Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What's The Longest You've Ever Waited For Payment ... That You Ultimately Received?

What's the longest you have ever waited for payment that you ultimately did receive? I had an auction that ended on March 2, 2008. I finally received payment yesterday on April 10, 2008. Is that a long time? I think so. But I'm sure people have waited longer. Just curious. Thanks.

/s/ JackWESQ

Comments

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    That Lenny guy would have negged him by March 3rd or 4th!
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    Reminds me of an email I got yesterday. It was from the attorney representing an adversary in a probate case that has been draging on for a few years. Good reminder for everybody to get a living trust! Anyway, the email was in response to an email I sent him which was dated March 5th or so. The email from the attorney said that the two days I suggest for hearings are Sunday's. Hmmmmmmm, strange I would be off on my calendaring!?!? I then looked lower at my email to him suggesting those dates... I sent him the email March 5, 2007 and he was finally getting around to responding! So the dates I suggested were Friday's last year when I sent the email! I was wondering has the email been sitting in his inbox for a year?
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In 1985 the Army started a program called "Save Pay."

It was designed to protect people getting credit for professional schools so that when the pay system changes, they don't get penalized.

Well, I figured under the program, they owed me like 3K per yr at that point on.

It wasn't until 1990 that I got it cleared up. Yes, 5 yrs to get paid!!!!!!

It was a bandmate of mine who fixed it - I took the entire band out for a dinner that lasted for 8 hrs!!!

I'm still hungover!
    Mike
  • Options
    gumbyfangumbyfan Posts: 5,159
    I have a stringent 24 hour pay policy. If you haven't paid within 5 hours of winning the auction, I try to send a payment reminder through eBay, but they won't let me. Then, 12 hours after the auction ends, I email the buyer telling them that their payment is late. If they haven't paid in 24 hours, I neg and relist.

I sell graded cards for $2 each.

• Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    About six-weeks.

It can happen mostly in the summer when folks go on vacation and forget to
    settle their EBAY accounts before they leave.

Since 1999, I have filed fewer than 5 NPBs in collectible categories. In fashion
    and electronics, I file about 6+ a month; most of those pay, eventually. I wait
    about 30-days to file an NPB.

I never leave NEGs in the collectible categories. Rarely, I have left NEGs in
    fashion/electronics, BUT only if the people are really nasty to me, OR try to
    switch merch on fraudulent returns.

(I have a seller's mark on everything I sell. No one could EVER find it. It
    prevents the old switcheroo.)

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options

<< <i>I have a stringent 24 hour pay policy. If you haven't paid within 5 hours of winning the auction, I try to send a payment reminder through eBay, but they won't let me. Then, 12 hours after the auction ends, I email the buyer telling them that their payment is late. If they haven't paid in 24 hours, I neg and relist.

image >>

Why do you tell them their payment is late after 12 hours when you have a "stringent" 24 hour pay policy? 12 hours<24 hours. You'd get a neg from me just for being a [insert word here]. Doesn't E-bay require 72 hours minimum?
  • Options
    Oh, I've never received payment that late but I have received a stack of mail that was 18 months old. There was nothing important in it but I found it funny that the post office still had it. I have this image in my mind of some post office employee trying to find that specific box that he lost 18 months ago.
  • Options
    JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
    Not nearly as long as my previous post. But I had an auction that ended on October 5, 2008 and I just received payment today on October 21, 2008. The buyer had some Paypal "complications."

/s/ JackWESQ
  • Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    i have a guy in poland that usually takes a bout a month and half or so to pay,hes bout thousands of $ worth f military stuff though, so i can deal with that, i just send em all out new invoices everyday till i drive em nuts if they sit here a wile and pile up on meimage
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    3 weeks was the longest I ever waited.

Once.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I have a stringent 24 hour pay policy. If you haven't paid within 5 hours of winning the auction, I try to send a payment reminder through eBay, but they won't let me. Then, 12 hours after the auction ends, I email the buyer telling them that their payment is late. If they haven't paid in 24 hours, I neg and relist.

image >>

Why do you tell them their payment is late after 12 hours when you have a "stringent" 24 hour pay policy? 12 hours<24 hours. You'd get a neg from me just for being a [insert word here]. Doesn't E-bay require 72 hours minimum? >>

That was a spoof on a former? forum member. Well done, as you got someone to bite.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    For an eBay auction, who can remember. In business, some transactions can go years.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    this is a great thread.

I hope to deal with you someday JackWESQ, and Rube.
  • Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    best thred ever trentimage
  • Options
    JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
    Dear nightcrawler,

If the lines of communication are open and an reasonable explanation is given for the delay in payment, I will essentially wait as long as it takes to receive payment. The most recent buyer said his Paypal account was hijacked and I believed him. He ultimately paid after setting up a new account with his wife's information.

/s/ JackWESQ
  • Options
    about give or take 5 to 10 days about 175 days, on ebay the longest is 62 days. I was happy both times when I got paid cuz it was crap that I would have burned . Heh Heh image PS :::::::: drunk again
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

Not a payment story,but>>>>>>>>> In 1977 OR 78' i sent a letter to Jack Lord (Hawaii Five O) for a auto as i used to collect "legit" autos from movie stars. Recieved card in mail Summer of 82'. I had completely forgotten about the letter i had sent him. One day while on leave from the Army i went to the mailbox and there was an envelope with a postcard photo inside of him signed, and a short letter apologizing for the delay.
  • Options
    I went to Hawaii in 78, funny how my memories from there are exactly the way things were on Hawaii Five O, lol.
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    Even though I am a buyer/consumer advocate, it would be better and fair that payments were made instantly via paypal account. Soon as an auction was won, the winning bidder had the money pulled from the account and given to seller. Waiting for payment or waiting for checks to clear must be a huge hassle for the seller. Also, wondering if a buyer will ever pay is torture. This way, only bidders that have an active and ready paypal account could win an auction. I am sure sellers would love this and for the buyer, the only draw back I can see is if they did not have enough money on the checking account if their paypal was linked to that (I wonder if instant payment can even work.....) A system would have to be in place that with every bid, a buyer account is checked for available funds too.

"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

image >>

Why do you tell them their payment is late after 12 hours when you have a "stringent" 24 hour pay policy? 12 hours<24 hours. You'd get a neg from me just for being a [insert word here]. Doesn't E-bay require 72 hours minimum? >>

That was a spoof on a former? forum member. Well done, as you got someone to bite. >>

Seriously - even with the s--t eating grin added.
  • Options
    PoppaJPoppaJ Posts: 2,818

<< <i>Even though I am a buyer/consumer advocate, it would be better and fair that payments were made instantly via paypal account. Soon as an auction was won, the winning bidder had the money pulled from the account and given to seller. Waiting for payment or waiting for checks to clear must be a huge hassle for the seller. Also, wondering if a buyer will ever pay is torture. This way, only bidders that have an active and ready paypal account could win an auction. I am sure sellers would love this and for the buyer, the only draw back I can see is if they did not have enough money on the checking account if their paypal was linked to that (I wonder if instant payment can even work.....) A system would have to be in place that with every bid, a buyer account is checked for available funds too. >>

Though eBay already has the option for "Immediate Payment" via PayPal, I can see eBay going to this method exclusively down the road.

A PayPal rep told me the other day that they have become swamped with "Pending" payments since the inception of non-paper payments.

PayPal eChecks have erupted and payment holds have gone wild.

On the flip side, I can see many buyers without immediate funds turning away from an otherwise sale, unless of course they could still use eCheck as payment.

Though we've received a higher-than-before number of eChecks ourselves lately, all of them have cleared successfully, so it's not really a
    hassle so to speak, at least for us.

PoppaJ

• Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    Conversly speaking,

i waited over a month to pay $350 for a psa 8 '69 topps wl variation gaylord perry, but seller was cool & i simply didn't have that much cash at the time.

(+) feedback left on both sides afterwards, but i did let him know i really wanted card but couldn't pay him for a minute, but he was fortunately, a non-hater.

J
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    Good day,
    Have a guy in Germany, buy's $20 dollars worth of cards about once a month, sends payment plus Extra $20 for shipping every time, It takes about 2 months for me to get the payment every time. I have been doing this with the guy for three years now. I tried several times to tell him to stop sending $20 for shipping (Actually shipping is always less than $5), he won't listen, keeps doing it, so about every third time I stick a $20 in with his cards and send it back to him.
    Neil
    Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!