Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Heres why I don't use PSA anymore

Ive been a strong collector of the 1971 Topps Football set for many years.
I became very fustrated after submitting many razor sharp cards to psa, including a lot nicer
Joe Greene rookie than this, Only to get the grader of death on this condition sensitive set.
There is no way that is a NM-M 8 card with corners like that and dings on the side, as well as the tilt and snow.
The Greene Rookie I sent was alot nicer than this and came back a 6.

It was a tough choice, but the more I see things like this the more I know I made the right
choice to cross my set out of PSA holders.

Comments

• theczartheczar Posts: 1,590 ✭✭
    judging from the font on that card it was graded long ago.

things change.

people make mistakes.

the likelihood that the person who graded that card is still at PSA is low.

have a great day.

p.s. your little collage/man crush of 1972 cowboys is way top big for this board. at 562 X 249 it exceeds board limits for public standards of decency. get it resized or i am sure miss carol will do it for you. with the title of your thread i am doubt you will get any mercy from her.
  • StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    I think that flip is about a 2nd or 3rd gen, I will not buy cards in these flips 99% of the time. It is the only flip with the rounded corners and it must have been during a period of relaxed grading standards?? I have seen a lot of cards that appear undergraded with these flips.
  • fandangofandango Posts: 2,622
    thats first generation....some people believe these old holders starting with a "0" are a little overgraded.....well, they went 180 from that as of today, they have the toughest standard yet!
  • StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

<< <i>thats first generation....some people believe these old holders starting with a "0" are a little overgraded.....well, they went 180 from that as of today, they have the toughest standard yet! >>

First generation are the flips that had the zeros with the slash through them, these came after. I believe.
  • carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭✭
    bigred,
    Your are correct. Some folks have too much money tied up in slabs to see admit it.

I have seem even poorer examples graded recently (I posted them).

buy the card not the holder..then why buy graded cards at all....

Loves me some shiny!
  • GOODLIEUGOODLIEU Posts: 629 ✭✭
    SGC had similar issues with their early slabs. I think quality control at all the major grading services has tightened up considerably over the last few years. This is primarily due to competeing for customers which ultimatly helps us the collectors. None of these services are perfect and even today things get misgraded but it has gotten better IMO.