Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1959 Venezuela Topps on the registry as of Friday

Cosetta set this up for me last Friday. It is a fun set to collect but the cards are very rare and difficult to find. Anyway, it is a fun collecting endeavor and I thought that I would disclose the fact that this set is on the registry now. Please join me on this set if you have any cards graded.

Don

1959 Venezuela Topps Registry Set
Don

Collect primarily 1959-1963 Topps Baseball
set registry id Don Johnson Collection
ebay id truecollector14

Comments

• Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Don--You and those great 1959s,,,good stuff
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    Your collection of 59s is The Number Two Current Finest Set...

http://www.sgccardregistry.com/set.aspx?cat=1&set=747&userset=1705

• Options
    marinermariner Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    That is a great looking set on the SGC registry.....is it yours?
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    fandangofandango Posts: 2,622
    goodluck! dont you love IMPOSSIBLE sets!
  • Options
    fandango....

I do love them plus these are '59's, my passion. I don't think I will live long enough to ever complete this one but it will be fun trying......you know, the thrill of the chase.
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    You will just have to live longer Don. I am in favor of that
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    Thanks, Al! I am in favor of that too!
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    Don-

It's cool to see another person excited about the 59 Venezuelan set. My PSA membership recently expired, but I believe there will soon be (or already is) a new #1 all-time graded set. Josh Alpert has about 85% of the set complete, a lot of the cards in incredible shape for Vens. He also owns TWO Mantles. A while ago, he mentioned to me that he'd eventually be submitting his set to PSA for grading.

I'm also a '59 buff (although my US set doesn't come close to the quality that you've assembled). Do you also collect the 'oddball' items from that year (error cards, dealer panels, etc)?

Al
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    These sets are much more fun to put together than people think. You have to worry more about finding the card than what it grades. I think that is why beater T and E sets are so popular (size is also a reason) because you can put one together with reasonable eye appeal and not kill yourself with grading fees.

Trying to put together a PSA 9/10 70's to modern set would kill someone trying to do it through submissions themself, having to constantly regrade trying to hit the number they want.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    Al....

Yes, I know Josh. We did a trade not long ago. He told me that he is submitting his cards to PSA but that he was hoping for some sort of special. I don't know if he has gone ahead and submitted them yet but he has not registered them on the PSA registry yet. I do have all the errors in the regular 1959 set. My Master Set is complete on the registry as well with all the errors/variations in PSA 8. The Hanebrink No Trade card is impossible and I have it in an 8. The only thing to complete my regular set that I would like to have is a salesman panel. I do not have any of those. Any idea where I can find one?

Morgoth....

What you say is dead on. This is a fun set and the only goal is to just try to find the cards. Condition is not an issue. I have PSA 1's in my set and I even have a PSA 1 with a qualifier. LOL....it can't get any lower than that! I totally agree that it is a blast just to try to find the cards.....condition is irrelevant.

Thanks for the comments.
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    What the heck.....I will throw a little spam on here....it seems appropriate.

I have two '59 Venezuela Phillies team cards....a PSA 4 in my set and also a PSA 1. I decided to put the PSA 1 on ebay to see what it would do. The auction for it ends Sunday night, June 15. Pls check it out.

1959 Venezuela Topps #8 Phillies Team PSA 1
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    Don-

Your PSA 8 Hanebrink No Trade card is as good as it gets... wow. Not to mention your Dickson, Rice, Shantz, Pena, Mathews, Pierce AS, etc... sweet.

I collect the whole gamut of 1959 Topps baseball, although I'm far from a graded master set. I have several single salesman panel end cards (the "sample" card, most often with the Kluszewski back) and three complete salesman panels. I've also found two regular issue series 4 cards with the wrong backs printed on them (e.g. Senators team front w/ Labine back), and two insert cards (team pennant offer). And, of course, the '59 Venezuelans.

Alex
  • Options
    Thanks, Alex, for the compliments.

Would you be willing to sell one of your salesman panels?
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    The one Venezuelan set I don't even have a type card from yet, and you're trying to build registry competition and raise the prices I'm going to have to pay. Arrrrrgh. image

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    Nick.....LOL!
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    Hey Don-

I'd definitely be open to discussing a deal for a sample panel (romashkowi@yahoo.com). I've been holding on to my oddball stuff pretty tightly, though, as I suspect that the next wave in baseball card collecting/investing is going to target these true rarities. For example, with the 59 Venezuelan cards, I don't think the POP on any of the individual cards in the set will ever even reach the number of graded T206 Wagners that already exist. As you know, with respect to the sample panels, the distributors and shop owners who recieved them treated them as promotional 'junk mail,' so to speak, so most of them were thrown away. The ones that were kept were often cut into individual cards. Anyway, I suspect that the future market will eventually get too rich for me, so I've been enjoying building my collection of goofball cards before this happens.

Alex

• Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    Hey your PSA 1 Philly team card would of graded alot higher if that mouse hadn't had lunch with that corner image Still nice eye appeal for a 1.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    Alex....

email just sent.

Morgoth....

Yes, it definitely looks like a munch off of the corner....lol!
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    I just want to acknowledge Alex for selling me one of his 1959 Topps salesman panels. I know it was very difficult for him to part with one of them but he did so out of respect for a fellow 1959 collector and to top off my '59 collection with this beauty. It was a very classy thing to do and he did it to help out my collection. Thank you, Alex....I truly appreciate it.
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    Thanks for the kind words Don. Hope you keep your '59 set together for years to come.