Home U.S. Coin Forum

HK-222 Help needed!

Alright So-called dollar guys, I was browsing the forum the other day, and my uncle came over and started reading over my shoulder. He saw a Hk-222, World's Columbian Expo so-called dollar. He immediately wanted one. So, after much discussion, he decided that he wants me to purchase one for him. I don't know where to begin. A couple questions:

1) How much do these cost, either TPG slabbed, or in original packaging?
2) Where can I find them in a relatively quick time?
3) Is there anything I should look for when purchasing one for him?

Thanks in advance!!
To support LordM's European Trip, click here!

Comments

• MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    You'll find them slabbed and raw, they can range from $250 up, and like coins cleaning and hairlines. I had 10 ready to go a week ago and they all sold.
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    less than $200 raw in the original pill-box.

<< <i>less than $200 raw in the original pill-box. >>

Where???

you expect me to tell you everything????

• << <i>you expect me to tell you everything???? >>

You could tell me image
  • BearBear Posts: 18,953 ✭✭✭
    Yes! We expect you to tell us everything!image
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
    The 222 is made of aluminum

and as such is very subject to

hairlines. I would buy one NGC

slabbed in at least MS-64 or

65 grade.
    Camelotimage

• << <i>The 222 is made of aluminum

and as such is very subject to

hairlines. I would buy one NGC

slabbed in at least MS-64 or

65 grade. >>

Do you have any idea where I can get one?
    Type in "So Called Dollars" into Google search.
    Camelotimage
  • Ebay your 24 hour everything nder the sun store!!
    not my auction but what you are lookin for
    OK, OK already. the key is patience, just look around and consider waiting a short period. what's happening right now is two-fold: first, as SC$'s gained in popularity dealers/collectors who had them for years suddenly discovered that they could sell them for a profit. secondly, when the new book came out it had a comprehensive albeit flawed price-guide in it which could be referenced to price medals accordingly. the end result is that now everybody who knows nothing realizes they can place a price on an item based solely on ignorance!!!

certainly actual rarity and popular demand figure into the price of an item, but the "dealers and collectors" who know nothing and are new to the niche tend to price evrything at the top of the price-guide estimate. look at the listings, you'll see values like $300-$1000 and when you find a nice medal in a dealer showcase it'll be listed at $850 even though the dealer has no knowledge of other same number items to compare for a base price and is actually ignorant to the niche. it's very frustrating.

i recently tried to close a deal on a few medals with a dealer who was admittedly new to collecting/buying/looking at these medals, but he sure seemed to know how to price them!!!! perhaps he's a quick study or perhaps he's a "coin whore" looking to make a quick buck, take your pick. in the end i made a fair offer that was rejected. the sad truth of how the story will end is that he'll almost surely get his price from an impatient buyer with a shovel in his hand, ready to be buried for the next 20 years. taht just isn't my style and doesn't conform to what i see as a sound way to "build" a collection, although it may be a quick way to deplete a bank account.

SilverEagle, if your Uncle really wants one he can buy one for an inflated price in a couple weeks if he looks around. he should have no problem spending from $500-$800 for an HK-222 slabbed by NGC as PF65UCAM, but he'd be a freakin' idiot to do so. he could probably find a raw HK-222 in the pill-box and spend about $350, but he'd be a freakin' idiot to do so. he could also buy the book for about $40, read the damn thing and learn something, search online and at shows while taking his time and maybe even beat my $200 price. it's clearly his choice, but i know what mine would be.

there, Marty, is that enough wisdom for you today??? remember, a fool and his money are soon parted. which one are you..........................
    Listen Keets, us" Know Nothings"

have feelings you know.image
    Camelotimage
    hey Marty, $190 at MSNS in the pill-box!!image

this is the one i'd match against your PF68UC.

• adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    Deleted
    Its the chicken that has the money.
    Marty is just the front man.image
    Camelotimage
    You still didn't beat Tom, picking one off at FUN for $40!!

• tmot99tmot99 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭

<< <i>You still didn't beat Tom, picking one off at FUN for $40!! >>

Yep. Graded 67UCAM that I had pegged for a 68. It's much nicer than the previous 67 that I had.
    Tom has an advantage over me, no doubt about that. my point, though, shouldn't be missed. there are just too, too many of these in pristine condition to be paying the high price.
  • tmot99tmot99 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Tom has an advantage over me, no doubt about that. my point, though, shouldn't be missed. there are just too, too many of these in pristine condition to be paying the high price. >>

I agree completely. The OP had sent me a PM about this medal. My response to him was almost word for word what you had said and I hadn't even opened the thread at that point. It's a common medal and if you take the time to find one, you'll get it for less than $200.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file