Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Books on emergency coinage or the history of such?

Can anyone help with this subject? I am doing research to determine if anyone has ever written anything dealing with, for instance tokens, chits, notgeld, hardtime tokens, Revolutionary coinage, etc... and how each was able to circumvent the problems of the lack of sources of the currencies that they were used to. For some reason, I find this subject this subject fascinating. Any help would be appreciated. If you know of any books that cover this subject in any way I would love to hear about it. Thanks. -Dan

Comments

• 1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭✭
    I've seen a book on the Jewish Ghetto coinage on eBay. There are a few catalogues for German Notgeld - coins and paper. Rulau has catalogued US hardtimes tokens.

Check Abebooks.com
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    Great site!! I did find a book that was written a while ago that may be fun to read. Thanks Gene! -Dan
  • DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭
    Kenneth Bressett's Milestone Coins: A Pageant of the World's Most Significant and Popular Money covers many emergency issues, wartime issues, hard times tokens, etc.

David Vagi reviewed the book in the most recent issue of The Celator. He notes that

"...the history of money is inextricably linked with war and atrocity, a theme that Bressett consistently investigates to the benefit of the reader."

I think Milestone Coins is precisely the book you're looking for.

• JZraritiesJZrarities Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭
    Milestone Coins is a GREAT book.