Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

New Eisenhower Variety Sets

19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭
I just got an email from BJ denoting what coins will be included in the new Eisenhower Variteis Sets:

1971-S SILVER Peg Leg FS-401 (Business Strike)
1971-S/S SILVER RPM FS-501 (Business Strike)
1971-S SILVER DDO FS-103 (Proof)
1971-S SILVER DDO FS-106 (Proof)
1972-S SILVER DDO FS-101 (Proof)
1973-S SILVER DDO FS-101 (Proof)

Please note that the RDV-006 has been excluded yet again.

I suppose this is a step in the right direction but not a realistic enough step IMHO.
I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!

Comments

• Options
    Welcome to the merry go round, Us Kennedy collectors have been riding it for quite some time. Enjoy the ride.

Dan
    U S Navy Retired 22 years - ENC(SW) Ret. - Travling Nuclear Maintanence Contractor - Working Indian Point Nuclear plant Buchanan New York

">Franklin Halves
    ">Kennedy Halves
  • Options
    Which Kennedy's are you waiting for specifically?

The RDV-006 is a completely different reverse variety.

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    pragmaticgoatpragmaticgoat Posts: 834 ✭✭✭
    Lee,

What's a 1971-S/S SILVER RPM FS-501 (Business Strike) look like?

Joe
    BST references:
    jdimmick;Gerard;wondercoin;claychaser;agentjim007;CCC2010;guitarwes;TAMU15;Zubie;mariner67;segoja;Smittys;kaz;CARDSANDCOINS;FadeToBlack;
    jrt103;tizofthe;bronze6827;mkman;Scootersdad;AllCoinsRule;coindeuce;dmarks;piecesofme; and many more
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1971-S/S SILVER RPM FS-501 (Business Strike)

This one sure came out of left field?

Grandam image
    GrandAm :)
  • Options
    RPM = Repunched Mint Mark.

Actually, this is kinda cool since there are less than a half dozen of these known! This means that only 6 folks can complete their registry sets!

Edited to correctly state that only about 6 RPMs are known in the Eisenhower Series and not just 6 1971-S/S known. image

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Wow, now that's not reasonable.
    The RDV-006 would have been a 1000% better choice than that.

Joe
    BST references:
    jdimmick;Gerard;wondercoin;claychaser;agentjim007;CCC2010;guitarwes;TAMU15;Zubie;mariner67;segoja;Smittys;kaz;CARDSANDCOINS;FadeToBlack;
    jrt103;tizofthe;bronze6827;mkman;Scootersdad;AllCoinsRule;coindeuce;dmarks;piecesofme; and many more
  • Options
    Come on IKE guys!

I'd be curious to know how many folks out there actually have a certified, PCGS or ANACS, RPM 1971-S Business Strike?

I'd also like a poll on how many collectors have Friendly Eagle Variety hoards or mini-hoards.

I currently have about 48 that are ungraded at MS63 or less.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>Come on IKE guys!

I'd be curious to know how many folks out there actually have a certified, PCGS or ANACS, RPM 1971-S Business Strike?

I'd also like a poll on how many collectors have Friendly Eagle Variety hoards or mini-hoards.

I currently have about 48 that are ungraded at MS63 or less. >>

I don't have nor have I ever seen an RPM 71s business strike, putting this in the variety set over the RDV-006 is rediculous.
    I have four 71s peg leg business strikes, and six Friendly Eagles.

Joe
    BST references:
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    More sets that nobody will have the coins for?
  • Options
    TACloughTAClough Posts: 1,598

<< <i>1971-S/S SILVER RPM FS-501 (Business Strike)

Grandam image >>

Well, at least the 1971-S/S RPM FS-501 is in a recognized reference book (Fourth Edition, Cherrypickers' Guide, Vol II). This is more then I can say about the 1964 SMS Kennedy that we have to put up with image
  • Options
    RBinTexRBinTex Posts: 4,328
    Sweet image

FS-015.8 for us oldtimers. FS-103 for the new guys image

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>1971-S/S SILVER RPM FS-501 (Business Strike)

Grandam image >>

Well, at least the 1971-S/S RPM FS-501 is in a recognized reference book (Fourth Edition, Cherrypickers' Guide, Vol II). This is more then I can say about the 1964 SMS Kennedy that we have to put up with image >>

I have absolutely no idea why PCGS felt it necessary to put that in the Registry! Friggin coins cost thousands and yet mention a 1964 SMS Set to most dealers and they'll scratch their heads thinking your an idiot! I mean, EVERYBODY knows SMS sets were onlyproduced in 1965, 1966 and 1967! DUH!

Why the heck did they add that one?

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    SilverstateSilverstate Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Sweet image

FS-015.8 for us oldtimers. FS-103 for the new guys image

image >>

You have to send this coin back to PCGS to be able to use it in your registry set.

That will be $ 20 plus shipping please!!
  • Options
    "You have to send this coin back to PCGS to be able to use it in your registry set.

That will be $ 20 plus shipping please!!"

Tell you a secret. You can ask them to adjust the cert number in their database so that the new set accepts it - IF YOU KNOW WHO TO ASK. imageimageimage
  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭
    Anyone know what the population is for the FS-103 and 106? Thanks.
  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭
    Nevermind my last question. I see they have been added to the regular pop reports now.
  • Options
    I gotta poll on the US forum.

If you'd like to see the RDV-006 Friendly Eagle Variety added, put your vote in!

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    You would think a "Registry Approved" variety would not cost an ADDED $ 20 when you submit them to PCGS.
  • Options

<< <i>You would think a "Registry Approved" variety would not cost an ADDED $ 20 when you submit them to PCGS. >>

Yer probably right since my 1974-D DDO Kennedy's didn;t cost an "extra" $20!

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sweet
    FS-015.8 for us oldtimers. FS-103 for the new guys

RBinTEX (or anyone else)- the PR65 example you posted looks to me like a partial peg leg example as well. Is that right? Are they all partial Peg Legs?

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    Obverse is ODV-006 (Peg Leg R)

Also, the reverse is listed as DDR-001: Light triple spread on RICA of AMERICA, stars under those letters, AR of DOLLAR, and double on remainder of stars and lettering around rim including E PLURIBUS UNUM
  • Options

<< <i>RBinTEX (or anyone else)- the PR65 example you posted looks to me like a partial peg leg example as well. Is that right? Are they all partial Peg Legs?

Wondercoin >>

Mitch, I think that since this is die specific, if one is a peg leg then they would all be a pegleg.
    The frost might appear different due to die state but then the frost is not what dictates whether a coin is a pegleg or not.

FWIW, the photo makes it look closer to ODV-005 than ODV-006 to me.

ODV-005

ODV-006

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    If anyone wants to navigate the unknown reserves and easily shilled auctions of Teletrade, check these out ending tonight:

FS-103 (PR67 $500)

FS-106 (1) (PR66CAM $400)

FS-106 (2) (PR66 Did Not Sell)
  • Options

<< <i>"You have to send this coin back to PCGS to be able to use it in your registry set.

That will be $ 20 plus shipping please!!"

Tell you a secret. You can ask them to adjust the cert number in their database so that the new set accepts it - IF YOU KNOW WHO TO ASK. imageimageimage >>

I would be curious about that. "E" Coins got dropped from all sets.
    I believe it needs to be reholdered.
  • Options

<< <i>If anyone wants to navigate the unknown reserves and easily shilled auctions of Teletrade, check these out ending tonight:

FS-103 (PR67 $500)

FS-106 (2) (PR66 Did Not Sell) >>

Man those are selling quite high!

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>If anyone wants to navigate the unknown reserves and easily shilled auctions of Teletrade, check these out ending tonight:

FS-103 (PR67 $500)

FS-106 (2) (PR66 Did Not Sell) >>

Man those are selling quite high! >>

They are low pops and the question is how many will now show up?
  • Options
    fyi: here's a LINK to all the PCGS No's. for the Ike varieties. image
  • Options

<< <i>RPM = Repunched Mint Mark.

Actually, this is kinda cool since there are less than a half dozen of these know! This means that only 6 folks can complete their registry sets! >>

Isn't this a 1/2 dozen RPM's in the sets.

So there are 6 or so RPM (varieties) in the series, not 6 coins only.

Let's find some varieties!!
  • Options
    Jim,

If a coin is listed with a URS-6, it means 17-32 known examples.

Tim
  • Options
    Tim,

I realize that but the comment that I quoted seems to allude to fact that on 6 example of that variety would be available for collectors.

More than half dozen RPM with lots of examples of each to find!

Some collectors get bummed out on the rare varieties since everyone cannot have one.
    Most seem to be out there to find.

Thanks.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>RPM = Repunched Mint Mark.

Actually, this is kinda cool since there are less than a half dozen of these know! This means that only 6 folks can complete their registry sets! >>

Isn't this a 1/2 dozen RPM's in the sets.

So there are 6 or so RPM (varieties) in the series, not 6 coins only.

Let's find some varieties!!
    image >>

Perhaps, perhaps not.

When the Authoritative Reference on Eisenhower Dollars was recently re-released, I found this page rather interesting:

Although my original softcopy book is packed away somethere, I distinctly remember that the 1971-S RPM was the only RPM mentioned in that version. CONECA lists only the 1971-S and Variety Vista is devoid of any RPM listings for "dollars"

I have no idea who the advisor for the Eisenhower Dollars was for the CPG.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>I gotta poll on the US forum.

If you'd like to see the RDV-006 Friendly Eagle Variety added, put your vote in! >>

Well, its official.

I received a note from BJ stating that the "Powers That Be" will not attribute the Friendly Eagle Variety (aka: RDV-006)

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>

If you'd like to see the RDV-006 Friendly Eagle Variety added, put your vote in! >>

Well, its official.

I received a note from BJ stating that the "Powers That Be" will not attribute the Friendly Eagle Variety (aka: RDV-006) >>

• Options

<< <i>

Well, its official.

I received a note from BJ stating that the "Powers That Be" will not attribute the Friendly Eagle Variety (aka: RDV-006) >>

Hello
    Best Regards,

Gabriel C. Murphy

#1 Set of Susan B. Anthony Circulation Dollars
    #1 Set of Susan B. Anthony Proof Dollars
    #1 Set of Eisenhower Mint (Basic & Major Variety) Dollars
    #1 Set of Eisenhower Proof Dollars
    #1 Set of Complete Variety Sacagawea Dollars
  • Options
    Hello 19Lyds:

Can you send me a PM with your email address or other contact info. I would like to discuss several Eisenhower dollars with you privately.

Thanks!
    Best Regards,

Gabriel C. Murphy

#1 Set of Susan B. Anthony Circulation Dollars
    #1 Set of Susan B. Anthony Proof Dollars
    #1 Set of Eisenhower Mint (Basic & Major Variety) Dollars
    #1 Set of Eisenhower Proof Dollars
    #1 Set of Complete Variety Sacagawea Dollars
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gabriel - Welcome to the forums.

You need to edit you profile to add all those #1 modern sets you forgot to mention image

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options

<< <i>Hello 19Lyds:

Can you send me a PM with your email address or other contact info. I would like to discuss several Eisenhower dollars with you privately.

Thanks! >>

PM Sent.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    So, it seems that PCGS is just going to add the "Cherry Pickers' Guide varieties" to the sets for now.

Lee,
    Is that what BJ indicated or was there just no explanation, just this is how it is?

I kind of liked the idea of the "Friendly Eagle" variety.

You can't always get what you want..(A Rolling stone Song, just popped into my head!)

• Options
    PCGS is not ready to get into the die varieties on their own so they are opting to just recognize published varieties (i.e. CPG) and nothing more. I believe that this is a direct result of the comment made by David Hall that PCGS would attribute any coin in the CPG.

I have been told that the IKE series has 100's of minor DDO and DDR coins of which I can fully understand PCGS not getting on board with those. But anybody with any kind of experience with IKEs can spot the FEV without a loupe so to not recognize this coin is an injustice.

To answer your question, yes, PCGS will only go with the CPG varieties. The only hope now is for an updated edition of which I know personally that some of the IKE group have talked with the publishers and hopefully convinced them to at least include the FEV in the next issue.

Remember, the latest CPG didn;t come out until August of 2006 which was 7 months before Coin World published info on it in the Collectors Clearing House.

Maybe next time.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>PCGS is not ready to get into the die varieties on their own so they are opting to just recognize published varieties (i.e. CPG) and nothing more. I believe that this is a direct result of the comment made by David Hall that PCGS would attribute any coin in the CPG.

I have been told that the IKE series has 100's of minor DDO and DDR coins of which I can fully understand PCGS not getting on board with those. But anybody with any kind of experience with IKEs can spot the FEV without a loupe so to not recognize this coin is an injustice.

To answer your question, yes, PCGS will only go with the CPG varieties. The only hope now is for an updated edition of which I know personally that some of the IKE group have talked with the publishers and hopefully convinced them to at least include the FEV in the next issue.

Remember, the latest CPG didn;t come out until August of 2006 which was 7 months before Coin World published info on it in the Collectors Clearing House.

Maybe next time. >>

I wish your statement was true, but unfortunately PCGS likes to classify coins as "varieties" that no one, and I mean no one, else considers as such. I guess sometimes the rules apply and somethimes they don't !image
  • Options