Home PSA Set Registry Forum

I know, I know . . .

I'm not really supposed to mention this on this board, since it is not a B/S/T board, but I am selling my 1949 Bowman and 1949 Bowman PCL sets listed in the Registry. More details are on the Vintage Board (or e-mail/PM me for further details).

Comments

• NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Say it ain't so.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    I'm speechless, you are the lord and master of the PCL set...jay
  • I'm sorry to hear that. Your Bowman PCL set is the best set on the Registry. Really! I would love to own it but I could't even aford the PSA 1 right now. Please tell use the story of how you managed to collect all of those cards. Did you buy most of them already graded, or did you send them in yourself? Where did you find them?
  • Dave,

Sad day. What's next?
    Dom

If I'm buying it's PRICELESS. If I'm selling, it's WORTHLESS.

Looking for 1984 Donruss -
    #238 Keith Hernandez PSA 10
    -----------------and
    #637 Omar Moreno PSA 9 or 10.

• VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    I bought two large lots of PCL cards from Mastro (ungraded except for two PSA 8's). When I started collecting the 49 Bowman set I decided that I wanted all 12 variation cards as well as the PCL set. I bought one really nice raw PCL card on eBay and when the lots came up, I couldn't resist. I submitted them separately and kept the best where there was duplication. The 1's, 2's, 3's and 4's were from a lesser lot that filled the holes on my nine missing cards.

I wouldn't feel bad about me selling them as the money will go into other cards. It was a blast collecting them. Once I made the decision that my 51 Bowman set was my most important set, I was prepared to sell the 49's if a great opportunity ever came along that I might not see again. That has happened and the seller (whom I have bought from in the past) is gracious enough to allow me to sell the cards I have to in order to pay for the ones that he has set aside. Once the transaction is complete (hopefully in the next 4-6 weeks) I will fill everyone in on the details.

I guess my PCL set will at least be immortalized on the all-time greatest list.
  • Vargha,

I'm new posting on these boards, but I've been reading for some time, and I've certainly enjoyed the scans of your PCL cards in the registry. It seems to me that the 51s are less interesting then the 49 PCLs, but what do I know...you're probably buying a Mantle in 10. image In any case, the best of luck with your break-up, and if you do wind up selling on eBay, look for me as a (very small) bidder.

The 1949 PCL is one of the most intriguing sets I have ever run across. The 1951 Bowman set is considered one of the "classic" sets to collect due to the presence of the rookie cards of Mays, Ford (Card #1) and Mantle. I have built it to such a high level that I decided that it would be my one focus should a difficult financial decision come along. I had hoped to keep the 1949 sets, but alas, life is full of such choices. I only wish that I were getting the Mantle in 10, considering that his PSA 9 card is worth over $100,000 based upon John Branca's recent $109,000 purchase on the Mays card.

If I cannot sell the sets whole, I will be contacting my old customers who buy 1949 Bowmans in PSA 7 or better as well as posting it on the Vintage Board for people to have about a week of "first come-first served" buying opportunities before it goes to the eBay buying public. Again everyone, my apologies for using the Set Registry Board on a topic that is all too much about selling my cards.
  • Vargha - Sorry to hear that you are having to sell off your other Bowman sets. I know you enjoyed those cards but I am sure you are going after bigger and better things. It just stinks when you are a true collector and you have to part with a collection that you have poured your heart and soul into, not to mention dollars.
    "We don't own these cards, we just hold them for awhile." -- Jay of Quality Cards
  • mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Not to mention that this liquidation is going toward a 1951 Bowman set that, in Registry terms, is the second most competitive completely-graded set, right behind 1952 Topps.

Vargha Bucks is up against the best of the best: Marshall Fogel, Charles Merkle and John Branca. Talk about some hobby heavyweights!
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • dudedude Posts: 1,454 ✭✭
    Vargha,

That's a very tough decision and I've made several similar ones. I've sold off parts of my vast sportscard empire just to improve one or two particular sets. I've even sold cards in one set and bought other cards for the same set and it worked out quite well for me and I have no regrets. Good luck. No apology is needed either for using the Registry Message Board for this topic. It's turned out to be the "true and pure" collector's forum - in my opinion.
  • carkimcarkim Posts: 1,166 ✭✭
    I bid on them.
    The regular set sold for the reserve of $18,000. The PCL set wasn't even close to reserve. I sold 27 ungraded duplicates from the PCL set on eBay last year (average of VG/EX to EX with none better than EX/MT) for $4,000. I am still the undisputed 49 Bowman PCL king but am exploring options for the sale of the set.

(Typo)
  • mcastaldimcastaldi Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭
    Could this signal the re-opening of my local Vargha National Bank branch?

Mike
    So full of action, my name should be a verb.
    I just spoke with the winning bidder. He is a collector who is already on the Set Registry and plans on keeping the set intact. In fact, he has some upgrades for it as well. I am glad that another collector got this rather than it going to a dealer to be broken up. Additionally, we worked out a trade whereby I am getting one of the eleven cards I need in PSA 8 for my 1951 set that he has in his 1951 set.
  • David,

That's great. It's nice to know that one's labor of love is going to a good home, plus you were able to get one more slot filled in your main focus. Sounds like a positive transaction all around.
    THE FLOGGINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES
  • theBobstheBobs Posts: 1,136 ✭✭
    David,

Excellent news that the sale is working out so well. Keeping that set together is important, and I was nervous when 707 was leading the charge.

A question though. Your 49B set is currently #2 all time. Upon completion of the transaction and upgrade by the buyer -- does it fall to #3 with the buyer's set and upgrades going to #2?

Just kinda interesting that he could upgrade 1 card, and get the number 2 spot alltime. Then the #2 and #3 sets alltime are basically the same set?

Just curious. Thanks and congrats again...

Brian
    Where have you gone Dave Vargha
    CU turns its lonely eyes to you
    What's the you say, Mrs Robinson
    Vargha bucks have left and gone away?

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
    Brian -- I believe your assessment is correct. However, I would drop off of the Current Finest list.
  • Congrats Vargha, at least the '49 set met the reserve and you are getting a slot in your '51 set filled. I had been watching the auctions. I can't believe the PCL set didn't sell. Also, glad the set you sold is going to a collector.
    "We don't own these cards, we just hold them for awhile." -- Jay of Quality Cards
  • David, does the "one of eleven" get you to 8.00? amazing
    I'm not sure if it does or not. It takes at least six or seven point upgrades to move up 0.01 on the rating for this set. In other words, the card I am getting is a high number that I have in PSA 7 (and will now have in PSA 8). The Weight for this card is only 2.5, meaning that I would have to be on the high-end of 7.99 to see it flip over to 8.00 However, I will be at 8.00 soon enough when all of these current transactions are finished. I never imagined that I would have so many transactions for my 1951 Bowman set for all of this year, much less for the first 6 weeks.