Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

So.. if 8.5s = Old Label 8s then New Label 8s = Old 7s?

Standard IF/THEN statement that explains the rash of dogs coming from the Newport kennel....

Loves me some shiny!

Comments

• Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    Give that it was graded on the half point scale, I find it hard to accept that card in an 8.0 under any circumstances. Even if that lower left corner is square, that card, at best, is a 7.5 if I submit it.
  • Options
    During the past 8+ years I've sent in at least 5 submissions per year (50 or more cards per submission) and noticed ups and downs with PSA's grading..........tough grading at times and loose grading at times. However, the cards I've bought and had graded in the past 3 or 4 months are on average not stacking up by grade with previous ones I've purchased or had graded. I don't know if it has anything to do with the half grades or possibly new graders, but the standards seem to have been lowered lately. I've noticed this mainly in the 8s. I've gotten plenty of 8s that belong in 7 or even 6 holders when comparing them to cards in my collection from past years. I know plenty of people will say buy the card, not the holder, but scans don't always do a card justice. There is definitely a difference between a low 8 and a high 8, that's understandable. But when I can take a 6 and an 8 of the same card and say the 6 looks better than the 8, there is a problem. PSA is a service and I expect them to keep certain standards and lately this hasn't been the case in a number of my experiences.
  • Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    I don't know about that statement , I can show you my new label 8's that look like 9's and many should be including straight out of the pack, into a card save r and off to psa centered 50's and 60's cards. I have found the grading absolutely tough the last few months and am holding on to several submissions
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    Check out the PSA 8 Nitschke rc that 4SC has on the Bay now. It's an absolute dog centering wise. Maybe PSA has relaxed it's centering requirements for an 8...I really don't know.

Rgs,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options
    cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    As some of you know, I've slammed PSA in the past with some of my posts here when I felt their grading was out of whack. In fact, I got booted from these boards for doing just that in late Jan. I was reinstated by 'good girl' Carol a while ago. So with that in mind.......

Similar to vintagegolfcards, I've been submitting cards to PSA for over 10 years. I typically grade 2000-4000 cards per year now and I've seen cycles occur with the grading too. Sometimes it's very accurate, other times not as much.

I haven't purchased any 8.5's yet and don't plan on it, but I'd have to take the middle ground on the latest PSA grading. I've only had one sub pop since the half grade roll out and I would say it was graded very accurately in my opinion. It was a 134 cards, mostly 1970's cards, and I thought it was graded 95% right on the money. I had a few that I felt were maybe undergraded, and at least three cards that were overgraded. So in essence, it was a wash. A 95% accuracy, in my opinion, is what I hope for from a grading company. If I'm receiving those accuracy percentages, I have no complaints.

Although it was strange I didn't receive a single 7.5 or 8.5 in the mix on my last sub. I did receive a few 10's, and quite a few 9's.

So it's hard to say. I agree, that Fritsch 8 doesn't look that hot, but I've also purchased some 8's on ebay recently that looked like 9's from the 1960's (football) to contrast that.

I think you still have to look at each card individually and decide if the grade PSA assigned it, matches your own grading criteria. If it does, you try to buy that card. If it doesn't, you move on to the next auction.

Rich
  • Options
    1960toppsguy1960toppsguy Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    Is there anything in life that is consistent when you deal with humans being subjective? Of course not, never will be. Soon there will be a computerized grading company that will arrive and change the hobby as it is known today.image
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Each card is different.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>Is there anything in life that is consistent when you deal with humans being subjective? Of course not, never will be. Soon there will be a computerized grading company that will arrive and change the hobby as it is known today.image >>

I've heard this proposed many times in the past decade. I've even seen it attempted to an extent. But while a theoretical possibility, it is a logistical impossibility. The variances of acceptability and standards given to card stock, print characteristics, registration, gloss, size, and border/image attributes to all of the multitude of issues over the past 120 years would make designing such a program and its effective utilization a complete nightmare.

I'm sorry, but subjective analysis, with controlled standards, is the most effective and ultimately, the most consistent form of grading.
  • Options
    It is in the works and will not be too long before it is introduced and changes the world of grading as we all have come to know it . . . like it or not.image
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    CTA used computer technology to grade. I've seen some klunkers and some good ones. I once had a CTA 8.5 Griffey UD RC cross to a PSA 10 - so who knows?
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options

<< <i>It is in the works and will not be too long before it is introduced and changes the world of grading as we all have come to know it . . . like it or not.image >>

Hey, if there's a way to do it, I'm all for it. But I'll remain the skeptic based upon the concerns and conditions that I stated previously.
  • Options
    It is coming, trust me, and it will be on a big time scale.
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Check out the PSA 8 Nitschke rc that 4SC has on the Bay now. It's an absolute dog centering wise. Maybe PSA has relaxed it's centering requirements for an 8...I really don't know.

Rgs,

Greg M. >>

Wow that one is on the edge of OC there!?

• Options
    I can guarantee you that if computer grading starts...you will NOT be happy with it.

They tried it in the early 1990's with coins.......it failed miserably....everything was blatantly UNDERGRADED!

The computer could NOT grade coins that were toned, so, quite frankly, I don't see how cards would be ANY different
    with the multitudes of colors involved!

Just my humble opinion.

• Options

<< <i>It is coming, trust me, and it will be on a big time scale. >>

Momma always said, "Never trust someone who says, 'Trust me.'" image
  • Options
    Not my Mom . . . .
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>Check out the PSA 8 Nitschke rc that 4SC has on the Bay now. It's an absolute dog centering wise. Maybe PSA has relaxed it's centering requirements for an 8...I really don't know. >>

Centering both ways is a little better than 35/65. Minimum centering requirement for a PSA 8 is 70/30, so this is within the scope of a PSA 8.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    The day that computerized grading arrives is the day that I stop grading cards. And I can guarantee you that many national dealers and big time submitters would echo that sentiment.

Ron
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    The only version of "computerized" grading that will work would be akin to what I had outlined in another thread several months back. And it's nothing more than a byproduct of compilation of subjective human input, albeit very detailed input.

I still think anyone that suggests that a card will be able to be scanned and the computer will spit out a grade hasn't thought the process through. The most glaring cause for concern would be that to allow for the variables of variance of card size within a specific standard would provide tolerances that would be hard pressed to detect trimming that fell within the standard. Heck, how would this super computer grading system account for the varying degrees of rough cut on OPC cards? Do the rough Philly football cuts get nailed, too?

There are way too many variables to have a computer program written to grade a wide range of sportscards. Without human input, the poor programmer will be doing nothing more than updating the program for every issue that comes up and then have to figure out how to override that application as it would conflict with a previous application.

Go ahead. Tell me that fully computerized, non-human intervention grading is about to be rolled out and will revolutionize the industry. I wish you them luck. Thank goodness I'm not one of the investors!