Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Some New Papal and Italian Medals

Just sharing a few new medals I've picked up over the past several weeks. In addition to my normal focus of papal/Vatican medals, I've also recently become interested in general Italian medals of the Renaissance and Baroque periods. Included below are my first two pieces in this sort of mini-collection that I might start. I'm most certainly a neophyte in this area, and would appreciate any comments you could offer towards a better understanding of these medals and this area.

Election of Innocent XIII, 1721

Bronze, 43.5 mm Ø, 29.1 g

Obverse: Bust of Innocent XIII facing right wearing camauro, mozzetta, and decorative stole. The stole features a radiant cross above a crowned eagle. Around, INNOC · XIII · PONT · MAX ·. Beneath the bust, VESTNER. F..

Reverse: Above and around, IN COELIS CONSVRGET MICHAEL PRINCEPS MAGNVS . DAN . 1 .. Allegorical figure of a woman sits on the left, wearing the papal tiara, holding a triple cross in her right hand and a chalice and plaque with crude portrait in her left hand. She looks and leans to her left on a stone, on which is inscribed IN TERRIS INNOCEN - TIVS DECIMVS TERTIVS. At right, a band of three heretics is seen fleeing. In the background, on a rock in the water, a domed church. Above, an angel flying rightward holding a banner, on which is written VT VINIDICET.

Medal created by Georg Wilhelm Vestner to commemorate to the election of Pope Innocent XIII. The upper inscription is adapted from the first line of Daniel 12:1 and translates as "In Glory There Shall Arise Michael, the Great Prince". This refers to Innocent XIII's birth name of Michelangelo Conti. The inscription on the stone (IN TERRIS INNOCEN - TIVS DECIMVS TERTIVS) is a chronogram for 1721 (MDCCVVVIIIIII). This inscription translates as "On Earth, Innocent the Thirteenth", and is related to the upper inscription's statement about the rising of a great prince Michael. The inscription in the banner held by the angel can be translated as "Through Punishment". This combines with the figure of the woman, representing the Church, holding a plaque with a portrait of the new pope and looking at the fleeing heretics on the right side of the medal. Innocent XIII was known for his ability and purity, and seems thus as a reference to the idea that he would help to punish the heretics. The crowned eagle on the pontiff's stole on the obverse is taken from his coat of arms.

Pius IX - Opening of the First Vatican Council (1869)

Silver, 74 mm Ø, 190.0 g

Obverse: Bust of Pius IX facing left wearing zucchetto, cloak, and decorative stole. The stile features Pius IX's coat of arms and a Greek cross above. Around, PIVS · IX · PONT · MAX · SACRI · PRINC · A · XXIV · Below, I · BIANCHI · S ·.

Reverse: Scene of Jesus standing among his apostles. His right hand is raised, pointing to the sky, and he hands keys with his left hand to a kneeling St. Peter. Around, TIBI · DABO · CLAVES · REGNI · CAELORVM. In exergue, CONCILIO · OECVM · VATICANO · FELICITER · COEPTO / VI · ID · DECEMBR · A · MDCCCLXIX. On the ground line in small lettering, FRAN · BIANCHI · INV · ET · SCVL.

Medal issued to commemorate the opening of the First Vatican Council in 1869. The obverse is the work of Giuseppe Bianchi, while the reverse was designed and sculpted by Francesco Bianchi. The upper inscription is the first part of the line from Matthew 16:19, which translates as "I will give you the keys to the kingdom of heaven". This alludes to the authority of the Vatican council, especially the remaining part of the line not included in the inscription: et quodcumque ligaveris super terram, erit ligatum in caelis, et quodcumque solveris super terram, erit solutum in caelis ("and whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven; and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven"). The exergue inscription can be translated as "The Ecumenical Council of the Vatican Begins Favourably", and the date of the opening of the council (December 8, 1969) is provided at the bottom using the Julian calendar (VI · ID · DECEMBR · A · MDCCCLXIX).

Medal for Participants in the Second Vatican Council

Silver, 50 mm Ø, 100.6 g

Obverse: Allegorical figure of a woman with her hand raised in benediction. Within the design, at bottom, GRECO.

Reverse: At the top, the coat of arms of Rome. Outer text around, ECUMENICO VATICANO SECONDO MCMLXII - MCMLXV CONCILIO. Inner text around, AI PADRI CONCILIARI ROMA. Engraved in the center, + FRANCISCVS FASOLA. At the bottom, in small lettering, S. JOHNSON - MILANO.

Medal given to the participants in the Second Vatican Council, with the participant's name engraved in the center of the reverse. The obverse was designed by the Italian sculptor Emilio Greco, and the medal was produced by the firm of Stefano Johnson in Milan. The medals were presented in the name of the Roman senate and people (SQPR, the Senatus Populusque Romanus, or "The Senate and People of Rome"). The outer reverse inscription indicates that the medal commemorates the "Second Ecumenical Council of the Vatican, 1962 - 1965", and the inner inscription indicates that the medal is from "Rome to the Conciliar Fathers".

The Second Vatican Council was opened by Pope John XXIII on October 11, 1962, and was closed under Pope Paul VI on December 8, 1965. The council was divided into four sections, meeting in the autumn of each of the years 1962 through 1965. The council produced wide-ranging changes throughout the Church which are still debated today.

Girolamo Savonarola

Bronzed Base Metal, 94 x 89.5 mm, 363 g

Obverse: Bust of Girolamo Savonarola facing left in monastic hood and gown.Around, between two listels, F · HIERONYMVS SAVONAROLA ORDINIS PRAEDICAT.

Reverse: On the right, a robed hand with sword in the sky. On the left, the Holy Spirit and a shower of flames falling towards the earth. Around, a large border lacking an inscription.

Anonymous medal of Girolamo (also translated as Hieronymus) Savonarola, believed created sometime after hsi death in 1498. Often attributed to the Florentine school of Niccolò Fiorentino, Fra. Mattia della Robbia has also been identified as being possibly responsible for this medal. The obverse inscription identifies its subject as "Friar Hieronymous Savonarola of the Order of Preachers". The reverse design is a representation of a vision of Savonarola, in which the sword of God strikes at the earth. This reverse design is common on Savonarola medals, and is depicted on a medal in the collection of the National Gallery of Art (though this specific medal is not represented in the NGA collection). The reverse design of this medal seems unfinished, as a surrounding inscription is lacking from a space obviously intended for one. A specimen of this medal is also present in the collection of the Museo Lázaro Galdiano of Madrid, Spain.

Girolamo Savonarola gave prophetic apocalyptic preachings to the city of Florence. He preached about the need for change in the Church, and also spoke out against Lorenzo de'Medici, a powerful ruler in Florence. When warned against speaking thusly against Lorenzo, Savonarola replied, "Though I am here a stranger and he the highest citizen, yet I shall remain and he shall depart"; in 1492, Lorenzo died. He also continued to warn, "Ecce gladius Domini super terram, cito et velociter" ("Behold the sword of the Lord, swift and sure, over the earth"). The invasion of Florence by the French in 1494 is considered the realization of this prophecy, in which the ruling Medicis were overthrown and Savonarola emerged as the leader of the city. Continuously angering the Duke of Milan and Pope Alexander VI, Savonarola was excommunicated in 1497 and executed in 1498 for supposed heresies and other crimes.

Johanna of Austria

Gilt Base Metal, 74 mm Ø, 87.1 g

Obverse: Bust of Johanna of Austria facing left. Around, IOANNA · AVSTRIACA · MAG · DVX · ETRVRÆ ·.

Reverse: Eagle flying upwards. Above, AD · ETHERA.

Medal created around 1740 of Johanna of Austria, first wife of Francesco I de'Medici, by Antonio Francesco Selvi. This was one of a series of medals remembering the members of the Medici family produced by Selvi and Bartolommeo Vagelli. The obverse inscription identifies its subject as "Giovanna of Austria, Grand Duchess of Etruria". On the obverse inscription, DVX should more properly be DVC, short for "ducissa". The reverse inscription translates as "To the Heavens", and should more properly read AD · ÆTHERA. A uniface obverse version of this medal, with a much larger rim brining the total diameter of the piece to 86.2 mm, is present in the collection of the National Gallery of Art. The detail of the NGA obverse is far superior than on this piece. However, the wear of the gilding and hole for suspension at the top could lead to a conclusion that this specimen was created somewhat early on with the intention of being worn, rather than simply a crude aftercast for collectible purposes.

Johanna of Austria was born in Prague on January 24, 1547, the daughter of Ferdinand I, Holy Roman Emperor, and Anna of Bohemia and Hungary. On December 18, 1565, she was married to Francesco I de'Medici, and bore him eight children through twelve years of marriage. She died on Apil 10, 1578, in Florence.

Comments

• There's a book written by Stephen Scher titled Perspectives on the Renaissance Medal that I found interesting.
  • JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Greate stuff as always Joe.
    Thanks for taking the time to share your beautiful pieces.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭
    Nice medals Iosephus!

I really like the oversized papal medals of Pius IX. I have one of the 1869 Council medals, but in bronze. Had not seen a silver before, great pickup! The 2nd Vatican Council piece by Greco is also very historic and a nice design as well.

Congrats!

imageimageimageimageimage
    Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!