Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Need Advice About Fireproof Safes

I was looking at a fireproof safe at Wal-Mart. It's a SentrySafe - model #MSW3517 - with 1 hour of UL Classified fire protection.

According to the company's web site, the one-hour fire rating indicates that the interior of the unit will remain below 350° F (177° C) when exposed to fire at temperatures of 1700° F (927° C) for one hour. It should be noted that fires usually travel through a structure, and that the average house fire ranges in temperatures of 900° to 1200° F for approximately 20 minutes.

Anyone out there familiar with safes? I would guess that a $100 dollar bill wouldn't be harmed inside this safe. But what about a slabbed baseball card?

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Comments

• Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    Everybody I know uses Sentry products.

If you have a broken slab, you can try to melt/soften it in the oven @ 350 for 30-minutes.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    mkg809mkg809 Posts: 1,320 ✭✭
    This is what I have.

Got it at Dick's.

It is fire resistant and waterproof. I think $599.
  • Options
    I don't know what price range you're looking in , but mine is a Pentagon and it is really a gun safe with a 90 minute fire rating and a 14 bolt system 60" by 38"

I think it's rated to take something like 2300 deg. which these temps it would get to . . . unless I hit it with a blow torch and even then I'm not getting through it .

It has the 5" step door with the expandable gaskets .

Something like a bank vault , only a lot smaller , I paid 2700 for it , but it's worth every penny , it it bolted to the basement slab with 5" anchor bolts .

• Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Here's a good one

Liberty Safe

I used to have my cards in this one before I opted for the safety depo boxes. Solid, safe, and great fire rating.
    We get wildfires out here every year, and when they interview the people on the news the first thing they always say is "we lost the pictures"
    Cards are replaceable, your family pictures and videos aren't. Get a bigger safe and save a couple of shelfs for them.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    This is the SentrySafe I have. Picked it up fairly cheap at Lowes too. Home Depot may have it as well.

imageimageimage

• Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    My burglar friends all tell me:

"There are two ways to lose your safe. Tell me you have it, and tell me where it is."
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    Costco has a pretty sweet looking Brinks gun safe much like Brian48's... not sure if it's fire proof or not but the price is right for how large it is.
  • Options
    Its called a safety deposite box!

No really, you should definetly look in to a box at your local bank, its cheap for the year and you get peace of mind.

Giovanni
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    Just move into the WV hills and build a compound like rube did. You will throw a trip wire long before you get to his safe.
  • Options
    "My burglar friends all tell me:"

Now that right there made me smile .

I know a guy that can get into these safes <~~ Is that a word ?

• Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    Do you guys also have some type of humidity control in your safes?
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    I keep bags of silica and chemical treated paper that gives off vapor in the safe. Keeps the rust off the guns and insects away from the cards.
  • Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I recently picked this up. I like it because of the shelving. I have it lagged down to the floor. I keep all of my slabbed cards from my registry in it, and have not regretted buying this since I have owned it.

• Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I know a guy that can get into these safes >>

Most of the home safe models are not that hard to get into if you know what you are doing. The main purpose is to keep the thief from an easy smash and grab. Even a cheap walmart safe will keep most out unless the brought some extra tools for the job or try to steal the whole safe. I have a friend who has a pressure sealed container of gun powder taped to the inside of the door to his safe. I said well wouldn't that destroy everything in it if it is set off? He said yeah, but atleast the SOB trying to get in with the torch will be easy to find.
  • Options
    Sounds like Randy . . .
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Do you guys also have some type of humidity control in your safes? >>

Most manufacturers offer dehumidifiers.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's