Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

OK, bored and thinking

Just read a thread on another board about "hobby vs. investment" and I am bored and feel like talking to myself. Plus, chaz's thread about his bazillion worthless cases got me to thinking.
I started collecting in 1979'ish because I loved Dale Murphy. When I got older, about 1985, I started collecting for investment. Can not tell you how many boxes I busted each year looking for certain players just to resell them and buy more. Just thought I would take some of the collectors my age down memory lane to see if I am the only fool who did this.

1985 Donruss looking for Danny Tartabull, Alvin Davis and Harold "Dont touch my butt" Reynolds
1986 Donruss and Fleer Jose "Why is this needle in my arm" Canseco
1987 Pete Incaviglia, Cory Snyder, BJ Surhoff, Kevin Seitzer (Fleer) but didn't care about Greg Maddux or Bonds
1988 Matt Williams
1989 Hensley Muelens
1990 Matt Nokes, Kevin Maas, David Justice especially the Leaf looking for Frank Thomas but threw away the Sammy Sosas. Remember buying 5 packs at a time at a card shop and pulling a Frank just to trade them in for 5 more packs. How many Sosas did that guy sell about 8 years later?

I know it wasn't just me and I know there are many more examples. Feel free to throw in more to make me feel better. Oh yeah, if anyone is interested, I have 150 Jerry Browne 1987 Donruss rookies for sale.

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had rattholed STACKS of the following players -All rookies and 2nd year cards.

Daryl Strawberry
    Dwight Gooden
    Jose Canseco
    Bo Jackson
    Will Clark
    Wally Joyner
    Kevin Seitzer
    Kevin Mitchell
    Ruben Sierra
  • Options
    How could I forget Kevin Mitchell? What a waste of talent.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Luckily I sold all mine during those boom years.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    I'm still waiting for Brien Taylor to make it big.

But yes, we all grabbed onto Strawberry, Canseco, Gooden, Dykstra, Will Clark, Sabo, etc. thinking they'd be great. That had their moments, but come on. Yet we looked past Sosa, Maddux, Glavine, Schilling, Randy Johnson, etc.

That's part of what makes me wonder if it's foolish for so many people to be throwing money right now at Jobas and Dice-K cards and Longoria's stuff. I guess get it while it's cheaper and hope they become great?
    Atlanta Braves, Charlotte Hornets, Shawn Kemp, Dale Murphy, and Bobby Engram.
  • Options
    cohocorpcohocorp Posts: 1,371 ✭✭
    1982 gary gaetti
    1983 wade boggs, ron kittle, willie mcgee.
    1985 orel hershiser, mark mcgwire
    1986, 1987 jose canseco, barry bonds, will clark, greg maddux

i remember, i remember it all.

i am sitting on about $10,000 in cost of barry bonds cards which i am going to realize about 90 % loss on when i sell them.
  • Options
    cohocorpcohocorp Posts: 1,371 ✭✭
  • Options
    hey what about the Mets savior? gregg Jeffries?! lol
    i ripped open a TON of 88 fleer and Donruss and flipped his cards for $7-12 all day long. Better than hitting the lottery!
  • Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭
    i normally post on the coin boards but i couldnt pass this thread up

500 ct brick of 89 topps orestes destrade

and the horse i was backing in 1988 while everyone else was hoarding gregg jefferies---- GARY THURMAN!!!

greg

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    RoarIn84RoarIn84 Posts: 859 ✭✭
    how many people actually collected 'bricks' pre-1984??? that, to my observation, is when the hobby turned to pure investment. card shows were taking off, price guides were coming into wider circulation, and being there were only 3 major card companies, people figured it was safe to assume that cards had nowhere to go but up. these were also probably the reasons why card companies upped their production more and more every year since. of course in the mid-80s the hobby saw some of its regular issue cards reach triple digits with the Mattingly, Canseco, McGwire and 1984 Fleer Update rookies and those had just been released a couple years prior. The demand greater means the supply must be greater for the next issue........ by 1986 and beyond, what could you possibly have invested in that would be worth anything today? all the stars from then till 1992 turned out to be nothing special. Griffey was already valuable outta the gate. Sosa perhaps, but only if you invested in the Leaf rookies AND got out before 'Roidgate. Maddux? bah, his most valuable would only get you about $3... Bonds perhaps, but only if you jumped on early because he got hot quick. the only set that really brought the hobby back, which everyone missed the boat on was 1992 Bowman and now that set has peaked in value..... But yr bricks, hope for the next Pujols, A-Rod, Jeter and such. Meanwhile, i'll build a bonfire with all my Phil Plantiers, Todd Van Poppels, Odibie McDowells, Jerome Waltons, Pat Listaches and Walt Weisses.....

but then, i was 10 in the mid 80s, what do i really know?????
  • Options
    ok,

I'll make a lot of you feel better ...

When I was younger (so much younger than today) I threw out all of my duplicates including a 1974 topps Pete Rose because I already had one in my collection. It must have been around 1974 and so it went out with my other 1971's, 1972's and 1973's.

Keven Maas myass ...

cheers

• Options
    Also forgot about Pat Listach. He is about the same age as me and only lived about 50 miles from me. Played against him in little league tourneys all the time and of course hoarded his cards too just because I knew him.