Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Saw these Phillipines Type Set Albums (empty & full) on eBay

I remember seeing several conversations in the not-too-distant past regarding people either looking for an album or set, so thought I'd put out this link to anyone interested!

- - Daveimage

empty album link

full set & album link

Comments

• Options
    Thank you for posting this link. The Albums are useful and, as the seller states, scarce. $49 is a reasonable price, too.

Best wishes,

Just Having Fun
    Jefferson nickels, Standing Libs, and US-Philippines rock
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sawadee,
    Is $500 too high for the complete set in those grades? I really don't know.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dont think that the price is too high. I think it will sell. (i could be wrong) The Quezon commemms are very desirable and hard to locate even in those grades. Most i have seen have been sea salvaged. JMHO. Bob
    Here is another empty one.
    I found the following information on a website;

"The Commonwealth of the Philippines was a political designation to the Filipino people by the U.S. government for the Philippines, which ran from 1935 to 1946. The Commonwealth of the Philippines was envisioned as a transition government to rule for 10 years, preparatory to full Philippine independence. The Commonwealth was established after the acceptance by the Philippine Legislature of the Philippine Independence Act, popularly known as the Tydings-McDuffie Law. The law authorized the drafting of a constitution for the Philippines, by a popularly-elected constitutional convention. Upon the ratification of the constitution by the Filipino people, it would then be submitted to the President of the United States who would certify its having met certain requirements in the Independence Act. Thereafter, the Filipino people would then be permitted to elect their own government with full autonomy.

October 1935, the Filipinos held the first national election in its history, electing President Manuel L. Quezon as its first President. With the inauguration of the Philippine Commonwealth in 1936, three commemorative coins was released to commemorate the event, featuring U.S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt, Governor-General to the Philippines William Francis Murphy, and President Manuel Quezon, with the denomination (2) One Peso coin and (1) Half Peso.

That, in early 1942, after the fall of Manila, which was then declared as Open City, it is said that the Japanese Imperial Army, threw all Philippine-U.S. Coinage which was retrieved from the Manila Mint, at the Bays of Manila, which mostly includes the said series of commemoratives.

That, at present, after treasure hunters and collectors dived in and retrieved some of the coins at the bays of Manila, most of these kind of coins was seen eroded and has slightevidence of deterioration due to the effects of the sea water to the coin metal itself. And for me these are one of the collections you shouldn't miss."
  • Options
    JoesMaNameJoesMaName Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭
    Nice set, that one must have been fun to put together.
    Seems like a reasonable price to me.
    Paul - saved by
    The Fireman...
  • Options
    Sawadeekhrap ajaan.

I wouldn't pay $500 for that. The 1936 pesos and 50 centavo are admittedly cleaned and probably salvage. Key coins worth very little.

I can't tell for sure from a scan, but some of the other coins looked cleaned, dipped, or whatever. My bet is that it doesn't sell.

Buying raw from scans -- save your money until you can see the coins in person. If they don't sell, you can ask him to send it to you on approval.

Best wishes,

Just Having Fun
    Jefferson nickels, Standing Libs, and US-Philippines rock
  • Options
    FilamCoinsFilamCoins Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

Very trustworthy and reliable seller for those interested.