Home Sports Talk
Options

NFL draft busts of the past - when a team could have had.....

Something I saw in USA Today, I think the names all speak for themselves.

Ryan Leaf, 1998: Taken no. 2 by Chargers, ahead of Charles Woodson.

Akili Smith, 1999: Taken no. 3 by Bengals, ahead of Edgerrin James.

Tony Mandarich, 1989: Taken #2 by Packers, ahead of Barry Sanders.

Lawrence Phillips, 1996: Taken no. 6 by Rams, ahead of Terry Glenn.

Comments

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's interesting but this could be said for almost every draft. Also I think the "comparisons" are more relevant when discussing the same positions.
  • Options
    2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As an old time Giants fan, I'll give you a comparison: In 1977, the Giants were looking to pick a wide receiver in the second round and there were three prospects on the board - Wesley Walker, Tony Hill and Johnny Perkins. You guessed it - they picked Johnny Perkins.

Of course, you can also add that in 1990, the Jets picked running back Blair Thomas way ahead of some guy named Emmitt Smith. image

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• Options
    ymareaymarea Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭
    In 1983 Kansas City drafted QB Todd Blackledge with the 7th overall pick when they could have picked Dan Marino. Marino fell all the way to #27, after THREE other QB's were taken following Blackledge. (Elway went #1 overall, by the way.)
    Brett
  • Options
    MichiganMichigan Posts: 4,942
    The Lions also could have had Dan Marino but picked someone else (don't remember who). Oh well......

Barry Sanders not going to Green Bay was a tragedy (for him at least) , I'm sure he would have gotten that Super Bowl ring in
    the Favre era.
  • Options
    ymareaymarea Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The Lions also could have had Dan Marino but picked someone else (don't remember who). Oh well......

Barry Sanders not going to Green Bay was a tragedy (for him at least) , I'm sure he would have gotten that Super Bowl ring in
    the Favre era. >>

Detroit selected RB James Jones out of Florida. Oh well.

Edit: To add insult to injury, Detroit could have chosen RB Roger Craig of Nebraska. Gee Whiz!
    Brett
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe "they" were right about not drafting Marino earlier - After all he never won a Super Bowl. image
  • Options
    MichiganMichigan Posts: 4,942

<< <i>Maybe "they" were right about not drafting Marino earlier - After all he never won a Super Bowl. image >>

Yeah, there is that......image
  • Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭
    If Sanders would have been a Packers draft pick, there may never have been a Favre era. You never know how that kind of thing would shake out.
    John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
    Somewhat related, but I could see how it is not. But do you think it is mere coincidence that two of the greatest players in NFL history (heck, maybe the best two) came out Division I-AA, e.g. Jerry Rice (Mississippi Valley State) and Walter Payton (Jackson State). I can understand wanting to draft defensive players from Division I-A schools, but in terms of offense, I think you can find good if not great ones anywhere.

/s/ JackWESQ