Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

.5 Bump- Yes or No?

What do you think?

More to come!

Let me know what you think and feel free to upload your cards for review on here as well.

Comments

• Options
    chaz43chaz43 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭
    Sorry, no. chaz
  • Options
    no on the Koufax. i have no idea on the Ryan
    White Whales:
    1996 Select Certified Mirror Gold Ozzie Smith
    2006 Bowman Chrome Orange Refractor Chris Carpenter
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    Both are nice cards. No one has, as yet, been able to definitively tell me why some cards get bumped but most don't. The Ryan is great, but does the back centering prevent a .5 bump? No freakin' idea. Hope that helps.
  • Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    No on the Koufax, but it's a beauty.

If it were me I'd bump the Ryan.

"Molon Labe"

• Options
    recently submitted 12 examples with exceptional eye-appeal for bump review...
    ONE was awarded...
    after a lengthy phone conversation with joe o, he stated that some of the cards could have received the bump, but their graders were being particularly strict currently!
    he then suggested that i wait six months & re-submit...
    personally, i would not even consider submitting for review until much later this year, or next, if at all.
  • Options
    GonblottGonblott Posts: 1,951 ✭✭
    Thanks so far for the advice. Wasn't too sure myself on some of these so I figured I'd give it a shot.

Heres more....

• Options

<< <i>
    after a lengthy phone conversation with joe o, he stated that some of the cards could have received the bump, but their graders were being particularly strict currently!
    he then suggested that i wait six months & re-submit...
    if at all. >>

That is weak. Why whould PSA say a card might be an 8 now but an 8.5 in a year? Will the corners regenerate themselves? Will the corners become more square? Will the picture shift on the card to become more centered? I do, at least, like the fact that Joe will talk to members personally when they call.

Getting to your original question, I think the Ryan has a shot. I have seen many 9s with MUCH worse centering on the back. A bump on that card could easliy be worth $500-$1500, maybe more. I don't know much about the 55s, but the bottome right corner looks like a 7. Very nice card though.
    #10 PSA Set for Topps Baseball currently on eBay under seller deeppurple1.
  • Options
    68s - No on the Bench. The Mantle looks nice, Back could be the problem. I had a really nice 8 that had one corner probably kept it from a 9, under a loupe only though.
    #10 PSA Set for Topps Baseball currently on eBay under seller deeppurple1.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I have no idea, my advice would be to not send them in. They are what they are. The .5 bump IMO is not what it is cracked up to be......yet.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭
    Sweet cards. I think the bump is difficult to attain right now. THis has been my experience on three subs anyhow. I think the 69 Ryan has a good shot though. Just my opinion.
  • Options
  • Options
    Beautiful cards Gonblott.

If you don't mind me asking, what did that Cobb set you back?

Jay
    3000 Hit CLub signed ball - 8/19 Living Members

Successful Deals: tennesseebanker, jvette,
  • Options
    Paid just a little over $1000.00 I believe......I have to check for sure.

• Options
    Those are some beautiful cards and high end for the grade regardless if they get the bump or not (I think the 69 Ryan has a shot). I can tell centering is a priority for you. I agree grading has overall been very strict lately. I've seen plenty of cards recently graded an 8 that probably would have been 9's a while back. Great for buyers, namely me, but bad for sellers and submitters.
    Keith
  • Options

<< <i>Paid just a little over $1000.00 I believe......I have to check for sure.

image >>

Thanks. I was just curious because I see some (diff. versions) on Ebay for $2-$4k. I'm still learning which are "real" prices and which are inflated.

Thanks again,
    Jay
    3000 Hit CLub signed ball - 8/19 Living Members

Successful Deals: tennesseebanker, jvette,
  • Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    If you are going to keep them I would not worry about it. If you are selling them, I would likely send most in as bump odds and payout likely warrant it.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options

<< <i>

image >>

Thanks. I was just curious because I see some (diff. versions) on Ebay for $2-$4k. I'm still learning which are "real" prices and which are inflated.

Thanks again,
    Jay >>

I agree the prices on eBay are high but some sellers are nice and have a best offer option. Next t206 I want is TY COBB Green PSA 5....just waiting until I can find one thats centered.

Good luck on your hunt.
  • Options
    "after a lengthy phone conversation with joe o, he stated that some of the cards could have received the bump, but their graders were being particularly strict currently"

why would he say that? thats weak, it implies that standards change on the whim of their graders. ridiculous.

the 1/2 point bump is a scam.
  • Options
    I still don't think you should pay full price for service when you just want to see if your already graded card can get .5 bump.

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I agree I don't like that explanation either.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    "after a lengthy phone conversation with joe o, he stated that some of the cards could have received the bump, but their graders were being particularly strict currently"

"why would he say that? thats weak, it implies that standards change on the whim of their graders. ridiculous."

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Sadly, ALLTPGs take their outside-limits from those set by the market.

IF the market accepts the appearance of a card at a certain grade, more
    such cards will follow. If the market looks at a .5 and says, "Too Liberal,"
    the TPGs will back off and be "particulary strict."

Market-Grading has the capacity to KILL the usefulness of TPGs.

I want strict standards, and I want them adhered to. Most complaints
    about low grades should fall on deaf ears at PSA. I don't want my items
    devalued by liberalized standards. If that is going to happen, we might
    as well sell ALL 8s/9s/10s right now; they will only be worth less if
    "market grading" takes hold.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't a clue - it's so hard from pics on a screen.

I just wanted to say that I enjoyed your cards - they're beauties and I would be proud to have them in my collection!

Good luck if you decide to sub them for the bump.

mike

edit: reminds me of a takeoff for a new song - "The Humpty Bump" - a do the humpty bump.
    Mike
  • Options
    mkg809mkg809 Posts: 1,320 ✭✭
  • Options
    Never heard of that song... image
  • Options
  • Options
    good luck!
  • Options
    msassinmsassin Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭
    Good luck
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

image >>

Thanks again,
    Jay >>

I agree the prices on eBay are high but some sellers are nice and have a best offer option. Next t206 I want is TY COBB Green PSA 5....just waiting until I can find one thats centered.

Good luck on your hunt. >>

You must have got the cobb awhile ago to get a 5 for only $1000.