Home Sports Talk
Options

Dolphins sign #1 draft pick Jake Long

Bill Parcells certainly does not like to waste time and did not want to deal with a protracted holdout with that #1 pick.

Jake Long, OT from Michigan has signed a $57.75 million contract with $30 million guaranteed.

There will be no drama in the draft over who that #1 pick is but the Dolphins could care less, they got what they wanted
and already signed for the upcoming season.

Congrats to Jake Long.

Comments

• Options
    Couldn't they have gotten a proven, but young, OL for less than $60 mill?
  • Options
    MichiganMichigan Posts: 4,942

<< <i>Couldn't they have gotten a proven, but young, OL for less than $60 mill? >>

Possibly, Parcells was apparently very impressed with Long so who knows? The draft is always a roll of the dice.
  • Options
    So much for my theory that the Dolphins would most likely trade the #1 for multiple picks later in the draft, it is possible Parcells tried
    but did not like the offers he received if any. Salary cap issues have hurt interest in the #1 pick for a number of teams.
  • Options
    ymareaymarea Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭
    I suspect that the Dolphins failure to trade the #1 pick was more a product of a lackluster draft class than a lack of acceptable offers. Parcells would have loved to deal the top pick, but there was probably little interest from other teams in acquiring it. There doesn't seem to be a clear-cut, must-have player in this draft. GM's don't want to get stuck with the high salary that accompanies #1 when they can surely get better value in lower spots.
    Brett
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    Parcells is very much overrated as a judge of talent and as a head coach. Just my opinion.
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options

<< <i>I suspect that the Dolphins failure to trade the #1 pick was more a product of a lackluster draft class than a lack of acceptable offers. Parcells would have loved to deal the top pick, but there was probably little interest from other teams in acquiring it. There doesn't seem to be a clear-cut, must-have player in this draft. GM's don't want to get stuck with the high salary that accompanies #1 when they can surely get better value in lower spots. >>

It does seem that way, the top 10 players rated by most experts could probably be a #1 or a #10 pick for that matter. I'm not sure
    it if is so much a lackluster draft or just a problem of nobody really standing heads and shoulders above anyone else.
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    You really think Long is that great?

Vernon Gholston whipped on him every year............at least on my TV.