Home Coin Swaps, Tags and Giveaways

Virtual TAG starting April 20th. Please read & reply or PM if interested.

Last tag had me again thinking on how to make it better, at least IMO.
I never put into action the though I had a while back on a ‘Virtual Tag’.

How this would work is that all the members who sigh-up will send me a list of coins available for the Tag via PM.
On a specific date the Tag participation will be ‘closed’ & I will list the coins entered into the Virtual Tag. The list provided can be adjusted until the close of participation.
These coins are now in the virtual tag and cannot be sold or traded outside the tag.
But at least they are out there for display, allowing you to take offers if you don’t use them in the tag.
Not listing the coins until the close of enrollment will deter any deals from made before the tag being officially open.
I promise to reframe from doing the same.

I will then list the coins on the original (or new) post so that those involved in the tag don’t have to search the pages to see what’s available.
If there is enough participation I may make links by denomination. There will be the owners name followed by coins available from that member

No limitations on TPG or raw because the tag/swap/trade would be among members.
Just be considerate on the number of coins, nobody wants to search through 1,000’s of coins.
Once a deal has been struck it is PM’ed to me AND replied to the thread.
I will edit the original post to list the coins to their the new owner with the original owner in parenthesis.

The new virtual owner can use that coin in other deals, the ‘original owner’ tag always follows the coin.

After the pre-determined amount of time has expired (a month?) the tag closes.
All the coins involved in the tag are shipped to me, or anyone agreed upon, along with some $ ($5?) so that they can be sorted out, packaged up & sent out.

I think the benefits of this type of tag are:
    Everything is available, not just what the OP wants to accept. Someone might want that low value coin, & has a low value coin to tag. Everyone deals with everyone else basically one-on-one.
    Reduced shipping. There are times when we see a coin or 2 that we’d like, but the value of these coins are well under $100. If shipping is $25+, how much sense is there in asking for the tag? But keeping the shipping cost to $10-$15, this makes more sense, plus the increase variety and flexibility will allow you to determine if making a tag is really worth it or not.
    Guaranteed tag. Because the distributor will wait until all the coins involved in a trade are accounted for there is no chance of you sending out a coin & not getting any back.
The Risk?
    Obviously if the member receiving all the coins for redistribution keeps the coins, THAT would be a risk. I know that wouldn’t happen if I did the distribution, but am also confident that other regulars are trusted.
    Mail delivery. But no more of a risk than with any other mail delivery.Mailing from original owner to distributor is the responsibility of the original owner.From distributor to final owner is the responsibility of the distributor, so mailing will include insurance & delivery confirmation (minimum).
Anybody interested in this type of a tag?

Comments

• slipgateslipgate Posts: 2,301 ✭✭
    This sounds good!

I suggest each person should photograph and post each coin they are interested in swapping. I also think it would be ok just to ship the coin to whoever wants it rather than shipping to you first. I don't really have a problem with this, it just seems like an extra step. Maybe make that optional?
    My Registry Sets! PCGS Registry
  • ajiaajia Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭
    Whatever is the concensus on shipping.

I am just thinking that if enough members join & enough 'tags' are made, would you want to ship to, say, 5 or 6 members @ $5+ each shipment? Maybe so. Maybe not.
    The amount of shipping a single high value Tag is one reason I thought of this option.
    The other thing to remember is if a central distributor is used, there is no concern about the other member not sending you the package.

This is a work in progress.

I thought of photo's, but thought that it would make the post very large to show an image of every coin.
    I would suggest instead that before a tag is made between members picts should be exchanged.
    Another benefit is that there are times when there is a (are) coin(s) in the Tag that you really want & so you ask for the 'box', only to find out that the owner also wants the coin(s).

Though that may still be the case here, someone makes a 'Tag' for a coin they want/need, and are not willing to let it go, at least you're not stuck with the box & looking at $25+ shipment for nothing (other than maybe making a low value Tag so you don't feel so bad).
  • Lets see if I have this straight,

I have 5 PCGS FBL Frankies I want to use.

You Ajia say you are interested in 2 of the dates I list.
    Slipgate says he is interested in 1 of the dates, NOT the same as the ones you asked about. So I send pics of the coins you say you want. And we work out swaps between the 3 of us.

I don't see any problem with this, BUT... What if Boom wants the same dates YOU want, or 1 of yours and the 1 Slipgate wants?

NOW you guys have to duke it out, and try to out swap eachother for my coins? OR WHAT???

Paul
    (Old man) Look I had a lovely supper, and all I said to my wife was, “That piece of halibut was good enough for Jehovah”.

(Priest) BLASPHEMY he said it again, did you hear him?
    Paul,

It would depend on how you would like to handle it.
    Would you go with the first offers presented by all of the participants?
    Or would you let all of the participants know someone else is interested & try to get a bidding war going?

I'll tell you right now that if you think there aren't 'back room' PM's going on with Tags you're mistaken.
    So, why not bring it out in the open.

If, in this scenario, you decide to use the original offers, then you tell the 'loser', sorry got a better deal from 'XX'.
    You might as well tell them who 'won' as the coin will be moved over to the new owner's list, followed by a (from lonelyp).
    This (from lonelyp) follows the coin where ever it ends up with.

Ultimately someone will drop out of the bidding war if you go that route.

BUT the coin is still in the Tag.
    If the member that lost out may decide in a week (if the Tag is still going) that he would like to sweeten the Tag proposal, he can try to make a deal with the new owner (Using the coins listed in his Tag list). The new owner may decide he does not want to part with it at any price, or he might.

Does that make sense?

Augie

• << <i>Does that make sense? >>

Yes, Thanks for the clairfication.

Also I wasn't thinking of Boom saying he was interested AFTER a deal had already been made.

But having more than one participant wanting the same coin, with the standard TAG it would be whoever gets the box first, after me of course.

I would be more than willing to give this type of TAG a try.

(Old man) Look I had a lovely supper, and all I said to my wife was, “That piece of halibut was good enough for Jehovah”.

• oxy8890oxy8890 Posts: 1,416
    Augie,

I'm in if your ok with me.
    Best Regards,

Rob

"Those guys weren't Fathers they were...Mothers."

Rob,

Another great thing about this type of 'Tag' is that no one is putting a $3000 package together & having to do FBI checks on all involved.
    Everyone is welcome to participate.
    Whether or not another member trusts you enough to 'Tag' with you is another question.
    Rob, I think you'll be A-OK on that.

So, I believe including me we're up to four.

I am going to write out the 'rules', start this on the 20th & go for 1 month as to not interfere with TC1 next Tag.
  • oxy8890oxy8890 Posts: 1,416
    Sounds great count me in!image
    Best Regards,

Rob

"Those guys weren't Fathers they were...Mothers."

Members interested in participating so far:

ajia
    slipgate
    lonelyp
    oxy8890

'Rules' are still up for discussion, but the general idea for this 'Tag' is listed.
    Shipping can be determined before start of 'Tag', or decided near the end.
    Trying to keep shipping as economical as possible.

• One more question from me.

Should we keep this Certified coins only(PCGS, NGC, ANACS), or all coins welcome?

Personally I wouldn't mind RAW. I'm looking for FSB mercs for a new album with plenty of room. But it makes assigning values more difficult, for me anyway.

The 5 FBL Frankies mentioned earlier was an example only. So I need to pick some coins to list.

• eyoung429eyoung429 Posts: 6,374
    I am willing to give this one a try!
    This is a very dumb ass thread. - Laura Sperber - Tuesday January 09, 2007 11:16 AM image

Hell, I don't need to exercise.....I get enough just pushing my luck.
    Think of this as a open trading experiment.

For 1 month the members that join in have the opportunity to trade coins back & forth within the Tag moniker.
    Raw, or certified, it does not matter.

I am only thinking that to keep things consistent, the coins listed should stay in the Tag until finished.
    Again, this is open for discussion for another week or so.
    Obviously once a coin is 'tagged', then for sure that coin has to stay in the 'Tag'.
    I personally don't think a coin, once in the Tag should be removed because this opens up the possibility that another member just lurks at the Tag & tries to make a deal on the ones he wants.

I trust the members that join in will not entertain offers on the coins listed from outside until the Tag is over, then they can do whatever they want with the coins listed in the Tag.
  • Boy,
    My hat is off to those who take the best pics. I have a terrible problem with glare.

I know I need something better for lights. And a better stand.

Good lights & stand seem helpful.
    Good macro on the camera is also nice.
    Steady hands if there is no stand available.

Complete discription completes the 'package'