Home U.S. Coin Forum

2009 Red Book and burnished platinum eagles. Dissapointed!!

I just got this 2009 Redbook and looked at the pages for platinum bullion coins.

There are no mintage stats for any of the platinum eagles after 2005. (You'd think the mint stats for 2006 would at least be settled by now). And, amazingly there are no pics of the burnished platinum coins and no indication in the text that the burnished platinum eagles have the same reverse as the proofs in their respective years.

I'm just amazed and disappointed.
Anyone can make a difference, but most people probably shouldn't. -- Marge Simpson

Comments

• tmcsr69tmcsr69 Posts: 1,307
    They print this book far to early to be called a 2009 issue. I would like to see more yearly early and late printings rather than try to fool consumers into thinking they are getting next years stats.
    Crazy old man from Missouri
  • TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭
    Typical of the red book.....

They are always way way behind on alot of things and the platinum coins seem to be one that many publishcations are behind on.....
    Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • Thanks guys. I bought the Red Book because I have a few of those plats I wanted to sell this year, and I wanted to quote stuff from the Red Book, and there's no stuff worth quoting.
    Anyone can make a difference, but most people probably shouldn't. -- Marge Simpson
  • ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Oh well, I've always loved the stelth nature of this series. They'll be noticed in the future IMO, no biggie just more for me image
  • I agree it's ridiculous the Mint has not published the mintages. Surley they must have them by now. They also have yet to publish the Annual report for their 2007 fiscal year which ended last September!
    Never teach a pig to sing. You'll waste your time and annoy the pig image

• DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,819 ✭✭✭
    The first Red Book was published in November 1946 --- so late in the year that it was decided to give it a cover date of 1947. Since then, it has been tradition to date the cover one year ahead (similar to annual automotive guides, for example). Thus the book that comes out in 2008 is the "2009 edition."

If it helps, you can also refer to it as the 62nd edition.

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Redbook had a good thing going when they came out on July 1 every year.
    Can somebody get this through to them?????
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Have the Prices on The Marine Commem or Franklim Commes changed alot?

I also have wondered about the RFK Commem. Its listed Mintage is under 100K for the Proof.
  • I just paged through the 09 Red Book. WHAT A LET DOWN. Yes, I did note the changes about the new lincoln cents, but alot of stuff on Pres Varieties etc etc COULD HAVE BEEN MENTIONED, but were not.

Anybody else?

Die varieties are discussed in detail in the Cherrypickers' Guide. The Red Book is a general guidebook to U.S. coins.

• << <i>Die varieties are discussed in detail in the Cherrypickers' Guide. The Red Book is a general guidebook to U.S. coins. >>

WHERE can I get a copy of that?
    The Cherrypickers' Guide to Rare Die Varieties can be found online, at bookstores, in libraries, at numismatic booksellers' shops, etc. Authors are J.T. Stanton and Bill Fivaz.

• mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    Can anyone give me a list of REDBOOK Capped Bust Half Dollar varieties added for 2009? Maybe there were no changes from 2008?
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.

• << <i>The Cherrypickers' Guide to Rare Die Varieties can be found online, at bookstores, in libraries, at numismatic booksellers' shops, etc. Authors are J.T. Stanton and Bill Fivaz. >>

You da man!

You da man!

Thanks.
  • nycounselnycounsel Posts: 1,229 ✭✭
    The Redbook is always way behind... pretty sad for a publication the only purpose of which is to give mintage/price information.

Dan
  • It's worthless for moderns.

Use it to prop open doors or as a drink coaster.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file