Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is this woodgrain toning?

blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
I picked this up becuase I liked the look. Is this considered woodgrain or just a regular toned IHC?

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook

Comments

• Options
    droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭
    Looks like you got some wood there, pal.
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Woodgraining isn't toning but a planchet issue due to improper mixing.

Your IHC doesn't look right to me... it looks molested image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Woodgraining isn't toning but a planchet issue due to improper mixing.

Your IHC doesn't look right to me... it looks molested image >>

I dont know much about IHC's, can you expand on what looks wrong?
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    I thought that woodgrain toning usually has more contrast between the areas of toning. That has an interesting look, but i've not seen one like that before.

I think toning can differ substantially from coin to coin.

The only way we'll know for sure is if everyone posts pics!!!

Here's mine. I bought it raw and have no idea about its origin...the 'look' made me buy it. These things call out to me.

[edit] this one has both a microscopic pattern, evident in these photos...and a larger set of stripes that is less visible in these photos, but comes out more pronounced under different lighting.

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Woodgraining isn't toning but a planchet issue due to improper mixing.

Your IHC doesn't look right to me... it looks molested image >>

I dont know much about IHC's, can you expand on what looks wrong? >>

It looks like it was clean or dipped and recolored, as it looks like it had some cosmetic work.

It also looks very lack lusterimage
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure if this qualifies. I believe it exhibits some of the woodgrain look.

• Options
    This proof also appears to have some of the characteristic.

• Options
    DD Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭
    I concur that the first IHC definately appears cleaned. Clumped different colors around the devices and a wiped / spotty look.

-D
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

-Aristotle

Dum loquimur fugerit invida aetas. Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.

-Horace
  • Options
  • Options
    prooflikeprooflike Posts: 3,879 ✭✭
    I agree with Broadstruck, it looks cleaned/recolored to me too...

...but I like it!

• Options
    p8ntp8nt Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭
    The 1892 in the first post has been messed with. I can't put my finger on it though...
  • Options
    UltraHighReliefUltraHighRelief Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭✭✭
    looks like it has been wiped
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    Heres some info:

USA Coin Album
    by David W. Lange

San Francisco Mint Cents 1908-24

A professional numismatist has the privilege of seeing many more coins than the typical collector, including high-grade pieces that may be beyond his own collecting budget. While this may seem like a potential source of frustration, it’s actually a very rewarding and enlightening experience. Observations can be made over a period of years that simply aren’t possible when limited to one’s own collecting resources.

One thing I’ve noticed while examining uncirculated bronze coins produced by the San Francisco Mint from the onset of coinage there in 1908 through roughly 1924 is that they have some very distinctive features. These often enable one to identify them as ‘S’ Mint products before seeing the mintmark. Though the alloy used for United States cents was prescribed by law, there are peculiarities seemingly unique to cents made at San Francisco.

When entirely untoned, ‘S’ Mint bronze coins have a very pale, brassy color unlike that of the more reddish or coppery cents from the Philadelphia and Denver Mints. For the period described, however, ‘S’ Mint cents are seldom seen untoned. The only issues commonly encountered in that condition are the widely hoarded 1909-S cents, both with and without the designer’s initials "V.D.B." Subsequent dates through the mid-1920s are typically toned to various degrees, though many have survived with partial mint color.

Examples having just light toning often display a pattern of tan or light brown streaks across obverse and reverse, the so-called "woodgrain" pattern. This resulted from impurities in the alloy or concentrations of pure copper that did not properly blend with the 5% tin and zinc added to it. When these less-than-perfect ingots were rolled into strip, from which blanks would later be punched, the concentrations were flattened and stretched into the patterns seen on the finished coins. Invisible when first struck, these flaws appeared only after the coin was exposed to atmospheric agents that caused the copper concentrations to tone more quickly than the properly mixed portions of the planchet.

Woodgrain toning is commonly seen on ‘S’ Mint cents through 1923-24, after which time it is encountered only occasionally. Examination of the U. S. Mint Director’s annual reports for the period in question reveals that cent planchets were alternately made in-house (at the various mints) and purchased from outside vendors. After the mid-1920s, the U. S. Mint gradually phased out the production of both cent and nickel planchets in favor of ready-made ones, and this seems to have standardized the characteristics of planchets used at all the mint facilities.

Though most collectors favor bronze coins that are fully "red," I find this distinctive toning quite charming, and it further serves as an aid to authentication. I’ve never seen a 1909 cent from the Philadelphia Mint that was brassy and displayed woodgrain toning, so the presence of such distinctive features almost guarantees that a cent’s ‘S’ mintmark has not been added to a Philadelphia coin. This is true of both Indian and Lincoln cents.

As noted above, with the exception of 1909-S and 1909-S V.D.B. Lincolns, early ‘S’ cents are seldom seen with all their original color. Most have toned to brown or retain just partial mint red. One peculiarity I’ve noticed about all copper and bronze coins is that sharply struck pieces tend to tone down more readily than weakly struck ones. This is true regardless of date or mint, and I suspect that the relative degree of work-hardening experienced by the planchet determines its resistance to atmospheric toning. This phenomenon is not unique to ‘S’ Mint cents, but it is more critical with them due to their greater overall rarity. It extends even to the bronze one-centavo pieces made there between 1908-20 for use in the Philippine Islands. Having collected this series for years, I have almost never encountered a sharply struck coin having full mint color, while the well struck pieces I’ve owned were always brown or displayed light, woodgrain toning.

David W. Lange's column USA Coin Album appears monthly in Numismatist, the official publication of the American Numismatic Association.

• Options
    Here's mine,
  • Options
    GrivGriv Posts: 2,804
    Here's mine.
  • Options
    ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭

" YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's mine pre-slabbed.
  • Options
    GrivGriv Posts: 2,804

<< <i>Here's mine.
    image >>

This was "pre-slabbed" as well. image
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    For future reference, here's what woodgrain toning looks like on a circulated early Lincoln:

The OP's coin doesn't appear to exhibit what I would call typical woodgrain toning, and the coin looks to be boinked with, but I do believe the toning that has emerged is due to an improper alloy mixture.

Respectfully and humbly submitted as IMHO....Mike
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    richrich Posts: 364
    Here's Mine

1997 Matte Nickel strike thru U
    "Error Collector- I Love Dem Crazy Coins"
    "Money, what is money? It is loaned to a man; he comes into the world with nothing and he leaves with nothing." Billy Durant. Founder of General Motors. He died a pauper.
  • Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AU details cleaned.
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    it looks re colored to me,

the letters on the reverse stand out as well as the loops in 1892 are too light
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I picked this up because I liked the look. Is this considered woodgrain or just a regular toned IHC? >>

I'm sorry to say it looks altered/unnatural; possibly recolored, lacquered, or something.

Edited to add: Here's a Large Cent Woody of mine.

I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file