REGNAT, XPC IMPERAT" means (I think) "Christ Conquers, Christ Rules, Christ Commands".

Cool coin!image >>

Thanks for that translation. I wonder if the reverse legend was the Christian answer to Venî, vîdî, vîcî
    Paul - saved by
    The Fireman...
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>"XPC VINCIT, XPC REGNAT, XPC IMPERAT" means (I think) "Christ Conquers, Christ Rules, Christ Commands". >>

Thanks for that translation. I wonder if the reverse legend was the Christian answer to Venî, vîdî, vîcî >>

There is a certain similarity, isn't there? And a certain piousness in taking Caesar's boast and turning it to an expression of faith which contrasts spiritual and temporal power. ("Render unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's".)

The boast of Earthly power is turned to an expression of humility and surrender to God.

I think there must be a connection - it just fits too perfectly to be a mere coincidence.

The inscriptions offer some sense of the importance and power of the Church in medieval times.