Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1972 Topps Pack Rip - GRADES ARE IN

I just won this on ebay over the weekend. I am going to open it and post the pics when I get it. It is only one pack but I have always wanted to open a 1972 Topps 6th series pack.

Comments

• Options
    Goodsport40Goodsport40 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭
    Awesome! A great year to open. Looking forward to it and good luck!

Robert
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Look forward to seeing the results, but it does look nice in the holder!!
  • Options
    Awesome. I have much respect for those of you who rip older packs...after all, that's what they were made for right? 6th series huh? I think the Carew is a big card from that series, hope you pull it!!
  • Options
    Nice! Can't wait to see the pics.
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    GOOD LUCK! I hope you pull something GREAT!
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭✭
    Don't eat the gum...image
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options

<< <i>Don't eat the gum...image >>

A few weeks ago I ate the gum from a '78 Topps baseball pack. YUCK!

To the OP, good luck - can't wait to see scans!

Jay
    3000 Hit CLub signed ball - 8/19 Living Members

Successful Deals: tennesseebanker, jvette,
  • Options
    mbothnermbothner Posts: 761 ✭✭✭
    I hope to put some of these cards in the $5 special before the end of the month.
  • Options
    mrpeanut39mrpeanut39 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭
    Would it be out of line to ask what you paid for it? I too would love to rip a 72 pack. Looking forward to this.
    "I think the guy must be practicing voodoo or something. Check out his eyes. Rico's crazier than a peach orchard sow." -- Whitey Herzog, Spring Training 1973
  • Options
    It was $133.50 plus $10 for first class shipping. Item number: 320238198614.
  • Options
    Good luck and cant wait to see them, great set!
  • Options
    elsnortoelsnorto Posts: 2,013
    That's hardcore.

I often toy with the idea of putting together an unopened pack run from Topps football, but some of those older issues are some serious coinage and my focus is elsewhere at this time. Maybe I will go with wrappers instead... I haven't looked into prices on these, but I am sure even some of these ain't cheap.

I look foward to the live rip and I hope the pack reveals some gems for you!

Snorto~
  • Options
    I want a bubble gum please?
  • Options
  • Options
    BuccaneerBuccaneer Posts: 1,794 ✭✭
    That brings up ripping one of these late last year in our 72 rip thread. Unfortunately, I got the one pack that all of the cards had dinged corners. image Good luck.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best of luck! Ripping those 72 packs is great fun and you have a great series there, too! If you can pull a low pop 9 common, that card will pay twice as much as what you paid for the pack. Mostly, I've opened 72 OPCs as they are more affordable, but I did open a high series pack from the group bust we had on here with packcollector some months back, and pulled two PSA 9s (though they weren't low pops).

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    I was 10 when the 1972 set came out and it was always my favorite. That is why I wanted to rip a pack again. My 72 set is number 76 on the registry because I only did the In Action cards. I also have the 72 Topps Pirates team set with a 9.048 average.
  • Options
    What happened here? Lets see some cards.
  • Options
    Still waiting on it to come in the mail.
  • Options
    I also just ordered a 1972 Topps PSA 8 Series 2 pack from baseball card exchange.
  • Options

<< <i>Still waiting on it to come in the mail >>

Sorry, I thought you already had the pack.
  • Options
    Here is what I got from the rip. Looks like the flip was wrong about the series. It looks like a 5th series and not a 6th series. One card was ruined by the gum. A few others are OC. It was fun.

• Options
    mcholkemcholke Posts: 1,000 ✭✭
    Thanks for sharing your rip. I was hoping to see more star power for your sake. Glad you enjoyed it.

Collecting Tony Perez PSA and Rookie Baseball PSA

• Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As for grading, Hargan looks really nice, and Cy Young Award looks nice too.
  • Options
    I will send those 2 and the George Stone in on the $5 Special along with other cards I was already sending in. Maybe the Ron Stone and the Melendez might not be OC as 8's but would they be worth the grading fee. I have a series 2 pack that should come before the end of the month so hopefully I can add a few more cards to the submission.
  • Options
    Cool. Thanks for sharing. I wish I could open some old packs.
  • Options
    jrinckjrinck Posts: 1,321 ✭✭
    The nice thing about a pack like this is that if it was opened in 1972, nobody would have cared about it. But today, it's pretty f'n cool.
  • Options
    Agree with Nick on the Hargan and Young cards. The Stone card is worth submitting, too, as PSA usually allows greater leeway on this set for cards centered higher than lower. The labeling error by GAI was actually in your favor and made this a more valuable pack, as Series 5 is the priciest series to purchase. Thanks for sharing!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    nightcrawlernightcrawler Posts: 5,110 ✭✭
    Very cool, thanks for sharing from me also.

• Options

<< <i>The labeling error by GAI was actually in your favor and made this a more valuable pack, as Series 5 is the priciest series to purchase. >>

Agreed because of the Ryan possibility, but i'd rather open a high series pack for grading purposes.
  • Options
    I just got my series 2 pack. I actually pulled 1 of the 2 cards (#224) I was looking for but it was off center. I got 2 of the same card in the pack.

• Options
    OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭
    I love that cubs team card...
  • Options
    I have always liked that Cubs card too. I can not believe I pulled 2 in one pack.
  • Options
    EAsportsEAsports Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭
    That Yankees TC will do well for you.

I love the Indians uni on Hargan in the first pack.
    My LSU Autographs

Only an idiot would have a message board signature.
  • Options
    The Yankees TC was on the side where the pack opened and had some wax residue on it. I tried a stocking on it like someone had previously mentioned and it cleaned up perfectly.
  • Options
    Yankees team card has a shot at a PSA 9,IMO. Burroughs card looks sharp, too. Those World Series cards are tough to find centered! I'be pulled two Game 7 cards in the last couple of months and both were OC. I did pull a Blue IA card from the last pack I opened, and I'm hoping to get a PSA 9 on that one, too.

• Options
    Thanks for sharing! I love these vintage pack busting threads! Better than TV! image

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey - thanx for sharing your rips with us!

The 72Ts are tough! I've never opened anything that old in recent times.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Gongrats for having the balls to rip these & thanks for sharing!
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    Is it common for a pack to yield a guy's regular card and his In Action one, too? Or was that just happenstance?

Love that Gary Neibauer card. I just picked up a PSA 8 example of it a few weeks ago.
  • Options
    Is it common for a pack to yield a guy's regular card and his In Action one, too?

Not in my experience, though since the 72 packs are limited to series, I suppose it's more likely than if all series were in one set, like Topps did starting in 73.

• Options
    The Timmerman, which has a very low PSA 9 pop, was the only card to have a dinged corner and that card was in the middle of the pack.
  • Options
    These are the grades from the 2 packs that I opened

1 1 15202098 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 OC 1972 TOPPS 149 GARY NEIBAUER Card US
    2 1 15202099 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1972 TOPPS 183 BILL MELTON Card US
    3 1 15202100 NEAR MINT 7 1972 TOPPS 184 BILL MELTON IN ACTION Card US
    4 1 15202101 MINT 9 1972 TOPPS 191 JEFF BURROUGHS Card US
    5 1 15202102 EXCELLENT 5 1972 TOPPS 192 CUBS TEAM Card US
    6 1 15202103 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1972 TOPPS 192 CUBS TEAM Card US
    7 1 15202104 NEAR MINT 7 1972 TOPPS 224 WORLD SERIES GAME 2 Card US
    8 1 15202105 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1972 TOPPS 237 YANKEES TEAM Card US
    9 1 15202106 NEAR MINT 7 1972 TOPPS 239 TOM TIMMERMANN Card US
    10 1 15202107 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1972 TOPPS 253 SANDY ALOMAR Card US
    11 1 15202108 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1972 TOPPS 528 RON STONE Card US
    12 1 15202109 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 ST 1972 TOPPS 601 GEORGE STONE Card US
    13 1 15202110 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1972 TOPPS 615 STEVE HARGAN Card US
    14 1 15202111 MINT 9 1972 TOPPS 623 CY YOUNG AWARD Card US
  • Options
    I knew that Cy Young card was a winner. Very nice.
  • Options
    Can someone tell me the last sales info for a MINT 9 1972 TOPPS 191 JEFF BURROUGHS? I think it is his RC and has a fairly low pop.
  • Options
    There are 4 recorded sales that average $75.94
  • Options
    Looks like a pop 12 w/ no 10s, very nice!
    #10 PSA Set for Topps Baseball currently on eBay under seller deeppurple1.
  • Options
    scooter729scooter729 Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭
    Another submission with no half grades. You would think half grades would be used, oh, 50% of the time now? I wonder what the use is of having them if they never actually utilize them in their grading process.

Congrats on the cards, BTW...