Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Finally finished proof JFK set!

Yeah! Woo-hoo! Yes! Wow, I need to sit down now. I have mixed emotions - super happy to be done but sad at the same time because the hunt is over. Big break first to let the bank account recover, upgrades to follow.

Here's my proof JFK set

Comments

• Options
    rkfishrkfish Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭
    Scott,

Congratulations! Very impressive set! I understand the emotions completely but theres always the "hunt" for the upgrades!
    Steve

Check out my PQ selection of Morgan & Peace Dollars, and more at:
    WWW.PQDOLLARS.COM or WWW.GILBERTCOINS.COM
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Scott,

A beautiful, tough set! I hope you'll take a few minutes to prop your feet up, look at it and savor it. I had a good time here, looking it over.

You ever think about putting pics up? I'd like to see some of those DCAMs!

• Options
    Scott:
    Congratulations for finishing your Kennedy Proof set in the top 5! I have been struggling to stay in the top 15 with my set. I am short one coin of finishing in the top 15. I started this set over a year ago and at this point, I just want to get it completed! Then I will consider upgrades. It is quite a long set and diffinitely has it's challenges.

My Registry Set:
    http://www.pcgs.com/new_set_registry/display_coins.chtml?regsetid=2117&alltime=yes
    I have never seen a Peace Dollar that I did not like!!
  • Options
    Scott;
    Nice set (even if it did knock me down a notch)! guess I'm destined to get bumped out of the top 5 until I change my attitude toward PR70's (my attitude being that they are too expensive to warrant the delta from a PR69). I am particularly impressed by the 100% DCAM rating---I haven't been able to find three or four of them in DCAM.

There are several almost complete sets lurking with a bunch of PR70's, but they are missing a couple coins---they'll push both you and me down once they complete.

Pete (tied for number 5, for the moment anyway)
  • Options
    Scott, Congradulations. Great set and accomplishment.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    PhillyJoePhillyJoe Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭✭
    Very nice set. I collect those proofs also but the competition is unbelievable. Great accomplishment!
    The Philadelphia Mint: making coins since 1792. We make money by making money. Now in our 225th year thanks to no competition. image
  • Options
    Thanks everybody! Although I am in the top five right now, there are at least five better sets that are just one or two coins away from completion. These are the true stellar sets - mostly PR70DCAM's with the highest know SMS coins. They seem to be missing just the 2000/2001 coins - maybe they are holding out for 70's rather than 100% complete. I also think the 70 price premiums are too steep right now (see my sig below image). The few 70DC that I have were bought for fair prices, but at least one I paid way too much for (what was I thinking?!?).

I'm not sure where I go next. Almost any upgrade is a huge jump in price. Most of my sets are PR69DC's so you know what I mean. I saw two separate 50c Washington Comms on Teletrade in PR70DC go for $2K-3K each. I own a 69DC and recently paid $19. Can you say ABSURD PRICE PREMIUM?

I do have a proof set run from 1968 to present. Maybe I'll search for submission candidates. I also have a "to be resubmitted" box of coins - just missed 69DCAM upgrade candidates, hazed/poorly toned coins scheduled for MS70/dip, badly scratched holders, loose coins in holders (those $5 modern gold eagles are just so tiny, they move all around in the holder), green labels, pre-DCAM notations, etc. Time to get a batch together for submission.

Lastly, I must say, that although my favorite coin is a proof coin, well struck, with thick caked on frost and deep black mirrored fields, the one slabbed coin I own that I will never sell is a run of the mill 1902-O MS64 Morgan with heavy bag marks. My grandfather gave me that coin as a kid - priceless. image
  • Options
    Congrats, Scott! It always feels great to complete a set. There is a lot of coins in that Kennedy proof set!

Ken