Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

an uncommon common coin *SCORE! grade in! 5/22*

By "uncommon" I mean to say that these Double Florins are usually seen pretty bagmarked, nicked up and/or hairlined; say nothing of all of the cleaned, polished and damaged ones out there. I found this example from a UK collector, and it arrived today. His description was brief, but it summed it up nicely enough for me to take the chance.

" THESE DOUBLE FLORIN PIECES WERE ONLY MINTED WITH 4 DATES. THIS PARTICULAR DATE WAS THE FIRST. THE CONDITION IS PROOF-LIKE WITH SUPERB FIELDS. ALSO TONED WITH AN UNDERLYING BRILLIANCE."

.....with these pictures, apparantly using a flatbed scanner......

My pictures below make the toning and luster appear muted, but that is simply my lackluster photography. Under the light toning, the fields are PL and the luster is VERY strong with a nice cartwheel effect; I should send this particular coin off to Mark Goodman, so he can do it proper justice. There are no luster breaks in hand, and aside from two little nicks under her crown in the vail, I don't see anything with a 7x loupe that would affect the grade. Overall, this is as nice (probably better) than my MS65 that was my star Double Florin until this one arrived.
Notes: the devices on the reverse appear to have some nicks, but in actuality, they are simply toning variances with the light reflecting off in a weird way.

For $40, i'm thrilled!

thanks for reading,

Doug

Comments

• Options
    Great pick up for that price Doug. imageimage
    The meaning of life ? I don't know but I am sure that coins have something to do with it.

Zar's Ebay
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    Very nice coin!

Double florins are indeed cool. I've had quite a few over the years... the '87s do tend to show up PL quite frequently.
  • Options
    zeebobzeebob Posts: 2,825
    Great toning. Nice price. Way to go! image

image woot-woot image
  • Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    Lovely coin and a great buy Doog! image
  • Options
    DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508
    thanks guys!

This coin and the deal I got on it certainly isn't any kind of huge financial windfall, or something that rivals the 'Millennia' collection pieces, but it is the small victories that keep us going in collecting. There is still a lot of fun stuff to be had out there, sometimes for reasonable prices. We just have to remind ourselves to be patient, which is something i'm working on daily.

have a great weekend!

Doug
  • Options
    percybpercyb Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭
    Common or not, "A thing of beauty," Keats reminded us, "is a joy forever"!!

"Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    $40 is a big steal. Nice going!
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options

Well, I had thought that it was nicer than either of my PCGS MS65 or NGC MS65 examples, and NGC agreed!

I now have the 'top pop' MS66, population 1 with 0 higher.

pretty cool score, especially for $40

• Options
    WWWWWW Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭
    Very nice. Congratulations on the outstanding results of your submission to NGC. image
  • Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    congrats... terrific coin and I just don't understand the price paid on this... unattractive Uncs usually fetch 70-85 and nice ones are over 100 easily

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

<< <i>congrats... terrific coin and I just don't understand the price paid on this... unattractive Uncs usually fetch 70-85 and nice ones are over 100 easily >>

thanks guys! I agree, I paid WAY below market value for this one, and i'm happy about it! image However, i'm more pleased with finally finding an example at this lofty grade, as it feels like a small victory.

thanks again!

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool score, Doogy! Way to go image
  • Options

<< <i>Very cool score, Doogy! Way to go image >>

thanks Roman! .......and i forgot to mention it took only 8 business days to get them back for world economy, not too shabby!

• Options
    newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations -- you've got a good eye. image
  • Options
    Please enter me in your most generous giveawayimage

Congratulations!!!imageimage

~
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, enjoy such coins as this. We do not have to have Milennia caliber coins to have enjoyable and meaningful collections. I was just looking at some recent copper Vicky farthing purchases and know them to be scarce as well as beautiful and of high quality such as this coin.

I think even seeing other peoples' lovely coins is inspiration in itself to keep up with this wonderful pursuit.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    JoesMaNameJoesMaName Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Common or not, "A thing of beauty," Keats reminded us, "is a joy forever"!! >>

Or until some joker comes along and hammers a whole through it - so it can be worn as a pendant image

(No offence Lord M! image)
    Paul - saved by
    The Fireman...