Home Sports Talk
Options

Frank Thomas, is he done?

baseballjeffbaseballjeff Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
What do you all think? Is this it for the Big Hurt?

Comments

• Options
    kcballboykcballboy Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭
    He'll be playing within a couple weeks
    Travis
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I'm surprised that nobody has picked him up yet.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Giants or a crappy team (Royals, Rays, Pirates, etc.) will pick him up
  • Options
    No way the Pirates will take him.
  • Options
    I don't think there's any doubt he'll get picked back up, but what will his final line look like? My guess is .240 19 65, so as far as being capable of helping, no, he's done. And for all you fans of OBP, he's a detriment as soon as he's on base. Remember, 2 or 3 singles to score the guy, perhaps the only guy in baseball slower than Bengie Molina.
    Jay
  • Options
    See he just signed with Oakland. He had a great season there in '06 with 39 H.R.s, maybe a return to the A's will do him good.
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,922 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't understand why he left Oakland in the first place. I guess Frank had to learn the hard way that a bigger paycheck isn't worth a bad work enviroment. Then again, I don't understand either why Kenny Lofton didn't just stay with the Indians; he left and came back what, two or three times?
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    Thomas played with Toronto for two years. Where is he now?

If he got signed by Oakland in April of 2008, that means the 2008 season was with the A's. What about now?
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    bighurt2000bighurt2000 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭
    DeutscherGeist,
    Here is all the infomation that I could find about him lately. I personally think he can still drive in 25-30 HR and 80 RBI's
    but takes to long to heat up and he is a base to base runner now. Also with the economy the way it is teams are not
    looking for a 41 year old over weight injury prone base to base runner. They would rather get a cheap young no name
    guy who they can trade if there team sucks later on in the season.

Don't get me wrong I am one of Franks biggest fans and supporters but for the life of me can't understand why a player
    who wants to play so bad can't loss 30 to 50 pounds in the offseason he is 6' 5" and his weight is 275 if you don't care
    about getting into shape why should a team pick you up. Year after year wants to play but over weight. You have to
    help yourself before someone will help you. Oh well hear is the latest and greatest on Frank.

Frank Thomas Still Looking For Work
    By Tim Dierkes [February 18, 2009 at 8:49am CST]

Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports talked to free agent DH Frank Thomas, who is "a little shocked" at the lack of interest.
    Thomas says he's in excellent shape and doesn't intend to retire. He believes he can hit 35-40 home runs this year
    and doesn't want a part-time role. Two unknown teams have at least expressed interest.

Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports March 31, 2009.
    Free agent DH Frank Thomas is still waiting for an offer. He intends to delay a decision about retirement until at least the All-Star break.

One of those two team were probable the Mariners before they signed Griffey don't know who the other team could be.
    Good luck Frank hope you get picked up.

James
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you James for answering.

As much as I like Frank Thomas, I can understand why he would not be a good fit for a team even with a DH vacancy. He can't field, and his base running is a liability to put it mildly. If he got into great physical shape, perhaps his base running would have been adequate and likely also less injury prone. I still think his hitting is going to be above average overall.

Thomas does not have anything else to prove as he is a HOF right now. I would miss him not being in the game, but that's baseball life.

Right now, he has a .301 lifetime average. It looks better than a .299. He might risk that if he is not in proper shape.

Sheffield is a better choice for teams since he is more flexible. But not even he had an easy time finding a good fit. Even with the Mets, he may not get good playing time.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee