Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Jefferson Varieties Question...

Knowing nothing about Jefferson Nickles, esp/ the varieties.
This may seem a stupid question to Jeff guys, but when learning, sometimes you have to ask the stupid ones. image
I was looking through the nickles left over from years of ripping apart mint sets, in search Roosies at the time, but now hunting nickles for my 1969 mint set.
Question is... I came across a 69-S that has slight doubling, I believe this would be called Machine doubling.
Is this a common thing to find on the 69-S nickles? I know I pulled and saved a few from 69-S Lincoln rolls.
Second Question is... I didn't find a place in the Variety Registry sets for them, so does that mean they have no value as to make them worth grading? The question also pertains to the Lincolns if you have an answer for those. I would have guessed they had a FS number...
Dan

Comments

• Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    machine doubling is in the striking process

so each coin would be unique (although most obvious with lettering and dates)

varieties are in the dies so multiples of the same 'phenomenon' are found

sometimes cracks or multiple dates or mintmarks

• Options
    RBinTexRBinTex Posts: 4,328
    Machine doubling NEVER has an FS# and is NOT worth a premium (except for the 69-S Lincoln out of curiosity sake for those that know they will never afford the real thing).

I once sold one for about $265 in a no reserve eBay auction.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Machine doubling NEVER has an FS# an is NOT worth a premium (except for the 69-S Lincoln out of curiosity sake for those that know they will never afford the real thing).

I once sold one for about $265 in a no reserve eBay auction. >>

Really?

Maybe I should sell mine!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!