Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

1909 VDB MPL listed on Ebay

Just ran across this. Fostercoin has listed a 1909 VDB matte proof lincoln for open bid of $3000 and BIN for $3500. I just about hit the BIN button but decided not to at this time. Something looks wrong to me. If i thought for a minute is would slab at NGC/Anacs i would..... Anyone else already run across this auction?? Item number is 230245693357.
Mark
NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"

Comments

• Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is the link for you:

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    BWRCBWRC Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭

I saw that one, nicely toned MS coin.
    Brian Wagner Rare Coins, Specializing in PCGS graded, Shield, Liberty and Buffalo Nickels varieties.
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    Seller states it's a PR63 RD. imageimage
  • Options
    Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭
    I can't help but think it may have already made a trip to PCGS. I mean how many people would carry such a sought after coin arround with out protecting it, and increasing it's value with a PCGS slab?
    And to even think of selling it raw when graded it would most surely bring more money. JMO image
    Dan
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I cant see any of the VDB proof diagnostics. On the reverse, the crescent shaped die chip to the right of the M should be visible, since these photos are pretty decent, but I dont see it. what at first looks like this chip is too close to the M.

Dosent look like enough "Rim" or granularity either.

If I seen that little die chip on the back......I would have hit that BIN!

He does have a very reasonable return policy......but I think the pictures tell the story. image
  • Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭
    Not an MPL.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    As I've said many times before, a RAW coin described as a 1909VDB Matte proof Lincoln cent MUST be PROVEN to be the real thing. The benefit of doubt is on the SELLER to prove. NOT the buyer. Note that there are no bids, at least at this time. And believe me, there are a few Lincoln cent MPL collectors reading this who would GLADLY pay the BIN price if it was the real thing. I'm sure the seller KNOWS the facts about 1909VDB MPL's. He is just testing the market. To my eyes the picture just doesn't portray anything other than a business strike. Too bad.

Thank you Mark for posting this.
    Steveimage
  • Options

notice how weak the striking detail is on the obverse, note the "weak" VDB on the reverse of the MS coin. That in itself is a clincher to throw this imposter out!

1909VDB PCGS PR65RB
    Brian Wagner Rare Coins, Specializing in PCGS graded, Shield, Liberty and Buffalo Nickels varieties.
  • Options
    I find many things with this auction to be disturbing. First, the seller seems to have all the qualifications and a good reputation, plus excellent feedback. He never says "maybe" or "possible", just calls it a matte (period). But....the thing about "seeing what interest there is", almost smells of bad old fish in that if someone comes forth with hot money and a good feeling this is a MPL he might pull it. PCGS price guide for PR63RD is 9000$, and we can assume that the coin if genuine would bring 2X pcgs guide price. Why put a bin at 3500$ unless you are sucker fishing, and pretty sure its only a 250$ coin at best.

If I were that seller, the first thing I would do is pack it off to PCGS if I felt is was an MPL instead of listing on ebay at about 1/6 of what it would bring if it were in plastic.

I would not doubt that the seller has read every word of this thread.
  • Options
    MPLunaticMPLunatic Posts: 617 ✭✭
    not an mpl, he was about to send it to pcgs, yeah good one!
  • Options

<< <i>not an mpl, he was about to send it to pcgs, yeah good one! >>

like you say the coin has a "0" percent chance of grading as an MPL at PCGS. Book closed on this one.image
  • Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    I had a fleeting dream for 60 seconds last night that i added a 1909 VDB MPL to my collection for the low price of 3500 dollars. Then the devil poked me in the butt....

My heart raced as fast as Dougs was on his recent 100k plus bid. I may make a flying road trip......
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options
    Huh. That listing is totally *gone*

Not on the completed auctions.......I'll bet the seller was tuned to this board and saw the comments, especially Brians.

AND Mr. Seller, if you pulled the auction because you came to realize that the coin was not a MPL, you are an honorable person and done the right thing.
    BUT Mr. Seller, if you still think the coin is a MPL, and submit it to TPG, and it comes back as authentic and in a slab, feel free to put it back up on ebay....the wolves are waiting!!

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $15 business strike.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear