Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How many forum members live with a parent(s) due to financial difficulties? And how has this affecte

At thirty-four years of age. I've been out of work for nearly six months since relocating back to my native region to live with my parents in the house which I was raised. My first three months back 'home' were spent dealing with medical problems, but the last three I have been actively seeking employment without finding anything but unskilled jobs and temping work. As is often the case, living with my folks helps out with the expenses, but it entails more interpersonal aggravation (especially having to interact with my mother). And without a cashflow, it also means only getting to look at the coins that I want. I get the sense from reading threads that most of the posters on this forum are more stable financially, having steady, productive (if not necessarily 'lucrative') careers which have enabled them to advance professionally, developing new skills and reaping financial benefits. I've tried several different professions without much success. I would like to know if there are other collectors here who have had 'checkered careers' (and personal lives)? Did hardships/low points such as being out of work, suffering major medical illness, and other personal problems force anyone else to defer their collecting endeavors (perhaps even for years)? Did anyone find that even though they no longer had discretionary income with which to acquire new coins, they still found ways to enjoy coin collecting (browsing through and cataloging your collection, culling/trading for coins with better conditions, etc.)? Thanks for sharing your perspectivesimage

Comments

• Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear about your troubles. image I have never had to move back with my parents. They are nice people, but I just could not live with them. I think if you just keep plugging along, things will turn around for you and it will get better. image
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is good to hear you are still finding ways of enjoying the hobby
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    I will echo the private thoughts of many.

Sorry for your family, employment, and medical troubles.

If you are asking for sympathy as to your numismatic endeavors, you're not going to get any from me. Coins, like fine wine, are a luxury and a necessity. Enjoy what coins that you do have right now. When times get better, reward yourself with something nice.

Hate to be honest, but ...

Edit: Also, not all of us are sound financially, but we do try to spend within our means.
  • Options
    droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭
    I had hard times about 13 years ago now. Had to sell a lot of my collection to make ends meet, and was not active in the hobby for a few years after that, but it forced me to make some serious decisions about what it was I wanted from collecting.

Ultimately, what I sold for the most part were really merely "acquisitions" that didn't fit in with a long-term collecting strategy, and with a few exceptions I don't regret having had to divest myself of these items.

You might spend this time really going over your holdings, selling off those items you can live without, and developing a long-term collecting strategy. Then when things improve for you, you'll be ready to re-enter the hobby with renewed purpose.

With small bits of discretionary income, you can at least buy a few books that cover your fields of interest to tide you over until you can make more substantial coin purchases again.
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    1. No need to buy coins to enjoy the hobby. I only bought a couple last year and none so far this year. I like looking at other people's stuff.
    2. No need to spend a lot on a coin. Some of my favorite coins were cheap.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    One great way to deal with the frustration of not having enough disposable income to enjoy collecting as much as you would like is to "collect from circulation". In other words, don't collect for the pursuit of buying oodles of expensive coins; instead, collect for the challenge of it. Try putting together sets from circulation. Lincoln Cents and Jefferson Nickels are two great sets to work at. You can go to the bank with a minimal amount of cash and come home with rolls upon rolls of coins that you can search at your leisure and then return to the bank after you've culled the dates you need. Other than a few key dates, if you have lots of patience you can get pretty far with both sets (you might actually be able to complete the Jefferson series). And think of it this way... sure, any collector of decent financial means can outright PURCHASE either of those two sets. But how many of those collectors would have the patience and perseverance to assemble either of those sets from circulation? I have much more respect for a collector who has taken up a challenge, pursued it painstakingly, and seen it through to its most realistically attainable end. Yeah, it's nice to ogle over a full MS65RD set of Lincoln Cents, but how frickin cool is it to see a set of them that's 99% completed OUT OF CIRCULATION!!!! I'm A LOT more impressed by the second set. After all, the first one is simply a function of working capital; the second is a function of patience and dedication.

The key thing to remember is that this hobby has many different pursuits that can appeal to the insanely wealthy, the dirt poor, and everyone in between. No matter what portion of that spectrum you currently reside on, you should collect for the love of collecting and not for bragging rights among your coin collector buddies or PCGS board members.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My thirty year old son moved back in with us. Do i get half credit for that? image

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    During college I was with a temp agency and worked different jobs until I found something I liked. After college I got a job as an engineer but I've considered more than once going back to the job I had at college. Just my two cents.
  • Options
    I think Cratylus had a great post there. It is my understanding that originally the popularity of "coin boards" peaked during the Great Depression as an inexpensive means of enjoyment for Americans (along with board games and other inexpensive forms of entertainment).

I do not collect them, but I very frequently get older Jeffersons, including war nickels, in change at various stores. I think it would be possible to assemble most of a set from circulation. I also had fun with my daughter assembling a set of Memorial Lincolns going through rolls a couple of years back. It is interesting and surprising to see what people bring into the bank in rolls.

I also had some difficult financial times a couple of years ago, and gave up working on my type set because of the expense. In that time, however, I switched to the Walking Liberty halves and assembled a complete set in G-XF for next to nothing, relatively speaking. The semi-keys were very affordable in low grades, and I bought the 21 and 21-D when things got a little better financially. Though it wouldn't turn any heads on these boards, I take a great amount of pride in this set because I know the hours I put in assembling it.

The suggestion to go through and consolidate the coins you already have is also a good one. I was a one of those people who WOULD NOT sell a coin for many years, and in the process I had accumulated a lot of stuff that was just random and uninspiring. I have recently sold off a great deal of this "stuff"- some at a loss, to finance the set I'm currently working on and have no regrets about it whatsoever.

These are just random thoughts, I hope they are of some use. Things will turn around financially for you- keep plugging away.
    "College men from LSU- went in dumb, come out dumb too..."
    -Randy Newmanimage
  • Options
    VeepVeep Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭
    While just starting out with a young family, there was zero money for coins. I devoured the weekly Coin World and bought an occasional book or borrowed from the ANA library. Several years of this type of study paid big dividends when I was finally in a financial position to buy.
    "Let me tell ya Bud, you can buy junk anytime!"
  • Options
    Many thanks to all who shared their observations, experiences and ideas. One salient point that I have taken away from this discussion is that limited cash flow need not end (or even curtail) my numismatic endeavors, but rather I should embrace 'lean times' as an opportunity to change the way that I collect (culling/selling off unneeded coins, just enjoying viewing coins, etc.). Perhaps 'collecting smarter' should become my credoimage I like Cratylus' idea of collecting from circulation. I do this with pennies. Yesterday, I went to a local coin show and gave myself a budget of $5.00 (and I brought my own bottled waterimage I still had a great time looking at gem coins, looking through some raw, AU Morgans searching for VAM's (I didn't find any, but this was my first time seriously looking), and digging through one dealer's bucket of common-date, circulated Indian Head nickels. I bought two nicer looking ones for a whopping $3.00. Having recently bought a Whitman Tribute Buffalo Nickel Coinboard, I still find it a lot of fun plugging in holesimage It was nice to hear that some others have struggled financially at times, but were able to redirect their collecting energies.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keep the chin up! Broke my back many years ago and spent ten years recovering. Had to sell my entire collection
    to my Mother (she was a collector, too). Never gave it another thought as the years rolled on. Just started all
    over as finances improved.
    Mom died in '97. She left me all her collection, which I never saw due to a family theif. However, low and behold
    my collection came back home, intact and 30 years older! Never knew what happened to my stuff. Turns out absolutely
    nothing happened and it was just as I sold it to her!
    It will get better.
    bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you do have an existing collection, you might want to remember that it is the Buy, Sell and TRADE forum. Just a hint image
  • Options
    Late last summer I found myself directionless and spending on widgets and ebay 'Wow that looks like a deal' auctions. Having money wasn't the problem, spending it on ___ was! I asked a question similar to yours on here and took the advice to not buy to buy, but rather go learn. I immediatley placed $35 on an annual sub to Numismatic News (you may find another periodical you prefer, but I NEED it weekly). My buying/spending/investing has slowed down a lot since then. It may provide you with the fix you need until better days roll around.
  • Options

<< <i>but the last three I have been actively seeking employment without finding anything but unskilled jobs and temping work. >>

I might have misunderstood this statement but it seems like you're saying you're unwilling to take certain jobs.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,912 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>1. No need to buy coins to enjoy the hobby. I only bought a couple last year and none so far this year. I like looking at other people's stuff.
    2. No need to spend a lot on a coin. Some of my favorite coins were cheap. >>

• Options
    SOmetimes I have money to buy coins, sometimes I don't. Last SUnday at the local coin show I didn't have much money, so spent some time looking through a big box of Ikes for varieties. I found a 1972 Type 2 in BU for $1.25. I'll probably keep that forever and smile every time I look at it.
    Greg
  • Options
    lathmachlathmach Posts: 4,720
    I left school a month into 8th grade and went to work full time on a farm. I've worked for 52 years now.
    I came from a large family. There's still 10 of us kids alive. 7 are dead.
    There's always work if you want to work.
    The problem that most out of work people have is that they're "too good" to do some types of work.
    Take what work you can find. Any work is better than begging.
    Another thing, Mom might be on your ass because you're spending your money on coins while your leaching off her and your Dad.
    This is a hobby. As others have said, when times are tough, collect from circulation. If things get bad, spend your collection on necessities.
    Okay, go ahead and flame me if you want to.

Ray
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A collecting acquaintance (who I believes lurks here) spent years enjoying coins by studying catalogs and reading books, before he had the means to make significant additions to his collection. Apparently, his ship came in, and he had the wherewithal to go after things like finest known Chain cents, 94-S Barber dimes, finest known Dahlonega coins, and the like.

Now, most of us will not have those kinds of opportunities, but one can still prepare oneself for the time when he/she has the financial means to add to one's collection.

If you PM me your name and address, I will send you a Q. David Bowers book with my compliments, so you can prepare for the next phase of your collecting life, whenever that may be. image
  • Options

<< <i>I left school a month into 8th grade and went to work full time on a farm. I've worked for 52 years now.
    I came from a large family. There's still 10 of us kids alive. 7 are dead.
    There's always work if you want to work.
    The problem that most out of work people have is that they're "too good" to do some types of work.
    Take what work you can find. Any work is better than begging.
    Another thing, Mom might be on your ass because you're spending your money on coins while your leaching off her and your Dad.
    This is a hobby. As others have said, when times are tough, collect from circulation. If things get bad, spend your collection on necessities.
    Okay, go ahead and flame me if you want to.

Ray >>

• Options
    Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    Have fun

Parents are wonderfull, be gratefull you still have them

Jim
    Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • Options

<< <i>At 34 years of age you should have SAVED enough money in case of hardships

You should have at least six months expenses EMERGENCY FUND

Take whatever job you can get

I work in a machine shop as a SKILLED machinist making $42,000 a year at 46 years old

Have NO consumer debt, saved one years expenses for emergencies

Have a house payment-10 years to go

You are being a LEACH- Sucking thier money and personal time away from them

I do not feel sorry for you.You and only you have put yourself in this predicament and have also INVOLVED YOUR PARENTS in your FAILURE

You should be happy to have parents to bail your sorry ass out

Collecting coins is not a priority now

GET A JOB and SUPPORT YOURSELF

Buy yourself a book called

Total Money Make Over by Dave Ramsey

You have failed as the CEO of Me Incoporated

you need to get financially sound

Your Parents shouldn't have to put up with you in thier house and you complain about it

This is the truth whether you like it or not

Good Luck on you adventure

Jim >>

It would have been more appropriate and polite to send this message to him as a private message than to lambast him like this in the open forum. In private, the message might have hit home for him. In public, it only appears like you're trying to be rude and elitist. If you were trying to sell me on Dave Ramsey's book and I got this tone from you, the LAST thing I would do is check it out.
  • Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    People are being a little harsh on the OP. We don't know his circumstances and right now, the economy is tanking so it's not so easy to find work. (Though just to keep busy and bring in some money, even working at McDonalds beats being unemployed.) Anyway, I agree with the comments about collecting from circulation. Also, you can check out books from the ANA for free if you're a member, only pay for the cost of shipping.
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did anyone find that even though they no longer had discretionary income with which to acquire new coins, they still found ways to enjoy coin collecting

If you're unemployed and broke and still trying to figure out how to enjoy the hobby, your enthusiasm for the hobby is an asset that can be leveraged. I'd suggest that you try to find a job working for a coin dealer.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options

<< <i>It would have been more appropriate and polite to send this message to him as a private message than to lambast him like this in the open forum. >>

Unnecessary comment, and it's not like the OP probably doesn't already realize all of this.
  • Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    Cratylus had a good post!

My advice is use the time at home to get more stable, when you get a job even if it's not a great one you can save before you leave home so after that you will have a nestegg even a small one to get you throught the tough times since they seem to come every so often. Now is a tough time for many people, this country has lost so many jobs that finding a good one is not easy so start wherever you can.

I've worked for the biggest and supposedly one of the best companies (electronics) for 25 years and I watch as they lay off qualified engineers each year while at the same time they lobby for more H1B visas and outsource jobs to anyplace they can to make more profits. Just watching it happen has made me very thrifty because I expect it's not getting better and with the gov even outsourcing they don't seem eager to fix it. That alone has made me limit what I'll spend on anything I don't need, save while you can is my motto image

For coins I'd try getting bank boxes to search, you might find some good varieties while you have time to search.

Good luck and don't give up.
    Ed
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn't read the opening post as asking for sympathy, rather, I read it as asking for ideas to enjoy the hobby during this financially and emotionally challenging time. Collecting from circulation is a great idea, as is going to every local show just to look. Good luck.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    Sorry, once I got a taste freedom I did everything I could to stay away.
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Did anyone find that even though they no longer had discretionary income with which to acquire new coins, they still found ways to enjoy coin collecting

If you're unemployed and broke and still trying to figure out how to enjoy the hobby, your enthusiasm for the hobby is an asset that can be leveraged. I'd suggest that you try to find a job working for a coin dealer. >>

Are you hiring?image
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Musky1011 That was the most appalling self-riches encouragement statement that I have ever read! image

For an Elder member to address a Younger member who is down on his luck in this manner was just totally pathetic on your part! image

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    I appreciate all of the unvarnished feedback that posters have shared. I certainly do not begrudge anyone for giving their honest opinion when asked.
  • Options
    JulioJulio Posts: 2,501
    Musky1011, for once in my life I am at a loss for words. Shaking my head and praying for your soul. Take Care, jws.
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Then we have the 70 year old that is responsible for my 99 year old mother
    as well as assisting our children thru difficult economic times. Try that on for
    a fixed pension.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    oxy8890oxy8890 Posts: 1,416

<< <i>

<< <i>At 34 years of age you should have SAVED enough money in case of hardships

I work in a machine shop as a SKILLED machinist making $42,000 a year at 46 years old

I do not feel sorry for you.You and only you have put yourself in this predicament and have also INVOLVED YOUR PARENTS in your FAILURE

Your Parents shouldn't have to put up with you in thier house and you complain about it

Jim >>

It would have been more appropriate and polite to send this message to him as a private message than to lambast him like this in the open forum. In private, the message might have hit home for him. In public, it only appears like you're trying to be rude and elitist. If you were trying to sell me on Dave Ramsey's book and I got this tone from you, the LAST thing I would do is check it out. >>

imageimage
    Best Regards,

Rob

"Those guys weren't Fathers they were...Mothers."

• Options
    vplitevplite Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭
    I think some of the posters are being very harsh on you. Your situation sucks, and I pray is will get better for all concerned.

If it's any consolation I worked at a lousy job for a buck above minimum wage for 6 months until I landed what turned out to be my dream job.

I would take any work for now; it seems like it is easier to find a job when you already have one.
    The Golden Rule: Those with the gold make the rules.
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jim >>

While I agree with your sentiments, your delivery is pretty harsh. Try not to sprain your shoulder patting your own back.
  • Options

<< <i>If you PM me your name and address, I will send you a Q. David Bowers book with my compliments, so you can prepare for the next phase of your collecting life, whenever that may be >>

A very nice gesture there RYK image
    Young Numismatist ............................ and growing!
  • Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    I am sorry for your troubles but YOU CAN turn it around. Get a job, any job and you have made the 1st step. I have done jobs i hated, went to work sick but life goes on. It just not stop for anyone. 20 years ago i hurt my back (self employed) and had to have back surgery. ( I am glad i had insurance) I had no savings account. I had to suck it up and find a job 2 weeks after back surgery. Not the greatest idea in the world but at the time.... YOU CAN DO IT!!!! But you have to want to do it. Good luck and report back 6 months from now, 1 year from now, and tell us how far you have already made it back.
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options
    curlycurly Posts: 2,880

sturmgrenadier, brother, I don't care if it's skilled or not, there is dignity in all work. Never, ever, look down your nose at a job.
    Every man is a self made man.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>At thirty-four years of age. I've been out of work for nearly six months since relocating back to my native region to live with my parents in the house which I was raised. My first three months back 'home' were spent dealing with medical problems, but the last three I have been actively seeking employment without finding anything but unskilled jobs and temping work. As is often the case, living with my folks helps out with the expenses, but it entails more interpersonal aggravation (especially having to interact with my mother). And without a cashflow, it also means only getting to look at the coins that I want. I get the sense from reading threads that most of the posters on this forum are more stable financially, having steady, productive (if not necessarily 'lucrative') careers which have enabled them to advance professionally, developing new skills and reaping financial benefits. I've tried several different professions without much success. I would like to know if there are other collectors here who have had 'checkered careers' (and personal lives)? Did hardships/low points such as being out of work, suffering major medical illness, and other personal problems force anyone else to defer their collecting endeavors (perhaps even for years)? Did anyone find that even though they no longer had discretionary income with which to acquire new coins, they still found ways to enjoy coin collecting (browsing through and cataloging your collection, culling/trading for coins with better conditions, etc.)? Thanks for sharing your perspectivesimage >>

My dad always said any job is better than a kick in the teeth.
    Of course when I complained about the jobs I had, he reminded me that I could be sniffing farts out of car seats and that I should be grateful.

As for MOM, ... she had a leather belt around her neck. I didn't mess with her.
    When there're fifteen kids in the house... you learn to be happy with clean underwear.
  • Options
    GrivGriv Posts: 2,804
    How many forum members have their parent(s) living with them or paying for their residence(s) regardless of your own financial difficulties? And how has this affected your collecting?

Other shoe.
  • Options
    curlycurly Posts: 2,880

<< <i>How many forum members have their parent(s) living with them or paying for their residence(s) regardless of your own financial difficulties? And how has this affected your collecting?

Other shoe. >>

Both parents dead. Father died in 1948 when I was four, Mother died in 2005 when I was sixty one. I bought my first high dollar coin in 1964 when I paid $200 for a circulated 1909 S VDB. She thought I was an idiot, but it sure didn't slow me down.
    Every man is a self made man.
  • Options
    BRdudeBRdude Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    How many of us "parents" have kids who have moved back in to get their 'stuff' together and just never seem to be able to?? I'm not saying that this is the case with the OP'er, it's just that we have a 25 yr old son who, like the OP'er doesn't think a low paying, no-skill job is good enough for him, hence, he doesn't get ANY job, so we support him on, encourage him to find ANY work, and know in our heart of hearts that it isn't going to last much longer. I would advise him to accept ANY paying job he can find. You never know what will lead to what. Maybe that low paying job will lead to something better. I also have to ask, does he help out around the house while his folks are supporting him, or do his folks, like we do, have to pick up after him after working all day themselves?? I would complain not about my son if he made an attempt to earn his keep and would advise the OP'er to make an attempt to do the same for his folks. Take any job available, and make the best of a bad situation.
    AKA kokimoki
    the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed
    Join the NRA and protect YOUR right to keep and bear arms
    To protest against all hunting of game is a sign of softness of head, not soundness of heart. Theodore Roosevelt
    [L]http://www.ourfallensoldier.com/ThompsonMichaelE_MemorialPage.html[L]
  • Options
    Musky1011, respectfully, I don't find logic in your Post. I didn't respond immediately to your Post,(a supreme effort on my part) because I wanted to adjust my thoughts concerning your lack of manners. I have accomplished that very difficult task, but will state the conclusion was in doubt as to being in your favor. At 34 years of age you believe all should have accomplished the financial task of saving ENOUGH money for hardships AND six months of an emergency fund. How much is this in $? How much is enough? You are not aware of any of the OPs' particular life issues. Please explain the rule of life that sets 34 years as the requirement for the accomplishments you state should have been achieved by this time. Did you reach the personal financial condition you state in your Post by 34? Why did you need to purchase Mr. Ramseys' book, if you did? In excess of 73% of the population of the U.S. hasn't completed the accomplishments you state. I am certain that the reason is not for lack of reading Mr. Ramseys' book(the methods of which he urges all to use being somewhat questionable). Considering the financial condition of our economy at this time, it is wise to live with family members and have support when one is in the particular condition that the OP is. Would it be better if the OP became clinically depressed and required govt. intervention and "bail out" and became a "leach" on the public coffers? At all stages of life, we find ourselves at odds with our parents. The OP doesn't state he is not cognizant of their assistance or not grateful of same. He is exploring avenues to better his condition and is using a hobby as a mental outlet to stabilize and clarify his thoughts during this period, rather than sit and brood. He doesn't state he is going to go to the next coin show and spend his parents' money on coins. He doesn't state that collecting coins is his priority. As to buying Mr. Ramseys' book, if your intent was indeed to help the OP, would you not want him to borrow it from the Public Library and start on YOUR path to wealth? One could make the assumption from your Post that you have had or witnessed an experience similar to the OPs' and retain unpleasant memories about same. You claim the OP has put himself in the "predicament". You know this? Some of your advice is helpful- get a job and start on a path toward being financially sound. Other than that, your observations are of no value and serve only to fuel contempt. I am certain that if you had a financial misfortune that required the use of your 1 years' expenses for emergencie($42,000), you would not be as forward as you have been in your Post. Consider that the $42,000 MAY get you thru 1 major surgery if you didn't have health insurance, but you would still have the 10 years left on the house, the food bill, the electric, etc. But, you would still have Mr. Ramseys' book and could start all over again.... Respectfully and Without Malice(both lacking from your Post), John Curlis
  • Options

<< <i>Of course when I complained about the jobs I had, he reminded me that I could be sniffing farts out of car seats and that I should be grateful. >>

Wow, you mean I can actually get paid for doing that? image
  • Options
    lathmachlathmach Posts: 4,720

<< <i>How many forum members have their parent(s) living with them or paying for their residence(s) regardless of your own financial difficulties? And how has this affected your collecting?

Other shoe. >>

Mom's been dead 25 years, Dads been dead 22 years.
    I'd find a way to help them if I could have them back.

Ray
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Musky1011, respectfully, I don't find logic in your Post. I didn't respond immediately to your Post,(a supreme effort on my part) because I wanted to adjust my thoughts concerning your lack of manners. I have accomplished that very difficult task, but will state the conclusion was in doubt as to being in your favor. At 34 years of age you believe all should have accomplished the financial task of saving ENOUGH money for hardships AND six months of an emergency fund. How much is this in $? How much is enough? You are not aware of any of the OPs' particular life issues. Please explain the rule of life that sets 34 years as the requirement for the accomplishments you state should have been achieved by this time. Did you reach the personal financial condition you state in your Post by 34? Why did you need to purchase Mr. Ramseys' book, if you did? In excess of 73% of the population of the U.S. hasn't completed the accomplishments you state. I am certain that the reason is not for lack of reading Mr. Ramseys' book(the methods of which he urges all to use being somewhat questionable). Considering the financial condition of our economy at this time, it is wise to live with family members and have support when one is in the particular condition that the OP is. Would it be better if the OP became clinically depressed and required govt. intervention and "bail out" and became a "leach" on the public coffers? At all stages of life, we find ourselves at odds with our parents. The OP doesn't state he is not cognizant of their assistance or not grateful of same. He is exploring avenues to better his condition and is using a hobby as a mental outlet to stabilize and clarify his thoughts during this period, rather than sit and brood. He doesn't state he is going to go to the next coin show and spend his parents' money on coins. He doesn't state that collecting coins is his priority. As to buying Mr. Ramseys' book, if your intent was indeed to help the OP, would you not want him to borrow it from the Public Library and start on YOUR path to wealth? One could make the assumption from your Post that you have had or witnessed an experience similar to the OPs' and retain unpleasant memories about same. You claim the OP has put himself in the "predicament". You know this? Some of your advice is helpful- get a job and start on a path toward being financially sound. Other than that, your observations are of no value and serve only to fuel contempt. I am certain that if you had a financial misfortune that required the use of your 1 years' expenses for emergencie($42,000), you would not be as forward as you have been in your Post. Consider that the $42,000 MAY get you thru 1 major surgery if you didn't have health insurance, but you would still have the 10 years left on the house, the food bill, the electric, etc. But, you would still have Mr. Ramseys' book and could start all over again.... Respectfully and Without Malice(both lacking from your Post), John Curlis >>

imageimage
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭
    I guess I'm just in the minority here, but I don't really have a problem with what Musky said. It's a little "in your face," but I think the OP needs some "in your face' comments. The OP shouldn't be posting his problems on a coin board really. And for those of you who said Musky should have PMed the OP with his comments you couldn't be more wrong. That would have been a personal attack. Posting it in the open allows for others to defend the OP...which is exactly what happened. Y'all say Musky is too harsh and then you rip him a new one for posting his thoughts...poor form really.
    Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    As previously mentioned it is admirable that the OP can still find ways to enjoy the numismatics hobby despite financial difficulties. However, it is also important to know that having any job is much better than having no job at all. You never know, that job that you may consider to be demeaning or unsatisfactory can lead to something much rewarding in the future. If new immigrants to this country (especially those from East or Southeast Asia) can find ultimate success by starting at the bottom and working their way up then certainly you can do it too.

Everybody experiences difficulties in their lives sometime, somewhere. Find the one or few postitives that are happening for you at this moment and use that to build on.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    Thanks to all who have shared their insights here. With as many posters as there are, I think that I am actually hearing similar advice/observations from most posters here. The only difference is that some have been a bit kinder and gentler than others in expressing such, whereas others have been decidedly less diplomatic (please understand that I am not making a value judgment as to which approach is superior; I realize that the tone we take in communicating is (more than anything else) a function of our varied personalities, something that we can't really control).

If I may summarize what I have gleaned here: 1) never give up - always try to improve my situation; 2) gladly accept any work offered to me; 3) be grateful for what I do have (and be mindful of the corollary that a lot of people have it much worse); 4) continue to find ways to enjoy my hobbies (but obviously not at the expense of bettering my financial and living situation)

I apologize, because I can totally understand how the wording of my post could be interpreted to mean that I was unwilling to take certain types of work/I viewed unskilled jobs as being 'beneath me'image That isn't what I meant, though. In the past few months, I have been employed, though not full-time (or only intermittently full-time); I have largely been doing short-term, data-entry assignments through a local agency. Not glamorous work, but as many posters have pointed out, it is still work and better than doing nothingimage I have debated whether to jettison this somewhat unpredictable (albeit a bit higher paying) work in favor of a lower-paying, yet steadily full-time job working as a cashier at my local drugstore or a bookstore employee. By my saying that I don't have a cashflow, what I meant to convey is that my cash flow is about zero: my meager wages are about offset by my expenses, especially my COBRA premium (I had a good health insurance plan through my last job and i have been loathe to lose it, especially given the previous medical problems that I have had).

For a few months now, I have volunteered at a local shelter, helping to serve dinner on the first and third Saturdays of each month. This experience has been very enriching and humbling for me: I see how easily I could be in the exact same situation as some of the people to whom I serve food; without having the (unearned) benefit of having a supportive family, I would be sleeping in the shelter dorms and eagerly lining up at mealtime. I can understand how some posters objected to my not explicitly expressing gratefulness and humility towards my parents in my original post. I may have come across as haughty by neglecting to do so. For the record, though, I am very grateful for the aid my parents have give me in my time of need. Well that's enough about me; it wasn't my attempt to make this a personal biographyimage Thanks
    for the encouragement and honest opinions shared.

It was also nice of a few posters to point out the plight of folks in the corollary situation: having to care for elderly parents (and sometimes also for adult kids who have moved home). It reminds me of the old cliched 'saw' about there always being people who have it worse off than you think you have it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file