Home Sports Talk
Options

Frank Thomas released

Per ESPN breaking news on the bottom line.

MLB.com link
My baseball and MMA articles-
http://sportsfansnews.com/author/andy-fischer/

imagey

Comments

• Options
    Just read that. Think he's done, or does someone else pick him up?
    Atlanta Braves, Charlotte Hornets, Shawn Kemp, Dale Murphy, and Bobby Engram.
  • Options
    I bet someone picks him up right away.
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    Can't see why an AL team won't pick him up via waivers. Toronto has to eat a chunk of the salary, too, if I recall the league rules correctly.

My guess would be Seattle or a return to Chicago assuming he doesn't choose to hang up the spikes. The teams I'm sure the Big Hurt would love to play for don't have a need for him. Too many bodies that don't play the field already in Boston (Ortiz), NY (Giambi, Matsui), Anaheim (Anderson, Guerrero), and Cleveland (Hafner).
  • Options
    JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
    Awesome career stats notwithstanding, I've never liked Frank Thomas. I hope no one picks him up.

/s/ JackWESQ
  • Options
    I think Frank will catch on with somebody. He's a traditionally slow starter. Both Blue Jays manager John Gibbons and GM J.P. Ricciardi are on the hot seat in Toronto. If the Jays don't win this year, they'll likely both be fired. So they don't have time to wait for Thomas to come around.

As a Blue Jays fan, let me say this about Frank. He is great with the fans. I've never seen a superstar spend so much time signing autographs. He came to Toronto with a bad reputation, but he was pure class until yesterday -- and who can blame him for being upset?

Let me also say that Frank's bat speed has slowed down, but I see him as a symbol of the ultimate non-steroid guy. Your bat speed should be deserting you when you're 39 or 40.

I wish Thomas nothing but the best. Not only a Hall of Fame hitter in my experience, but a Hall of Fame guy.
  • Options
    bxbbxb Posts: 805 ✭✭
    He killed the Red Sox earlier this year.

I'm surprised Toronto didn't keep him to DH the remaining Red Sox games!

Capecards
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    Theres is no way he is returning to the Chisox as he was a cancer in their clubhouse and Ozzie can't stand the guy and neither could the veterans. Frank was an extremely talented ballplayer and having watched his entire career as a Sox fan I feel comfortable in saying he is also as bad a human being as he was a good ballplayer.
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When you refuse to shake your team mates hands after a game, you are TOAST in my book. Frank Thomas has a massive ego problem, he isn't hitting the ball and deserved to be sat down. He's old news and the curtain is closing.

I hope nobody picks him up, he should retire and move on.