Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

An Ike lovers Dream and a question for the Ike Group

I stopped by my B&M shop and my dealer is so cool. He just got back from a show and let me sift through one of his lastest pick ups. 11 rolls of Ikes. I was like a kid in a candy store. Even though there were no 72 type II's, or even a 71-D FEV I still had a blast. I did find two 1971 P Ikes that might go as high as 65. He also had five 71 blue packs in the orginal mint evelope. I love my B&M man. I also had in my hands on a Mint Box of 7 1971-S brown boxes. All seven of the Ike's appeared to be FPL's and the post mark date of the box was December 20 1971.

Now to the Question

The post mark on the blue pack is Aug 31 1971 and the order number is 1902007348. Is there a begining month or some indicator for when Peg Leg 1971-S business strikes can be traced to. Specifically is there a range of months that produced a larger number of 1971-S BS Peg Leg Ikes?

RACC
I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom I provide, then question the manner in which I provide it. I prefer you said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand to post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to!

Comments

• Options
    Mm, isn't it great to have raw Ikes to go through! I always feel like a kid in a candy shop.

December '71 was the first month '71 Ike Proofs were minted, 1,219,990 according to Mint records published in Coin World (28 Feb 1973).

The next minting was 2,806,244 in March, 1972. Based on a number of circumstantial factors, I decided that the first batch were the Peg Legs and the March batch was the Serif-R.

In February I nuked an unopened box of 71 Ike proof sets dated December 14 1971 on Ebay. Like yours, all five were Peg Legs, how sweet that was!

Your report now seals the deal IMHO!!!! Can't thank you enough.

I'd rather not publicize the month the silver peg legs were minted, LOL, except if you PM me I'll tell you . image
    Modern dollars are like children - before you know it they'll be all grown up.....

Questions about Ikes? Go to The IKE GROUP WEB SITE
  • Options
    Hey Rob,
    There were 2,180 proof IKES made in Sept. 1971. Let's see what those look like. Anybody have any? Evidently a token coinage for Ike's October 14 birthday. (So few and so long before they made more. Why the delay? Some change required? Mysteries still abound.)
  • Options
    Herb, well said! Rob
    Modern dollars are like children - before you know it they'll be all grown up.....

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭
    I recently purchased two 5 coin boxes. One dated 24 Feb 1972 and the other dated 4 Mar 1972.

Both contained FPL Ikes and since the Mar 4 delivery was so early, it was more than likely part of the December production.

As for sorting through 11 rolls of IKE's, what a sweet way to spend an afternoon!

I recall some of the Denver shows out at the Western Stock Show complex where I was allowed to pick through trays and trays of IKE's. Unfortunately, I had no clue on what to look for so I only concentrated on bright copper bu edges. I would love to be able to sort thropugh those trays one more time!

And yes, this was in the pre-FEV days!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭
    interpretation please:

FEV
    FPL
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    FEV = Friendly Eagle Variety ( 1971-D )

FPL = Fading Peg Leg ( 1971-S Proof )
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    From 19Lyds, Master Collector

Wednesday April 09, 2008 11:06 AM

"I recently purchased two 5 coin boxes. One dated 24 Feb 1972 and the other dated 4 Mar 1972.

Both contained FPL Ikes and since the Mar 4 delivery was so early, it was more than likely part of the December production."

LEE!!! THAT'S SIMPLY TERRIFIC!!! 25 for 25 peg legs is a statistical hammer lock...

I'm bidding on a later shipment of '71 Ike Proofs: the box isn't sealed but it's being sold as original and I have no reason to doubt the seller. I expect them to be mostly or all "Funny Foot" Serif-R Proofs. Rob

• Options

<< <i>Hey Rob,
    There were 2,180 proof IKES made in Sept. 1971. Let's see what those look like. Anybody have any? >>

Does this count?

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Hey Rob,
    There were 2,180 proof IKES made in Sept. 1971. Let's see what those look like. Anybody have any? >>

Does this count?

image >>

Lee! Send that puppy to me so I can do its portrait and close-ups!

We also have the tantalyzing Bowers and Merena catalog item 4575, an '71-S Proof Ike mailed to Amon Carter, Jr. at the Fort Wayne Star-Telegramon August 10, 1971 by then Sec Treas Connally with his letter stating the enclosed Ike was a "first day's strike".

The picture is not sharp but shows a '71-S peg leg proof with a very different Y of LIBERTY (very heavy left arm) and possibly the Galvano's Earth (no distinct islands) but which otherwise seems identical to the December '71-S production peg leg proof.

There must have been solid reasons for the delay(s) in '71-S Proof production. The last delay, late December to early March was probably due to the fading peg leg, leading to the "Funny Foot" Serif-R '71-S Ike Proof produced in March '72 in sufficient volume to complete the accepted 71 Ike Proof proof orders.

It sure would be nice to get hold of one of the August "first day's strike" proof Ikes and Lee's Ike mailed in October. Pretty please! Rob

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file