Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Please tell me how this Peyton Manning faded autograph can bring $8,000+

Can somebody please tell me how this faded autograph can be $8,000+ with 23 hours left???

This card by the way is the most faded autographed card I have seen period. Are people really on drugs that much were they can't tell the autograph is faded that badly???

Auction Link

Giovanni

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WOW
  • Options

<< <i>WOW >>

You know Perk, I would have put this on the WOW card thread, but the auto is just to faded, it almost got me sick to my stomach just looking at it.

Giovanni
  • Options
    stupid people paying stupid money image
  • Options

<< <i>stupid people paying stupid money image >>

Ok, I can see that price maybe if it were in a PSA 10 slab, plus the autograph be a bold and bright blue or black, whatever color it originaly came and I would say ok, but of course still crazy money, but way better than that card.

Giovanni
  • Options

<< <i>

Ok, I can see that price maybe if it were in a PSA 10 slab,Giovanni >>

It basically is in a PSA 10 slab....
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Ok, I can see that price maybe if it were in a PSA 10 slab,Giovanni >>

It basically is in a PSA 10 slab.... >>

PSA or no PSA, that auto is still the worst auto i've seen period, and sure it would look better in a PSA slab and it probably would pass as such, but that auto is making my stomach twist.

Giovanni
  • Options
    ripkenintheminorsripkenintheminors Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭
    Initially I would think that a PSA 10 slab wouldn't get that much. For a card as condition sensitive as that one is, PSA has given out quite a few Gem Mint grades. Then again, the last PSA 10 did sell for around $9,000.
  • Options
    Check out this BGS 6 auto grade Linky

I don't know which autograph is worst???

This is so stupid that its 8K+ when the autograph itself will come back a 6 or less.

Giovanni
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    It is not faded, it was an issue with the UV gloss on the super premium surface. The Randy Moss also has this problem. I think a lot of the strong signatures have been cleaned with alcohol and "resigned".
  • Options
    cubfan89cubfan89 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭
    That amount is really mind boggling to me. That's almost what my car cost!
  • Options
    fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    $80.00 is too much
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    It's amazing how a slab can blind people of the card contained within. I wouldn't pay 8 cents for that card.

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options

<< <i>It is not faded, it was an issue with the UV gloss on the super premium surface. The Randy Moss also has this problem. I think a lot of the strong signatures have been cleaned with alcohol and "resigned". >>

I'm not sure if an article has been done on this, but I would enjoy knowing why there is a black and blue ink variety on this card. Considering that I've never seen a solid black ink sig, I'm inclined to think that a marker switch took place.

As far as the comments about not paying $.08-$80.00 for that card, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Considering that it has been selling raw for well over $2,000 I would take as many of the 200 production run as I could get for under $100.
  • Options

<< <i>It is not faded, it was an issue with the UV gloss on the super premium surface. The Randy Moss also has this problem. I think a lot of the strong signatures have been cleaned with alcohol and "resigned". >>

Thats a very good idea!

That would definetly work, and maybe then it could be worth something close to that. But do they still pass when grading?

Giovanni
  • Options

<< <i>It's amazing how a slab can blind people of the card contained within. I wouldn't pay 8 cents for that card.

Greg M. >>

Amen Greg.

Giovanni
  • Options
    I'm almost amazed on how you see shops just leave nice auto cards in the light all day for years. Seen few nice auto cards with worse faded sigs. Like said before, that was a bad set for auto;s, many bubbled on that glossy surface. They should have know better when they did that set. Either rubdown the auto card or baby powder them and then had them sign it. It's one case where a sticker graph would have looked much better.
  • Options
    gumbyfangumbyfan Posts: 5,159

<< <i>

I'm not sure if an article has been done on this, but I would enjoy knowing why there is a black and blue ink variety on this card. Considering that I've never seen a solid black ink sig, I'm inclined to think that a marker switch took place.

As far as the comments about not paying $.08-$80.00 for that card, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Considering that it has been selling raw for well over $2,000 I would take as many of the 200 production run as I could get for under $100. >>

Amen to THAT! As for the blue/black ink issue...I wonder how many of the blue ink autos were the ones that had the black auto "cleaned" off the card with rubbing alcohol and resigned after the fact. I liken this to recoloring a vintage card and getting it slabbed. Would anyone be bickering over price if it was a slightly faded Babe Ruth auto?

We're talking about one of the most sought after modern cards that they only made 200 of...whether the auto is crisp or faded, that card will continue to bring high dollars in high grade. Manning is on pace to own every record in the book if he stays healthy and continues to play for good teams.

I understand the personal opinions of those who would not spend this type of money for the card, but there are clearly some that would. The last time I checked, higher values on cards was good for the hobby. image
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    I've seen worse. They must have used really crappy pens that year.
  • Options

<< <i>I'm almost amazed on how you see shops just leave nice auto cards in the light all day for years. Seen few nice auto cards with worse faded sigs. Like said before, that was a bad set for auto;s, many bubbled on that glossy surface. They should have know better when they did that set. Either rubdown the auto card or baby powder them and then had them sign it. It's one case where a sticker graph would have looked much better. >>

That is exactly what happened, here. This Peyton sig is not a fade resulting from using a faulty pen, or the type of UV surface it has. Rather, this card has been displayed in the light for some time, and that has caused the fade of the sig.

I guess I am too picky, but I never display any autograph in any light source. All my autographs are stored in total darkness, so that the sig will stay pristine. If I want to view them, I would rather take the time get them out, rather than see the sig gradually disappear over time in the light.

I seen a copy of the rare Donruss Signature Ripken preview card do this exact same thing in a local area shop. I tried to buy the card back when the sig was perfect, but could never get a deal worked with the guy. As a time frame of about 4 years passed, still sitting in his display case, it started looking just like this Peyton. It's too bad, because to me, it was basically ruined, and I was no longer interested, once it was faded out. A $1,000+ rare auto damaged due to a shop owner being stubborn and not listening to my advice to get it out of the direct light. Another shame, just like this Peyton.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This Peyton sig is not a fade resulting from using a faulty pen, or the type of UV surface it has. Rather, this card has been displayed in the light for some time, and that has caused the fade of the sig. >>

I disagree.
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Circle gets the square.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>This Peyton sig is not a fade resulting from using a faulty pen, or the type of UV surface it has. Rather, this card has been displayed in the light for some time, and that has caused the fade of the sig. >>

I disagree. >>

Well, that's unfortunate, but what I said is true.

I have a friend in New Mexico who is obsessed with Peyton and owns many of these. As a mater of fact, I believe he owns around 20-25 of them, the last time we spoke. I have seen numerous copies of this card, and the sig never had this problem unless light got to it.

Bubbling of the sig due to the card's slick UV suface is one thing, but that does not cause the sig to fade. This is just like the 2001 SPX Pujols, when you speak of the UV surface being slick and having some sig bubbling issues, but it has nothing to do with faded sigs. Light fades ink, not a slick surface on the card.

EDIT: spelling
  • Options
    Final price: 8118.00

I figured it would increase over the final few minutes but no bids happened.
  • Options
    I wouldn't pay $118 for it!

Giovanni
  • Options

<< <i>I wouldn't pay $118 for it! >>

I would..................gladly!
  • Options
    JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
    Well, the 1998 Playoff Contenders Peyton Manning Ticket Auto SGC 98 is back on ebay here:

Auction Re 1998 Playoff Contenders Peyton Manning Ticket Auto SGC 98

We all know that Rose City Sports paid (well, he actually won the auction for $8,118.00 ... don't know for sure that he paid that amount) $8,118.00 for the card back on 4.15.08 here:

SGC 98 for $8,118.00

I'm curious to see if he makes a profit on the card ... or a loss.

/s/ JackWESQ

P.S. Here's the card again:

• Options
    GonblottGonblott Posts: 1,951 ✭✭
    I would buy one of those cards with the auto nearly or completely off....then just go to a show and get it re-signed.

Good as new!
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I would buy one of those cards with the auto nearly or completely off....then just go to a show and get it re-signed.

Good as new! >>

And what exactly do you think the odds are that it will grade out as GEM MINT if/when it was resubmitted?

I'm thinking 5%
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    Ladder7Ladder7 Posts: 1,221
    Yea, great investment potential. PT Barnum was correct.

I could see that price if it were printed on;

*Not picking on Manning, but all modern autos selling for insane prices.
  • Options
    really silly to pay that kind of money for a living player. I agree, get him to re-sign the card. or better yet, get him to sign a napkin for free image
  • Options
    I'll never be able to understand it either .

I can think of a lot of other things I could buy with that money but hey, it's the buyers money , obviously they think it is worth it .

For some reason < Shrug > image