Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Team cards and master player sets?

Has there been a discussion of this in the past? I'm finding more and more team cards now added to player sets. Seems to me to be a bit of a stretch.
Ted Williams, Willie Mays, Tom Seaver, Mike Schmidt, George Brett, Bob Gibson, Lou Brock player collector

Comments

• calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭
    Try typing in "Team cards" in the search feature at the top of Registry forum.----Its works great.
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • cardfan07cardfan07 Posts: 680 ✭✭
    I'm sure it does.
    I wanted fresh opinions on this.
    Ted Williams, Willie Mays, Tom Seaver, Mike Schmidt, George Brett, Bob Gibson, Lou Brock player collector
  • DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭
    I agree that they are a bit of a reach for the player sets. Most of the time you can't make out individual player in the pictures.

I've started to pick up the team cards of the two players that I'm actively collecting; the only thing that makes it tough is the OPC team cards.
    What about the 73 and 74 team signed cards? Do they put those in master player sets? I've only looked at a couple of payers, but I haven't seen them.
    To me it makes more sense to me to put the auto cards into a Player set because at least you can make out the players auto.
    "The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • paleocardspaleocards Posts: 922 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm absolutely against including team cards in master player sets. The "bloat" in master player sets is directly attributable to these silly additions. It seems that every time I register a newly-acquired card for my Aaron, Mays, Koufax, etc. master sets I actually end up having a smaller completion percentage! Didn't these HOFers hang it up over 30 years ago? How come we can't settle on a master set and leave it at that?
  • magellanmagellan Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭
    I totally agree Andy.......added a card to my Yaz master set today only to find my % complete has gone from 60 odd to 53% . PSA of course would like us to grade every card in our collections.
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    Did I leave anything out?
    I've done a little looking and at least it appears that this is being done consistently. Mantle, Mays, Clemente, etc have teams listed. I don't agree with it. I'll continue any master sets I have, getting the cards I want, but stopping short of collecting the team cards. That might be a cool idea to get teams sets, but I don't think they fit with an individual player set.
    BTW, the Mays master set has TOPPS and OPC teams sets both!
  • Just wait until someone puts all of the checklists in which the players name is on as part of the set...
    Cory
    ----------------------
    Working on:
    Football
    1973 Topps PSA 8+ (99.81%)
    1976 Topps PSA 9+ (36.36%)
    1977 Topps PSA 9+ (100%)

Baseball
    1938 Goudey (56.25%)
    1951 Topps Redbacks PSA 8 (100%)
    1952 Bowman PSA 7+ (63.10%)
    1953 Topps PSA 5+ (91.24%)
    1973 Topps PSA 8+ (70.76%)
    1985 Fleer PSA 10 (54.85%)
  • mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Venezuelan Topps team cards, too!
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Venezuelan Topps team cards, too! >>

Let's not go there.

Seriously, what do you guys think about the Topps/OPC team Auto cards form the early/mid 70's?
    "The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
    Venezuelans add more fun! And to me checklist = team card already...but it's probably just a matter of time. Speaking of checklist, there are 2 1967 Willie Mays checklists in the master set. At least his head is on them.
    It would be nice to have a strong consensus on this stuff - but it seems like the sets will continue to grow with these cards being added from time to time. I'd like my % complete to quit going down for once!
  • NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    I don't have a problem with a card that specially features a player, such as the '67-'69 checklists, being added.
    Team photo cards are ridiculous ('75 [reg. and mini] Indians Team being an exception for Frank Robinson, because he's on a separate inset photo and is the only person named) IMO - are we supposed to use a magnifying glass to see if the player is actually in the picture before it's added?
    Can we use the '71 Yankees card in the Thurman Munson set even though he's not actually in the picture (the picture was taken in 1967, and shows Mickey Mantle)?

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • MiniMasterMiniMaster Posts: 505 ✭✭
    What is everyone's take on having all variations of cards in Team Sets? Shouldn't they be left in the Master Sets?

I don't see having all variation cards in Team Sets.... Some are extremely rare and IMHO should be left to the Master Sets.

This is happening in the 1968 Topps Team Sets. Some of the team sets have the variation cards and some do not. In this case if they aren't in some of them they shouldn't be in any of them (IMHO).

Perhaps there should be Master Team Sets and Basic Team Sets?