Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

What ever happened to Don West?

I used to watch this dude in junior high. He came on in the middle of the night on HSN. He seemed to know a lot about this stuff.

Comments

• metalmikemetalmike Posts: 2,152 ✭✭
    Tune in to TNA wrestling Thursday nights on Spike TV or you could go to TNAWRESTLING.COM or DONWEST. ORG I think. Mike
    USN 1977-1987 * ALL cards are commons unless auto'd. Buying Britneycards. NWO for life.
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    He posts here under the Mudflap name.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • cubfan89cubfan89 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭
    The guy sure had a lot of energy and was comical. I miss him.
  • magellanmagellan Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭

<< <i>He posts here under the Mudflap name. >>

I think that's his twin, Jeff West .
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    Did I leave anything out?
  • jrinckjrinck Posts: 1,321 ✭✭
    GEM MINT TENNNNNNNNN!

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,582 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Buy all the Griffey rookies you can, Buy all the Griffey rookies you can."
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

Sorry - I couldn't resist! I love the guy!
    mike

Mike
  • AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    There is some great vids of him on yourtube. His recent comeback with him and Eddie Lewis on shop at home is great. They talk about how great they are and SNL spoofed them, but now they would need Chris Farley to be DOn because he is so fat. He also says Spike Lee stole his line about Griffey UD Rookies in one of his movies.
    They're back on th air? Oh, I got to see this. Eddie used to crack me up cause he just stood there with his evil laugh as Don would be screaming & repeating himself at the top of his lungs. One more question: Does anybody remeber who that guy was who used to be "on the phone" talking with Don. I never did see him but he would sometimes get as loud as Don.
  • elsnortoelsnorto Posts: 2,013

<< <i>They're back on th air? Oh, I got to see this. Eddie used to crack me up cause he just stood there with his evil laugh as Don would be screaming & repeating himself at the top of his lungs. One more question: Does anybody remeber who that guy was who used to be "on the phone" talking with Don. I never did see him but he would sometimes get as loud as Don. >>

I believe you are thinking of hobby "legend", Ken Goldin of Scoreboard infamy, no?

Snorto~
  • I love the scene when a full box of cards fell to the floor and then he proceded to swim through them on the floor. A classic!!

Does anybody have a copy to that link??

<< <i>I love the scene when a full box of cards fell to the floor and then he proceded to swim through them on the floor. A classic!!

Does anybody have a copy to that link?? >>

Link.
    Mike
    That's right, his name was Ken Goldin! Does anybody know what happened to him? Can anybody get a picture of this guy? Always wondered who he was and what he looked like. Thanks!
  • GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    It's too bad Billy Mays isn't a collector.

• << <i>They're back on th air? Oh, I got to see this. Eddie used to crack me up cause he just stood there with his evil laugh as Don would be screaming & repeating himself at the top of his lungs. One more question: Does anybody remeber who that guy was who used to be "on the phone" talking with Don. I never did see him but he would sometimes get as loud as Don. >>

HSN brought them back a couple of months ago as a farewell to the tv portion of their network. They no longer do tv and are strictly on the internet. They had him back along with some of the other guys who did the show over the years. I still used to watch it for a laugh on Saturday nights.
  • Does anyone remember when Don and Eddy use to do the bat chant?

When they use to sell unopened packs/boxes, and someone called in, they did the "bat chant" for good luck. Don and Eddie would each take a Griffey bat, or whatever they were selling, and then aim it at the box, humming to the tune of the old batman show.

Duh nuh duh nuh......bat chant!

LOL. Haha.

Eddie was always the mellow one. He was the voice of reason to Dons insanity. Classic duo.
    So that what Goldin looked like all these years! They really were a classic duo too.
    I remember Don used to always say "It IS SOOO IMPERATIVE that YOU BUY this RIGHT NOW!!!!" image
  • He is so annoying on TNA
    EDDIE: Hold on a second. Wait a seccond. You can't remove the cards from the plaque?

DON: No you can't. There is no way you can removes the cards from the plaque.

EDDIE: Hold on here I just took the card off the plaque.

DON: What?

EDDIE: Yeah.

DON: What?

EDDIE: Yeah.

DON: You mean you can take the Shaq cards off the Shaq plaque if you want to?

EDDIE: You can take the cards off.

DON: This is too much. The phones are ringing

EDDIE: I can't stop the phones. The cards can come off the plaque.

DON: The posters still here. How many do we have left?

RONNIE: You're not going to believe this. 400!

BOTH: Get out of here!

EDDIE: The phones are ringing!

DON: I'm going out of my mind!

EDDIE: I think I'm going to have a heart attack right here.

DON: Eddie, you're not going to beleive this. Kirk Cameron just called and he even can't get through.

EDDIE: Folks. We're talking Kirk Cameron here. Kirk.

EDDIE: I'm having a heart attack!

DON: I'm going out of my mind!

EDDIE: I'll tell you what. I'm going to make it easy on us all. I'm going to shoot myself in the head. I can not take this madness.

DON: Folks. This this is no joke. That gun he's holding, get a close up can you? This is from the Dirty Harry collection. It does not fire but he will find a way to make it work.

EDDIE: If Shaq can fly, I will kill myself with this replica gun which we'll be selling later this half hour.

DON: Now Ronnie how many plaques do we have left?

RONNIE: About 300.

BOTH: Get out of here!

EDDIE: The phones are ringing folks.

DON: I hate to lose you buddy but, I can't do a thing. The poster's still included!
  • savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,267 ✭✭✭✭
    don was good, dont get me wrong but does anyone here miss the tom o'dell (and his little buddy shawn) knife show?

Click here for a 'treat'

greg

www.brunkauctions.com

OHHHHHH, THAT Hurt!!! I was laughing so hard my belly was hurting!
  • Don's website

This has some great stuff on it

Red

Looking for 81-84 Topps Stickers in PSA 9 or better, 81 Topps Scratch offs, 83 Topps Fold outs in PSA 8 or better, 83 Fleer Stamps and 81/86 Fleer Star Stickers in PSA 9 or better.
    >

I didn't know Will Ferrel did a Don West. That was alright!
  • jrinckjrinck Posts: 1,321 ✭✭
    Don West is one of those rare individuals that you'd want to shake hands with your right, while giving him an uppercut with your left.
    You have to admit, he was entertaining though.

<< <i>You have to admit, he was entertaining though. >>

I was visiting Martha's vineyard when we saw them on some obscure channel - we didn't have Shop at Home on our cable in NYC at the time.

It was around 1993 - I went nuts!!!!!!

I thought it was priceless! All the screaming and hype! Pure entertainment.

When I was stationed at Ft Drum, NY - it came on late on Saturday nite - I stayed up special to watch it - there was nothing like it.

In fact, I wish they were still doing it - I would watch it again.

Kenny - calling in? He's a piece of work!

Sign me up!
    mike
    Mike
  • EstilEstil Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>They're back on th air? Oh, I got to see this. Eddie used to crack me up cause he just stood there with his evil laugh as Don would be screaming & repeating himself at the top of his lungs. One more question: Does anybody remeber who that guy was who used to be "on the phone" talking with Don. I never did see him but he would sometimes get as loud as Don. >>

Potential SNL parody:

*Kenny (the guy on the phone) gets shot by a disgruntled customer*

Don: OH...MY...GOD!!!! THEY KILLED KENNY!!!!!! YOU B*beep*RDS!!!!!!!!!!! Folks you better be dialing right now...
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P+S, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 61D, 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • mudflap02mudflap02 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭
    McGwire Cookie Rookie!!!
    "You need to be dialing the phone gang, RIGHT NOW!!!!"imageimage
  • Don West was fired from Shop At Home. I once ordered a Blue Chip Special (I'm sure you remember those) and I asked if I could somehow contact Don West. The operator told me that he was just fired from the network. This was 2001, I believe.

A question, though. If you watch those youtube Don West clips, you'll notice that they're displaying their cards on a plastic display case, a set of countertop stairs in which the cards are placed on. Anyone know where we can get these?
    They make cardboard ones like that, I have a few I use for shows. One of the box companies make them.
    Why in the world would they fire the most entertaining guy at the network? Makes zero sense.
  • actually, when I talked to the network due to a mess up with my order, they said that they were under new ownership and that they wanted to change their style of selling. Obviously didn't work, as I believe Shop at Home is off the air.
  • any idea what to call it?
  • brianwintersfanbrianwintersfan Posts: 3,626 ✭✭

<< <i>actually, when I talked to the network due to a mess up with my order, they said that they were under new ownership and that they wanted to change their style of selling. Obviously didn't work, as I believe Shop at Home is off the air. >>

Well the tv portion is gone but they are still on the internet. As I said they brought Don back a couple of months ago when they were going off the air. It wasn't quite the same as the old days but it was still cool to have him back on the air.
  • brianwintersfanbrianwintersfan Posts: 3,626 ✭✭

<< <i>any idea what to call it? >>

BCW Supplies use to carry the cardboard ones but I don't see them on their site anymore. If I can find someone else who has them I will post a link.

Card Display
  • GuruGuru Posts: 3,127
    Didn't he play batman on the TV show in the '60's? LOL, about as campy as Adam West.
  • metalmikemetalmike Posts: 2,152 ✭✭
    Don West TNA autos are live on the bay now.
    USN 1977-1987 * ALL cards are commons unless auto'd. Buying Britneycards. NWO for life.
  • leathtechleathtech Posts: 3,191
    More Classic QVC...

Dude you got a Dell
  • Thought of Mudflap, but for all you D.West junkies
    July 23rd show, Don West recounts his "Glory" days image

http://sportscollectingradio.com/podcast/

Enjoy Ooops..^^ Linkage for easier access
    Sig: Looking for a recent smr magazine, Please pm if you have one to recycle. Thank You
  • mosaicmosaic Posts: 700
    Don West helped me get through college and my first couple years after relocating to Vermont. Yes, he was a crook, and Kenny Goldin was worse, but they were late-night GOLD.

"Oh maw gawd, Kenny, they get ten rooookiiiesss?! And they're all GEM MINT 10s?!?!?! If you aren't online for this deal, you're going to kill yourself!"

I miss Shop-At-Home...
    Nolan Ryan & Edgar Martinez are my favorite players...
    mosaic's Nolan Ryan Basic Topps registry set
    mosaic's Big 3 Nolan Ryan Run Showcase
  • GonblottGonblott Posts: 1,951 ✭✭

<< <i>Don West

I miss Shop-At-Home... >>

Me too

Just ran across this video on YouTube, Video Link

Instant favorite for me