Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1978 Topps Baseball PSA Set - Completed in 74 days!

A big thank you goes out to the following:

Late1970sTopps - Frank.....Got me started with 74% of the set on Feb 1st
Jonnyc - Jon......who gave me first crack at a few toughies
mets - George.....who broke up his set and allowed me to purchase the last 87 cards that I needed
VCP - Vintage Card Prices.....which allowed me to put together detailed proposals to get the cards that I needed
A few others who offered up a few cards here and there......too many to mention all, but you know who you are

This set was started on Feb 1st, 2008 and stands at 100% complete on April 14th, 2008, only 74 days.
It is the 7th current finest, with a 9.02 GPA.
It contains 30 10s, 686 9s, and only 10 8s.

Thanks again, it has been a fun ride!

Edited to add a link to the set:
Gameusedhoop 1978 Topps Set

Comments

• Options
    fattymacsfattymacs Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭
    Congrats to you, and kudos to those that helped you along.
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Outstanding on time of completion and set quality! May I ask how you did relative to SMR?
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice set, and super completion time. image

PS - If you ever want to upgrade #422 shoot me a PM. image
  • Options
    samspopsamspop Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭

Great job on a great set!! I still remember as a kid buying the 1978 packs at our local 7-11!!
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations!

Why so fast? And what was the total on the cost to do a set that fast - if ya don't mind my asking?

Ya making me look bad - I've been working on my 63F BB set for over 4 yrs and only at 67% with 67 cards! image

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭

<< <i>May I ask how you did relative to SMR? >>

Not too bad, if SMR can be believed. The first 74% from Frank was 20% cash and 80% trade. Which took alot of the sting $$wise out of the set. The last 13% was bought at VCP prices, alot of low pop, tough cards that SMR has no clue on. Watson in a 9 sells for over $120 consistantly, Rivers is always $100+, SMR is $9 on both. All in all it was very fair to both myself and George to do it like we did. I think that we are both happy the way it worked out. Most of the singles here and there that I bought were at VCP prices also. I backed out of a few bidding wars, knowing that in time there would be more graded or made available.
  • Options

<< <i>Why so fast? And what was the total on the cost to do a set that fast - if ya don't mind my asking? >>

Why not? Things happened just right timewise. A 74% start was huge, 14% was piecemeal from ebay and these boards, and George breaking his set for the last 12% was huge. I probably would have had to search another year or so had he not accepted my offer. The offer was well thought out and very fair to both of us, that's what made it work.

All in all less than $5000 in cash and a trade with a base value of $3500 got it done. Not too bad, not a high quality, long term investment by any means, but it was fun to do. I seem to be a serial set builder, then seller. I have done the 64T Giants, 74T Baseball, 70T Hockey, 71T Hockey, 72T Hockey, 73T Hockey, 75T Hockey, 68T Hockey, 76T Hoop, 80 OPC Hockey, 81T Hoop, 88 Fleer Hoop, 71F Cocoa Puffs Globetrotters. Been near or at the top in all, then sold them off either by the set or piece. I seem to have Donald Trump disease, it is the thrill of the deal and chase. This is by far the largest set that I've done.

I just kind of muddle along until I find a big lot at a great price and go from there, or in the case of the Trotters, 73, 72, 71 and 70 Hockey, nice raw sets that I sent in the majority of the cards for grading myself, that's the cheapest way to do it by far.
  • Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    Congrats - very very quick completion.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great job one a great set! I've been putting this set together for about a year or so now, with as many cards as I can pull from unopened packs as I can, and the rest purchased off ebay. With all the leftover cards, I should have a decent raw set, too.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I seem to be a serial set builder >>

Thanx Steve.

So 8K for the set - with trade - it's a great set IMO - sounds like it will be up for grabs eventually.

So - just out of curiosity - do you pick anything up that stays permanently in your hands? I can't seem to part with anything! Even if I could use the money. I still miss a card I traded away - even tho I benefitted both set-wise and money-wise.

I guess this falls into the thing I posted when I came back in Feb about the "psychology" of collecting - the different types and all that.

Good luck on the next venture!
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Thats great, congradulations to you, thats a fast time to complete any set I think.

I can just imagine how exicting it might be to complete a set, and hope to do it myself some day!

Again, Congrats on that great goal image

Giovanni
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    completion....

must b nice

j
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    69Cubs69Cubs Posts: 150 ✭✭
    Wow! Completed the set in 74 days with a 9 average, thats what I call dedication! Well done!

Mike
  • Options
    tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    Congrulations. I've been stuck on 75% for a while, I don't have the motivation to finish it off.
  • Options
    SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭
    A twirl of my white suit jacket from the dance floor to you!

From Nick...Saturday Night Fever, #4.

• Options
    Nice work anything up next for ya GU HOOP.
  • Options
    Wow, that is great. Got current 18, let me know when you break it up, got most of mine on this board, my attention span seems to wander, where was I, oh yeah, great job. Tim
  • Options

<< <i>Nice work anything up next for ya GU HOOP. >>

Nothing yet, but I'm looking. Something not as large, sport is unimportant (anything in the 4 majors). I would like to start with a lot of 50% of the set or better, consistant grades across the board (8s and preferably 9s), and finishable. Anybody have something they have lost interest in? I would like to stay in the $1000 range, but if we are talking a nice vintage set I could offer the 1978 set in trade. Been looking on ebay, see a couple items, but it all depends on where they end $$ wise. LMK if you have something before I get bored.
  • Options
    augustamanaugustaman Posts: 583 ✭✭
    Gameused -

Can't offer any 50% complete sets but have a few that
    would certainly get you on your way (all baseball):

1973 Topps - 22% complete, all PSA 8
    1974 Topps - 13% complete, all PSA 8
    1982 Donruss - 10% complete, all PSA 9 and almost all star cards (including Ripken)

Will sell or trade.

Bill
    wpkoughan@yahoo.com
    Collecting 1970-1979 PSA 9 & 10 Baseball Cards
  • Options

<< <i>So - just out of curiosity - do you pick anything up that stays permanently in your hands? >>

Not yet. I aways strive for something bigger and better. Had Bourque, Messier, Gretzky rookies, but never an Orr. Had Bird/Magic, Jordan etc, but never a Russell etc.
    Everything that I've had can be replaced, some stuff like an Orr rookie cannot easily be replaced when you are talking about a PSA 8 or better. Until I find the item that "does" it for me I will just continue to drift around looking.
  • Options
    Hey Bill, I think most of those 74s used to be mine. I have 500+ that I sold to you a few years ago, mostly 8s with some 9s. Truthfully the sets that you have now aren't nearly as complete as I'd like. I really don't feel like chasing 400-500 cards right now. I've done the 74s before, and I don't want to get into the 80s in baseball. Thanks for letting me know what is out there though, that is how I usually begin projects. Now if someone has a 70s football set half done, 8s and 9s I'd be interested (anything but the 78s, too ugly).
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Congrats!

Don't tell softparade because I think it took him forever to complete that set.

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Congrats!

Don't tell softparade because I think it took him forever to complete that set.

image >>

That is because I was dumb enough to crack endless packs and submit many many cards myself that I DEEMED worthy of the respective grades. Buying 75 % of the set up front is completely opposite of the way I collect. Not that there is anything wrong with that! image

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240