Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Who out there likes 20th Century Mexican's

And I don't mean women. I have one of those, and lets say I don't have to listen to the coins when they have an attitude. Their moods, the coins that is, tend to be very, very consistant as long as you don't change their environments to much.

Regarding the header, what I mean are 20th century key and semi key date coins, super high end condition rarity stuff, type or series sets. The key word I guess is quality, because there is a lot of junk mexican coins out there.

I'd like to correspond with like minded enthusiasts in the LA area, but it doesn't necessarily have to be geographically confined. I know there are people in Texas, Arizona, New Mex. that are active.

Perhaps we can start a little discussion group.
Any others like minded folks out there? Could be an interesting pursuit.

If there is already a good group in action let me know about it. That could save considerable time and work.

Mexico as most know, is a sizeable and challanging field. The ground work was laid in the 30's right thru the 70's by guys like Utberg, Long, Flores, Douglas,Gaytan, Predeau just to name a few. I see lots of upside in all aspects Mexican numismatics.

It's a country with a romantic history and to understand that comment, you need to know Mexico.

Do others agree with the overall idea?
Thanks
Mike

Mike

About Rare Coins
12562-B Central Ave
Chino, CA 91710
mike@gemcoins.net
www.gemcoins.net

Comments

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the Caballito design but I haven't seen that many with nice eye appeal. Maybe I'm not looking in the right places.
  • Options
    Your not, tell me what you want and I can get it for you. You're going to have to make the price/quality compromize. I always say, buy the best date in the highest grade you can afford and then stretch a little (no not me that made up the expression but its true). If you are dealing with the right guy, chances are very good that you'll get a very good coin.

Mike
    Mike

About Rare Coins
    12562-B Central Ave
    Chino, CA 91710
    mike@gemcoins.net
    www.gemcoins.net
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have not really contemplated 20th Century Mexican coinage by rarity as much as by artistic merit. However, I agree that buying quality will pay off over the long haul.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love scarce date Mexican in high quality...20th or 19th cetury...I saw a few pieces sell this weekend at CICF, including a fully gem cabillito.

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My Mexican focus is a little earlier than 20th Century (War of Independence), but I do keep an eye out for any interesting decimals.
  • Options
    FilamCoinsFilamCoins Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

imageimage
  • Options
    dizzleccdizzlecc Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭
    I have recently started collecting Mexico coins. I'm doing more learning than buying at the moment.

My focus is currently on the 19th century Cap and Rays 8 reales but the interest has lead me to some 20th century designs.

I like the Cabillito but I have been picky. I would have liked to have seen the fully gem to know the strike characteristics. I have seen some MS63 but held back with the thought of obtaining a better piece.

I have recently been exposed to coins from the Mexico revolution and could get into a collection of the more affordable peso's in AU and above.
  • Options
    I love Mexican coinage as well.

Here's one of my favorite 20th century.

1921 50 Pesos

Centennial of Independence AKA "Centenario"

~
  • Options
    The 50 Pesos Gold and even the 1921 silver 2 Pesos are very attractive coins

• Options
    ...did somebody say Dos Pesos? image

~
  • Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mexican coins are nicely designed IMO and I like collecting them. My collection isn't very big right now but eventually I hope to get some examples of the various types.

K
    ANA LM
  • Options
    I did say Dos Pesos... nice coin

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Your not, tell me what you want and I can get it for you. You're going to have to make the price/quality compromize. I always say, buy the best date in the highest grade you can afford and then stretch a little (no not me that made up the expression but its true). If you are dealing with the right guy, chances are very good that you'll get a very good coin. >>

How much do quality Caballitos go for?
  • Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭
    dos pesos of a different flavor:

they are still minting this date in both 2 and 2 1/2 peso gold correct? any printed mintage figures i would take as estimates

greg

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    Ex - WWW ( Bill ):

Ex - JamminJ ( amongst others ):

The meaning of life ? I don't know but I am sure that coins have something to do with it.

Zar's Ebay
  • Options
    percybpercyb Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭
    I don't usually kiss and tell, but I have met some beautiful senoritas in my time!! image
    "Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Speaking of nice caballitos... Currently back at NGC after being BB'ed by PCGS for *gasp* cleaning.