Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

The I've-been-really-busy-with-my-new-dog/5-years-at-CU-- Giveaway--WINNERS

StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
Wow, I realized
1. That today is my 5 year anniversary of signing up for this crazy place, and

2. That I hadn't posted here other than a few pms for a month until this week! I hadn't even logged on but once or twice a week either.

What, you may ask, has been keeping me so busy??? The usual culprits include work, family, sick mother (getting better) etc. I also, in a moment of insanity, signed up to do a (short!) triathlon.

But the real reason for my busy-ness is that I have found another website to lurk at image. All because of this cool creature who came to our house in late December... a 6 (about to turn 7 tommorw) year old retired racing greyhound named Jackie. She is a big love-bug and contrary to popular belief this breed is increadibly mellow and laid back--she sleeps about 23 hours a day image.

Okay, so for the giveaway...I have bought a couple of greyhound related items of the numismatic/exonumia variety naturally. One item is exactly what you see in this link: Linkage. I have a spare now from that very seller. I bought one, and it was sent but he mixed up the packages and mine went to Connecticut. Eventually we swapped out okay, but the guy went and sent a second one. I tried to explain and I even mailed it back...and a couple weeks later, it showed back up again. I gave up and kept it, so now I have two.

The second prize I have is this coin:

I have a few of them stuffed in a drawer somewhere.

Anyway, nothing clever for the giveaway, just post if you are interested...or if you happen to have a cool greyhound (or other dog) coin. If any of you happen to have a certain conder with a greyhound on it (off the top of my head I think it's Middlesex 324) for sale I'd be interested (not that I collect conders you understand--I don't I tell you, I don't!).

Cathy

edited to add...I'll pick winners in a week

Comments

• Options
    BlackhawkBlackhawk Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭
    Your dog has an interesting pattern on it's back. image I'll take a look and see if I have anything with a greyhound on it...I don't think so, but you never know.
    "Have a nice day!"
  • Options
    trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    Yep, time passes quickly when you're having fun. Congratulations on the 5 years! Cool lookin' dog. image
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options
    Very cool dog, quite the opposite in weight of the Norwegian Elkhound I had until recently.
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations, Cathy! Beautiful greyhound. I recently realized that in about a month, I'll have an anniversary, as well image Time does fly...

• Options
    oldshepoldshep Posts: 3,240
    Stork - Congratulations on 5 years on the boards - I always have enjoyed your mother and child posts and some of your neat medals.
    Don't be such a stranger - don't include me in the giveway, it would be neat if a YN could get it.
    Shep
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Stork - Congratulations on 5 years on the boards - I always have enjoyed your mother and child posts and some of your neat medals.
    Don't be such a stranger - don't include me in the giveway, it would be neat if a YN could get it.
    Shep >>

What a nice looking dog - her coat is quite intriguing. I had a whippet for years that we always suspected had a bit of greyhound in its blood.

I'm with Shep - if my name happened to be the one, I would love to sent it to a deserving YN.
  • Options
    Congrats on 5 years! image
    I have 4 dogs and love them all.

Thank you for the chance on your generous giveaway.
  • Options
    ASUtoddASUtodd Posts: 1,312 ✭✭
    Wow I'm this one for sure!!! My wife has recently asked me to start her an animal coin collection so I have. These could fit in great!! Thanks for the opprotunity! I would also like to thank you for taking in an animal that needed a home. I currently have 7 beagles that we rescued from the animal shelter (It was 14 but we found homes for 7). Thanks for helping the animals!
    Todd
  • Options
    zeebobzeebob Posts: 2,825
    Thank you for the generous offer of a give-a-way. Very nice photos of your pooch. It's nice to see someone that actually has a life outside of work and computer forums. Reminds me I gotta get out more.

Thank you again.

Do you perchance have an interest in any of the wildlife coins New Zealand has issued? I'm thinking of the decimal dollars in particular.

Cheers,

Bob
  • Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭✭
    Jackie is a pretty one. I have a greyhound - pointer mix. I've been told that greyhounds are the fastest couch potatoes!

This is Dolly - rescued from North Carolina 3 1/2 years ago.
    I don't know what I'd do if she ever catches a squirrel she loves to chase.
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    Beautiful Dog.
    Congratulations!!!image

~
  • Options
    Please enter me in your generous giveaway
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    Well, Happy Birthday, Jackie. My name is Ruby, and I'm MacCrimmon's owner. He's starting to catch on to my bag of tricks after 8+ years.

Here's my picture when I was a young 4 year-old, and hey, we're the same brindle colour. I bet Stork is a good mom to you. image

Here's my two other roommates, Dubghal (the big black goofball), and Dolly is on the couch with me.

Well, Mac told me to say "Hi!", but don't enter him in your nice giveaway, and congrats on your 5 years. image
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    I also, in a moment of insanity, signed up to do a (short!) triathlon.

That's good. It's been an extremely pleasant 5 years, Cathy. image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    laserartlaserart Posts: 2,255
    I have a good friend that has a greyhound. It's the only dog I ever knew that could pass by the dinner table and swipe your hamburger without having to jump UP to do it. Nice dog though.
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • Options
    TTT, I have six or so of the second prize, so more entries please or I may be in the awkward position of having fewer non-winners than winners image

Shep and WorldCoinGuy: I like the idea of YNs, but I'm not too sure who on the darkside qualify anymore--I need names or the names of parents image

Blackhawk: "Your dog has an interesting pattern on it's back.". Her coloration is called brindle and there are many shades. Greyhounds are interesting because one thing they have not been bred for is color and I think there is something like 18 or so color themes.

Trozau, TwoK, OldShep, Resplandor, fruitloops and Syracusian--thank you for the thoughts--I know some of you from my earliest times on the forum and it's the people who keep me coming back to visit even when I'm busy. It's nice to see the old along with the new as well--keeps this place interesting image.

Dan8402: I hope there isn't a sad story there image I know there is at least one coin that has that breed on it.

JimK, ASUTodd: You should start a band 2guys/11dogs--wow!!

ZeeBob: I don't really have much of a life...this is my main entertainment image. I haven't really looked at the New Zealand coins, though I did get one with a kiwi on it from LordM once.

Gene: Dolly looks (I won't go with the obvious image) really sweet image

Ruby: Yep, your Mac is a really lucky guy...three greyhounds to wait on. I see you were kind enough to leave a little space on the floor for the humans as the dogs are up on the furniture. Jackie hasn't gotten on the couch yet, but I expect to see her there one day.

Laserart: I have been told that as sighthounds they can spot a bite of food a mile away. I think my dog is part scenthound though, she can dig through a packed suitcase to find the airline pretzels still in the bag. She can also make a precise 2 1/2 inch incision in a bagel bag (thought to be safely out of reach) and eat every single bagel out without even deflating the bag.

Recent medal purchases image Not so good pictures taken in a hurry, and I was trying to play with the photobucket tools a little:

Cathy

• Options

<< <i>
    Dan8402: I hope there isn't a sad story there image I know there is at least one coin that has that breed on it.
    >>

Ellie was about 13 or 14 years old and was just getting old. She had a lot of problems including arthritis. Now that I think about it, it was almost 6 months ago. Now my mom is looking to get another dog but can't decide what kind. I have thought about getting some Elkhound coins, but haven't gotten around to it.

The picture is Ellie in her favorite place...in the snow image

• Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    Don't enter me either, just wanted to thank you guys for adopting those great dogs. Looks like they all found good homes!

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cathy, congratulations on your milestone!

Do you have any Irish predecimal 6d coins? The wolfhound on the back of them is very greyhound-like.

(For all I know you may have posted a picture of such a coin above, but I cannot see any of the Photobucket pix from this server, alas.)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    Stork, a wonderful anniversary!

You are the gem, the Columbia,
    the woman of our realm.
    Always complimentary,
    a steady hand at the distaff helm.

I'll see you on your tenth; I love your dogs!
    Hmmm, I have cats who looked at your images and purred...

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    Dan8402, I see the look of intelligence in Ellie's eyes, looking right atcha'.

An interesting show on cable recently revealed an apes inability to pick up cues from their handlers eyes
    but a dog's prowess at following and acting on visual cues from an owner/ handlers eyes in a variety of circumstances.

I believe the consensus opinion from the show is that early on in human evolution dogs bonded with humans in a unique manner,
    perhaps more complexly than previously thought.

Ellie looks ready for: Lights, Camera, Action!
  • Options
    dcamp78dcamp78 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭
    Congrats on the milestone! Please throw my name in the hat!

Big Dave
    Big Dave
    -------------------------
    Good trades with: DaveN, Tydye, IStillLikeZARCoins, Fjord, Louie, BRdude
    Good buys from: LordMarcovan, Aethelred, Ajaan, PrivateCoinCollector, LindeDad, Peaceman, Spoon, DrJules, jjrrww
    Good sale to: Nicholasz219
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Cathy, I just wanted to say what a pleasure it has been to interact with you in this forum. You are a wonderful person and a huge asset here. Good luck with everything! We love you!

imageimageimage

PS: no need to enter me in the giveaway, however image
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    Beautiful Dog there, Cathy!

I like that medal and coin, too image
    To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
  • Options
    Wow, another week has gone by without me actually logging on (though I've peeked at a couple threads)..so a little belated giveaway winner picking. Hopefully I will log on a little more frequently as the triathlon is now behind me (I'm not too sure I will be able to walk tomorrow but at least my fingers don't hurt). I thank you all for the kind words (and poetry!).

Anyway, I had my youngest pick from a hat...

Number one and winner of the medal is Laserart image

The runners-up (or is it runner-ups???) are: Trozau, dan4802, TwoK, JimK, ASUTodd, Laruentyvan, Ruby (okay, MacCrimmon), and dcamp78. Turns out I had 8 of them when I went and counted.

PM the addys and I will work at sending them off. Eventually image.

Cathy

• Options
    ttt for the winners (this fell off the 1st page pretty quickly)...

• Options

<< <i>Wow, another week has gone by without me actually logging on (though I've peeked at a couple threads)..so a little belated giveaway winner picking. Hopefully I will log on a little more frequently as the triathlon is now behind me (I'm not too sure I will be able to walk tomorrow but at least my fingers don't hurt). I thank you all for the kind words (and poetry!).

Anyway, I had my youngest pick from a hat...

Number one and winner of the medal is Laserart image

The runners-up (or is it runner-ups???) are: Trozau, dan4802, TwoK, JimK, ASUTodd, Laruentyvan, Ruby (okay, MacCrimmon), and dcamp78. Turns out I had 8 of them when I went and counted.

PM the addys and I will work at sending them off. Eventually image.

Cathy >>

Wow, I forgot to look at this forum yesterday and only now discovered the good news. I'll send my address in a bit, great dogs and nice giveaway too. Not only that I don't think I had anything from Somalia for my 1 per country collection.
  • Options
    So now I went back to look at the medal and I see it is French ?? I suppose I read in haste and saw the first one pictured, the Somali one.

But I still don't have a Somali image
  • Options
    But I am fortunate to have won,

wouldn't you think I would have thought this thru and put this all in one reply? Nah, I need the count. image
  • Options
    To the winners..I am very slow, but I finally got to the post office today. image

• Options

<< <i>To the winners..I am very slow, but I finally got to the post office today. image >>

I guess I should have read this first, (before sending a PM) I thought it got losted in the mail.image
  • Options
    I received the medal yesterday and it is a great addition to my collection. Thank you stork this was worth waiting for !
  • Options
    Thanks stork for the really nice canine coin.image