Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Any word on Single player PSA Registry???????????

For the One player collector like myself? Down on one Knee......... Please?
x

Comments

• dudedude Posts: 1,454 ✭✭
    Don't know, but when you find out let me know. I need to register my All-Time Finest Mario Mendoza collection.
  • boggs301012,

I believe that PSA is working on making the registry available for player sets. You can send them a request for a certain player. Check the Set Registry Requests page, it already has several player sets requested, and it has a link to fill out a request form.

• NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    dude - do your cards grade above the PSA Mendoza line?

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Would the single player registry contain only the cards issued while the player was actually playing? Or would it also contain the 10's - 100's of cards issued within the past few years (for players like Mantle, Mays, Aaron, etc...)?
  • mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Jimmy-

It almost necessarily must only include playing day cards.

Nearly every major Hall of Famer (Aaron, Schmidt, Mantle, etc.) pretty much has more cards produced in the last 4 years than they did in their entire playing careers.

MS
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • boggs301012boggs301012 Posts: 1,135 ✭✭
    mikeschmidt

I do agree in must be within there perspective playing career. 3 years later and they still make Boggs cards. I am never going to catch up it seems at times with my collection. I do have my work cut out though. And it wil be interesting to see what PSA comes up with for weights. Any ideas on this? Anyone? Of course the rookies would be the most . But what about minor league cards? Are they to be included? And numbered cards? ( for the newer HOF'ers)As of late I send in what I like and I am sending in by year and buy the condition I want all 9's peppered with 10's (still need an 84 opc in mint condition ..hint, hint)2 More years for Mr. Boggs.
    x
    I think Minor League cards should be considered (though there are very few current HOF'ers that have minor league cards).

Personally, one of my favorite cards is my 1972 Puerto Rican Winter League Mike Schmidt card. One of his rarest cards to find, plus it is quite cool looking!

Also, weight will work pretty directly from rookie year to current year. There may be some anomalies (1972 Topps Traded Carlton may be his third or fourth "toughest" card), but the Registry has yet to largely weight based on populations, which is a good thing. Thus, rookie year to end, from 10 to 1.

MS
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
    Ms

You have to post a scan of that card. I asume you have one if not several of the cards you mentioned.

I hope someday to be apart of the registry. I think it will help me in a direction of what to get graded. And give me some guidence and the spirited competition.
    x
    If you limit it to playing days cards, what do you do with cards featuring the player as a manager/coach (e.g., Ted Williams, Frank Robinson, Yogi Berra, Eddie Mathews). Also, do we really want to exclude the Play Ball and Leaf cards of retired superstars like Babe Ruth - or even, from a more modern day, the '61 Topps great moments and MVPs subsets or the '62 Topps Ruth subset. Besides, what do you about special cards, such as checklist cards with a player photo, all-star cards, league leader cards, highlights cards, and multi-player cards? Oh yes, there's also the question of what nonmainstream cards to add in. Any Koufax collectors here want to discus whether the Morrell Meats and Bell Brand cards should count?
    IMO, the player registries are way too much work to add before all the mainstream sets that are collectible in PSA form are listed.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Single player sets should only include cards from their playing days by the major manufacturers. The whole point of the set registry is to complete the set. No one wants to complete a set just half way and say to themselves,.."ok, I'm done".

I don't know how you'd do a modern player PSA registry with these 1/1 parrallel, chrome, super atomic, game used cards. There's no way one person could ever get a complete collection. PSA should stick with vintage Hall of famers. So, if you collect Willie Mays, you just get his Bowman cards, then Topps up to '73 and that's it!! Every card listed in the SMR with "Mays" or "Willie Mays" on it is valid. Or if they really want to make it easy, just have his regular issue Topps and Bowman and Fleer cards listed. Then as an "extra" feature, they can get the combo cards, checklists, regional cards etc. That way you have a choice. Either build the best mainstream set player collection or go for a "master set".
    For a Roy Campanella player registry, should the '59 Topps Profiles in Courage card be included?

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

• I think you have to look at each player seperately and at how his cards are collected to determine how that players "set" should be listed in the registry, and I think most players should have several differnt sets to reflect the different ways that player's cards are collected.

Example - Mickey Mantle

First there should be a Master set of his playing years from 1951-1969.
    This would include all subset card, oddball cards and variations, and would be about 100 cards.

2nd- A Mantle "Short Set" of his mainsteam cards issued from 1951-1969. This would include all of his Regular Topps and Bowman cards and a few others like 1954 Red Heart and 1964 Topps Giants. (about 50 card)

3rd- A Post Playing years set that would include all of his cards issued from 1970 till 1990. This set would include mostly oddball cards and would have a cutoff date of 1990 because of the huge increase in the amount of cards produced in the early 90's and the advances in card technology. (about 100 cards)

4th - A Modern Mantle set witch would include all of the Mantle cards produced after 1990 but not cards that had very limited print runs (say under 100), and ccards that are a set themselves (like 1992 Pinnacle Mantle and the 1996 Topps Mantle reprints) (Lots of cards)

For more modern players it would be different. For some players it might be possible to build a master set of playing year cards ( for Mattingly it would be about 900 cards, for Boggs it would be about 1400 cards), but for most active players it would not be possible (Griffey already has almost 5,000 cards).

For Players like Mattingly and Boggs I think it would be alright if psa list a master set of their playing years cards, but they sould also list susets like Regular Issue Cards Only (witch wouldn't include oddball cards or insert card) For Mattingly this would include about 200 cards. For player like Mattingly and Boggs who played half of their careers in the 1980's you could have a 1980's set. For Mattingly it would be about 400 cards and for Boggs it would be about 350 cards. This would also be a great set for players like McGwire and Bonds who had a lot fewer cards issued in the 1980's then after 1990.

For someone like Griffey I don't think it would ever be possible to complete a master set so I don't think psa should list one. They could try a regular issue card only set but I don't know how many cards that would end up including. I think the best way to start out would to have an eary playing years set (1989-1991), and mayby add sets for later years as demand increases.

Minor League Cards-

I think for players that only had a few minor league cards, those cards should be included in the regular player set, but for modern players that have lots of minor league cards, they can have a seperate set for just their minor league cards.

A Final Note-

Players are collected differntly by differnt people and the registry shoud reflect that. I don't want the person who is unable to collect the 1000 or so cards for the master set to have to register and have his "complete set" sho only 20% complete, but I also want to have a place for the completionist to register his/he set.

Thanks everone for reading and good luck collecting (whatever way you like to collect)

• << <i>Also, weight will work pretty directly from rookie year to current year. There may be some anomalies (1972 Topps Traded Carlton may be his third or fourth "toughest" card), but the Registry has yet to largely weight based on populations, which is a good thing. Thus, rookie year to end, from 10 to 1.
    >>

Mikeschmidt,

I don't think you can just go from 10 to 1 based on year. Some cards in the middle may be much tougher than others (67 Brooks Robinson for one).

Robert

----------------------------------------
    If you can help with my 1970 Kellogg's in PSA-9, please email at rbeaton@islinc.com.
    Looking for:
    Any high grade OPC Jim Palmer
    High grade Redskins (pre 1980)
    Robert -- I did say that there were and would be some anomalies -- but not many.
    To those that dont care for the idea of A registry for one particular player. As many can tell by my screen name I collect Wade Boggs cards among other items. I cannot justify getting a "common" card graded or some player I could give 2 cents about. For example a 1983 Sid Bream ( I mention 83 it was my first set). It does nothing for me. But A Wade Boggs isnt a common and he was one of my times greatest pure hitters. Granted I wont ever be able to make money infact I will lose alot of money for a plastic holder.And I would like to be able to participate among the other Registry members. And a little friendly competition with other Boggs collectors. I look forward to that. I ask this ..be honest isnt it fun / exciting adding your cards to the Registry and moving up the best list? And beating a fellow collector on owning a graded example of a certain card ? I want the same thrill. Anyway just spouting a little and I was Pm'ed asking why in the hell I would waste money On Boggs Psa cards.
    x