Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Another Call me crazy but I'm sending this TTM thread (this time Koufax) RETURN TO SENDER

As you know from my TTM thread on George Bush, I'm a gambler. Since Koufax recently went way up on his signing fees ($800), this rookie I have of his doesn't do me a heck of a lot of good since I collect signed ones, not unsigned. And I'm not going to pay $800 for him to sign it. Thus, I sent it to him with a witty letter this past Sunday. Wish me luck!! From Sportscollectors.net he does occasionally sign one here or there so we'll see. Hopefully it won't be a lost cause. Worst case scenario would be to lose it completely, but hopefully he'll return it if he won't sign it and then I'll just sell it on ebay and be done with it.

Mike

Buying US Presidential autographs

Comments

• tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    Good Luck Mike, At lest he is good at sending the cards back if he doesnt sign.

• WOW, that takes a lot of courage. Good luck with that, hope he signs it.

How does he charge that $800 fee? When is signs in person, or also by mail?

Why in the world he charges so much? I have never heard of that kind of price for a signing. Is this a normal thing? Do other players charge this much or just him?

Good Luck!!!!

Giovanni
  • yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    I would throw him 50 bucks and say here's 50 bucks for your favorite charity. Maybe you would have better luck?
  • Mike, you gotta alot of courage, or ice water in the veins. Not sure which one..imageimageimage
  • thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Mike, you gotta alot of courage, or ice water in the veins. Not sure which one..imageimageimage >>

Or a lack of sense between the ears!! image

Mike
  • I know you didn't just send him the card and say sign this . . .

I would love to see the letter that goes with the card .

That is a pretty ballzy move , but one I am sure he will definitely thinkabout, I am sure he knows how popular his card is and for someone to risk losing it in any condtion , would have to be crazy or just plain ol' have a great story .

No doubt I wish you great luck.
  • goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    Good luck!
  • Never say never but I would say you have a 1% chance of getting that signed. Now with that said a few people have had recent success with him which is unheard of but most stuff sent to him is still coming back RTS.

Good Luck!
  • If memory serves me , I believe people send Sandy cards care of a Pennsylvania address but he live is Florida . I believe the stuff people send get sent to a family member . I believe some people get lucky when Sandy happens to be visiting when the mail shows up . I may be wrong.
    A collector of all things Braves
    Always looking for Chipper Jones cards.
    Im a very focused collector of cards from 1909 - 2012...LOL

<< <i>If memory serves me , I believe people send Sandy cards care of a Pennsylvania address but he live is Florida . I believe the stuff people send get sent to a family member . I believe some people get lucky when Sandy happens to be visiting when the mail shows up . I may be wrong. >>

Uh oh, I sent mine to Florida and from the addresses people were having success with over on sportscollectors.net , they were using Florida. Seems a lot get RTS, so I don't know what criteria he uses to determine which ones to open and which ones to just scribble RTS on. I tried to make mine look as "non autograph request" on the outside as possible, by using an official envelope from my work. It should get his attention and I would think at least get it opened. Who knows but at least it will be fun waiting on the mail for a while.

Mike
  • Mike you are a brave man, hopefully the work envelope at least gets him to open it.
  • larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭
    I met Sandy Koufax in LA in the late 90's at a Pediatric Aids function. I got my picture taken with him and his auto. I have it up on my office wall. If I had known he charged 8 hun I would have gotten a few more autographs!
  • GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm impressed. Shoot highimage
  • SheamasterSheamaster Posts: 542 ✭✭✭
    Wow, $800. I got his auto at a show in the '80s for at most $8...my how times have changed.

Anyway, good luck with the card...it's worth a shot!
  • Hey Guys..I really enjoyed reading your posts, so I thought I would join..I was wondering if someone could post Sandy's address or email it to me trane40@aol.com I live in NYC and know that he has an apt somewhere downtown. His is the one autograph I wouldn't mine paying good money to get but wouldn't shell out 800 bones...that's just crazy..anyway thanks a bunch
    -Alex
  • You sir have a set of cast-iron balls image

bravo!

$800? for a signature though? get real...it's not like he's JESUS or something image (who by the way probably wouldnt charge a fee lol)
  • baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭
    good luck!!!
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• "$800? for a signature though? get real...it's not like he's JESUS or something "
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You know something , I was wondering the other day if there is a such thing as a Jesus Christ signature anywhere ?

I'm sure he must have signed his name somewhere , on some kinda scroll or something ?

Now that would be an amazing autograph and something There would be no price I could be offered to sell it .

I think if you did have it and you did sell it, it would be like betraying Jesus . . . a Judas of sorts .

That would be one heck of a conversation piece !

• fandangofandango Posts: 2,622

<< <i>"$800? for a signature though? get real...it's not like he's JESUS or something " >>

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

true, but a dradle on the front of the envelope my get his attention enough to open it....

<< <i>Hey Guys..I really enjoyed reading your posts, so I thought I would join..I was wondering if someone could post Sandy's address or email it to me trane40@aol.com I live in NYC and know that he has an apt somewhere downtown. His is the one autograph I wouldn't mine paying good money to get but wouldn't shell out 800 bones...that's just crazy..anyway thanks a bunch
    -Alex >>

Alex,

The mailing address I have for Koufax is:

Sandy Koufax
    P.O. Box 8306
    Vero Beach, Fla. 32963

Take care,

Mike
  • gumbyfangumbyfan Posts: 5,159

<< <i>it's not like he's JESUS or something image (who by the way probably wouldnt charge a fee lol) >>

Are you sure about that? He has a history...

• bluemarlinbluemarlin Posts: 627 ✭✭✭
    By the looks of your Koufax card it would probably cost $150 to replace so
    I think it was worth the risk.

<< <i>By the looks of your Koufax card it would probably cost $150 to replace so
    I think it was worth the risk. >>

Your pretty good with that guess. That's exactly to the penny what I paid for that Koufax.

Mike
    Picked up a nice one tonight at Mastro's auction. I took the bird in the hand instead of waiting on the potential bird in the bush. Hopefully he'll sign the one I sent him and then I'll have a nice one available for trade bait.

Mike

Got the Koufax back today RETURN TO SENDER, never even opened. Oh well, no harm no foul. At least I got it back and have the card back.

Mike
  • AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭
    Mike, on startiger there are about 10 addresses that no longer work for him, the one you had included. He has no current address on there. I doubt he signs through the mail.
    John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • fur72fur72 Posts: 2,348 ✭✭
    good try bro. I have at least a dozen out to different people.

One question to the TTM experts. Is it return to sender most of the time or is it like never see it again? Just wondering.
  • RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    Here is mine I paid a hint over 800 a year or so back

down to J. Robinson and Hodges for the complete signed 55 topps team set
  • leathtechleathtech Posts: 3,191
    Normally I only get RTS if the address is bad... I have several cards that are out a year + that I never expect to see again.
  • brianwintersfanbrianwintersfan Posts: 3,626 ✭✭

<< <i>good try bro. I have at least a dozen out to different people.

One question to the TTM experts. Is it return to sender most of the time or is it like never see it again? Just wondering. >>

Never send what you can't afford to lose. More times than not you won't see it again so send wisely.
  • RocuanRocuan Posts: 403 ✭✭✭
    I sent a letter to Koufax in 1982 to a Templeton, CA address, asking him if he would sign a ball for me and to return the letter if he would sign. He did, I sent the ball and he signed it personalized to me with " Best Wishes". The signature is beautiful, and the ball and sig. are mint cond. I still have the ball and letter.
    Time to get rid of all this stuff I have. Would include a scan but don't know how to do it on here.
    If interested in buying, let me know and I will send scan to your email address.
    Roland rocuan@aol.com
    Ro
    Just a plug for Roland (Rocuan) He's a great guy to buy from. I've bought several things from him in the past and his items are accurately graded and he ships quick and prices fairly.

Mike