Home Metal Detecting
Options

ENTRY/NOMINATION THREAD: APRIL 2008 "QUALITY" AWARDS (Best US Coin/Non-US Coin/Jewelry/Rel

Please enter your finds (or nominate somebody else's finds) for the six Metal Detecting Forum "Quality" awards:

The six monthly "Quality" award categories are:

Best U.S. Coin/Token
Best Non-U.S. Coin/Token
Best Jewelry Item
Best Relic/Other
Best "Wild Card" Find
Best Expedition Photo

There is no limit on the number of entries per forum member (except in the Photo category). If your find seems humble in comparison to some of the others, don't sweat it- we like to see what everybody's found, be it humble or fantastic. Just post your item and a brief story of how you found it, or a link to your thread about the find, if there was one. If you can, post a picture of your item (small to medium-sized pictures of single items, please, rather than large groupings, since the pictures will be used in the poll threads at the end of the month). If you make a neat find and do not post it here, we might miss it later when we put the award polls up, so be sure and post your better finds here even if you already posted your own thread about them. Also, let us know what category you're entering for.

BEST U.S. COIN/TOKEN: this category is pretty self-explanatory. Note that it is for detector finds of coins minted in the U.S from 1776 to present - if a coin or token was found in circulation or by eyesight, it belongs in the "Wild Card" category. The award is for single coin finds, though if a cache is found all in the same hole and/or same container at the same time, it may be entered as a single item. Round medals without loops or mount attachments on them may be considered "tokens" and entered into this category. If they have loops for suspension, they should go into the Relic category (or Jewelry, if they are gold or silver).

BEST NON-US COIN/TOKEN: This includes all world coinage with the exception of US-minted coins, obviously.

BEST JEWELRY ITEM: also pretty straightforward, but if you find coin jewelry, you can choose to put it here or in the Coin category. Also, if you find lost jewelry and return it to its proper owner, you still get to enter it in the competition, even though it wasn't "finders keepers". (See if you can get a picture of it, though). Military decorations can count as jewelry if they are gold or silver.

BEST RELIC/OTHER: this category pretty much covers anything found with a detector that isn't a coin or jewelry.

BEST "WILD CARD" ITEM: this category is only for finds made without a detector. It may include coins or jewelry, but if you found those with your detector, they go in the categories above. This is for surface "eyeball" finds, circulation coin finds, and pretty much anything else, including nonmetallic finds like arrowheads, bottles, fossils, gemstones, gold nuggets, minerals, natural history specimens, pottery, prehistoric artifacts, and so on. Be sure and mention that the item you are entering is a "Wild Card" find, so we'll know which category to put it in when the polls go up at the end of the month.

BEST EXPEDITION PHOTO: this category is for the best photograph taken on an outing, be it of people, places, finds, wildlife, etc. Like the "Wild Card" category above, you don't even have to own a metal detector for this one- just a camera! Pictures should be vaguely related to treasure hunting or expeditions/outings of some kind, though. Limit three self nominations per member each month. (You may have more than three entries if somebody else nominates other pictures of yours, though.) Suggested photo size is somewhere around 640x480 if possible, though 800x600 is OK. Photos over 800 pixels wide or tall will be disqualified, at least until they've been suitably downsized (and that is the responsibility of the author, not the pollster). Photos should be given a short title. For example: "Turkeys In The Field, by ASUTodd". (Additional backstory about "who-what-where-why-when" is nice, too, but optional.)

G Man
imageimageimage

Comments

• Options

My best relic for the month-
    Dropped 3-ringer

My best wild-card for the month-
    Dealer/collector token (found on the ground in a parking lot)

• Options
    bigtime36bigtime36 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭
    O I have a lot for tis month that I got..... Ill post pics later I have anniversery dinner with the wife tonight.

Collect raw morgans, walkers, mercs, SLQ, barber q. Looking at getting into earlier date coins pre 1900s.

• Options
    ok, hard to compete with riccar(MR Lucky), but i'll try.
    my submission for wildcard: Dr Kilmer's swamp root cure
  • Options
    best relic: San Jose Santa Clara Railroad button ( dated to 1868).
  • Options
    jmj3esqjmj3esq Posts: 5,421
    Ladies 10K gold promise ring with small diamond found on my second hunt.

• Options
    I guess this will be my Non-US Coin entry:

A 1635 4 maravedis later stamped in 1659 to make a 6 maravedis

My US coin entry:

A 1964 Silver Washington Quarter

My Jewelry entry:

A cheap little ring:

• Options
    bigtime36bigtime36 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭
    Expedition Photos! Enjoy. I took them a week ago while in Arizona at my dad's.

Collect raw morgans, walkers, mercs, SLQ, barber q. Looking at getting into earlier date coins pre 1900s.

• Options
    expedition photo of the demodigger:
  • Options
    Get down Brian!!! Looks like you enjoy your digging ;-)

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    well, digging is my life. photo was taken by riccar, so i guess he should get credit for it.
  • Options
  • Options
    My entry for best jewelry item is this mans 10 K gold ring with black onyx stone in it.
  • Options
    DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭
    Not much but at least I'm in the game this month.

Wildcard

1952 Silver Rosey in the CoinStar return. I'll try to get a pic up before the month ends.
  • Options
    Best Expedition Photo

Went to the lake last weekend. Had to have a hot cup to get going
    5:30 AM-Had the fire going, had the pot on the stove. All detectors fully charged=Another good day
    Cell Cam

Best Jewelry
    Beach Find 925 Silver

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    TTT
    Last day of the Month ;-)

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    Here's my submission for best jewelry.

Silver Coin ring--Chinese coin 5 Yuan

Speer34

imageimageimage
  • Options
    davbecdavbec Posts: 321 ✭✭
    my entry for best coin.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For the Non-US category, I dug a 1947 Canadian cent.

The pix are on my flash drive, which is smoewhere else right now. Not that it matters.

Not that a 1947 Canadian cent has any chance next to Steve's Spanish piece, but oh well. image

Really, it's worth no more than the Wheaties I dug from the same yard (eight of those, dating 1914-55), but I was pleased nonetheless. Did not get silvered, but it was a good "wheat" harvest.

Steve- I see we have some catching up to do, and I have been away too long! W...O...W.

Davbec- we'll assume that's a quarter and not a half, judging from the scale comparison with your hand? Nice one.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    demodiggerdemodigger Posts: 1,012
    expedition photo:
  • Options
    That's one deep hole you have going on Demo.....Do you make most of your finds sifting?
  • Options
    laserartlaserart Posts: 2,255

<< <i>For the Non-US category, I dug a 1947 Canadian cent.

The pix are on my flash drive, which is smoewhere else right now. Not that it matters.

Not that a 1947 Canadian cent has any chance next to Steve's Spanish piece, but oh well. image

Really, it's worth no more than the Wheaties I dug from the same yard (eight of those, dating 1914-55), but I was pleased nonetheless. Did not get silvered, but it was a good "wheat" harvest.

Steve- I see we have some catching up to do, and I have been away too long! W...O...W.

Davbec- we'll assume that's a quarter and not a half, judging from the scale comparison with your hand? Nice one. >>

That and it says "Quarter Dollar" on the reverse. image
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • Options

<< <i>That and it says "Quarter Dollar" on the reverse >>

LOL...In LM's defense...(not that he needs it)...the reverse wasn't posted when LM made that remark...
  • Options
    laserartlaserart Posts: 2,255

<< <i>

<< <i>That and it says "Quarter Dollar" on the reverse >>

LOL...In LM's defense...(not that he needs it)...the reverse wasn't posted when LM made that remark... >>

Of course it wasn't image
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".