Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

The stolen coin registry..................please read

Young Numismatist ............................ and growing!

Comments

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I once had a 1914 cent stolen in the mail. I had the idea to just keep it listed in the case someone tried to list it, and could not, and I would be able to put PCGS in touch with them and see if they would be willing to tell me from who they got it and let them know it was stolen. But then I remembered that the reality is we, the collectors here with sets, probably only make up 1/2 of 1% of ALL the PCGS coin collectors out there. But it still may be worth a shot even if one coin is recovered.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    ajiaajia Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭
    Been thought of before, only not as a centralized set.

Don't take all of this personally, but if the registry is yours, who would get notified that the coin was trying to be added to another registry?
    If you contact the member who had the coin stolen, now he has to prove the coin is his, not yours & not the person trying to add it to his set.
    If you remove it from your set, then it's a race between the 'owner' (who contacted you) and the person trying to add it to their set!

Also, when PCGS asks for proof that the coin is yours how would you come up with it? Or that the coin is still in your possession?
    To have pictures you need to ask the original owner (which you have requested), but when the new 'owner' provides multiple pictures it would appear obvious who holds the coin in hand.

And if the coin in question was one that was hijacked in the mail coming to you, then the only photo that might be available would be the on used online.

Lastly, thought PCGS might let it slide, the registry rules state that the registrant has to have the coin in hand before it can be added to a set. Obviously this would not be the case here.

I like the idea, but this is something each member can do on their own if they wanted to, avoiding the middleman. And some probably have.

Edit to add
    BTW- Doesn't PCGS already have a list of stolen coins?
    It may only contain high-end pieces, but I seem to recall when a dealer was robbed of many coins at a show a few years ago PCGS started listing certs for these.
  • Options

Ajia you make some very good points and I can see what you mean. As is, this is just a heads up play to inform others and as you stated, some collectors may already be doing it (as they should). Another excellent point you made was about "proof" of original ownership and I hope others read your comments and take that to heart as it could very well be the deciding factor with regard to a recovery! Thanks for your insightful input........................your comments were well spoken and are much appreciated.
    Young Numismatist ............................ and growing!