Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Thanks Legend Numismatics RE:1909VDB PF68RB*

Another great MPL event at the CSNS convention besides Doug taking home Stewart Blay's 1914 PCGS PR68RD was the 1909VDB MPL cent NGC PF68RB*. It is a customers coin that is "not for sale" but he was kind enough to let Legend have the coin on display at the CSNS show.

Let me tell you!! THIS 1909VDB NGC PF68RB* IS A JAW DROPPER with "out of this world toning". On first glance the coin reminded me of a glittering Christmas tree with bold emerald greens, reds and yellows dazzling about. I scanned the surfaces for a decent period of time under 7X magnification and the coin was found to be in a perfect state of preservation. No minor ticks or hairlines were noticed. The coin had all 3 VDB diagnostic features in bold detail that would lend me to believe this coin came off the dies early in the minting process.

For anyone who is a "toned" Matte Proof Lincoln cent fan this coin is the 800 lb GORILLA (KING KONG) image of the MATTE PROOF CENTS!

Brian Wagner Rare Coins, Specializing in PCGS graded, Shield, Liberty and Buffalo Nickels varieties.

Comments

• Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wasn't at the show, but I would love to see an image of it.
  • Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    BWRC- What is the histroy of this coin if you know it? Why did Legend bring it along? A auction later in the year maybe? Supposedly turned down 200k and a name a price offer?

I wish they would hurry up and get my gas well drilled!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not that i can buy coins in this range. image
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options
    BWRCBWRC Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭

<< <i>BWRC- What is the histroy of this coin if you know it? Where is it headed? Thanks. >>

George or Laura of Legend would most likely be the best source for any further information about this coin.

Brian Wagner Rare Coins, Specializing in PCGS graded, Shield, Liberty and Buffalo Nickels varieties.
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am confused, is the coin for sale or was it purchased.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I am confused, is the coin for sale or was it purchased.

WS >>

The only thing I know about the coin is that it's ex Jenks and is owned by a customer who loaned it for display.
  • Options
    RBinTexRBinTex Posts: 4,328
    Pics? image
  • Options
    BWRCBWRC Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Pics? image >>

George or Laura of Legend would most likely be the best source to check and see if any images of this coin are available.
  • Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭

John Storey Jenks -Stacks-Eric Streiner-Michael Rubin-an intermediary-Sperbers customer

It was originally graded Proof 67 R/B and was upgraded to 68 R/B

And its got a CAC sticker on it now

PCGS has never graded it

Stewart
  • Options
    DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508
    whoa! i'll bet that was one for the books. cool!

• Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mr. Blay, what in your opinion denotes a Lincoln's grade from 67 to 68 to 69? You're probably the only one qualified to answer this question.