Home Sports Talk
Options

Lincecum

Forgive me for never seeing this guy pitch before, but I just for the first time saw highlights of him on Sportscenter today.
For those of you that have seen him pitch, is he really that good ? I thought Josh Beckett was the only "shut down" pitcher in
the big leagues (playoffs only), or possibly Santana (was), maybe not now. Is Lincecum a shutdown pitcher when he's on.
It looked like batters didn't have a chance against him. TIA.

Comments

• Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, he is a shut down pitcher. That is twice he has beaten the Cardinals this year. The scary thing is that he is just 23 years old. He is just a little guy, but he can run it up into the high 90's. He can also make you look silly with his changeup. What makes his fastball so good is that he mixes it up. He doesn't throw it into the high 90's all the time. His usual fastball is in the 93 to 95 range. Then, at will, he can rare back and blaze one past a batter at 97 to 98. He is some pitcher already.

Shane

• Options
    Dont let ESPN fool you, there are many great pitchers in this league, they just dont all play on the east coast so they dont get the pub as those two.
    My baseball and MMA articles-
    http://sportsfansnews.com/author/andy-fischer/

imagey
  • Options

<< <i>Dont let ESPN fool you, there are many great pitchers in this league, they just dont all play on the east coast so they dont get the pub as those two. >>

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Dont let ESPN fool you, there are many great pitchers in this league, they just dont all play on the east coast so they dont get the pub as those two. >>

image >>

If somebody truely believes what the OP wrote, the east coast bias if alive and kickin.

imagey
  • Options

<< <i>

If somebody truely believes what the OP wrote, the east coast bias if alive and kickin. >>

I believe the world series and All-Star games over the past decade has shown where the power is in MLB.
    There is no doubt it's in the american league. ESPN can only report the truth, and the truth is that the AL
    has dominated the past 10-20 years.
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    Lincecum has quite a future, but he also has a delivery that begs of arm problems. He is one DL trip from being another Rich Harden. For my money, you can have your Brandon Webb, Johan Santana, Josh Beckett, C.C. Sabathia or any of the other "studs." I'll take Jake Peavy and take my chances...

This coming from a guy on the East Coast.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

If somebody truely believes what the OP wrote, the east coast bias if alive and kickin. >>

I believe the world series and All-Star games over the past decade has shown where the power is in MLB.
    There is no doubt it's in the american league. ESPN can only report the truth, and the truth is that the AL
    has dominated the past 10-20 years. >>

I said nothing about AL/NL.

imagey
  • Options

<< <i>Lincecum has quite a future, but he also has a delivery that begs of arm problems. He is one DL trip from being another Rich Harden. For my money, you can have your Brandon Webb, Johan Santana, Josh Beckett, C.C. Sabathia or any of the other "studs." I'll take Jake Peavy and take my chances... . >>

ditto

imagey
  • Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Didn't catch his performance yesterday, but saw him a couple times last year. He can be very dominating. Should be interesting to watch as San Fran has nothing else going for them this year.
    Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    Lincecum is now 9-0 when he receives 3 runs or more in support. Too bad he plays for the Giants because 3 runs is about all he can hope for so he has to be a shut down pitcher if he even wants to sniff a win.
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    I'm glad this kid is on the Giants. He gives us fans a reason to cheer!
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    No kidding. He's been lights out and is pretty much the only thing keeping the Giants from being a complete waste this year.
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    It's still waaayy to early to tell if Lincecum is the real deal. He has a WHIP of 1.40 this year, and 1.28 last year, which is pretty average. The ERA for this year has been a product of luck more than anything else.
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    Sanchez is dealing this year too. We've been waiting for this kid to find his groove.

Yeah, still too early to tell if he's gonna win the Cy Young Award this year, but I'm planning my AT&T Park trip this year around his projected pitching schedule.

Though the Giants struggle to score runs, it's fun to see Lincecum make it hard for the other team to score runs too.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25