Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

New 1957 Mint set....another type B washington

So that's a total of (5) toned 1957 Type B reverses I have pulled out of these sets in the past month......none from any other 1956-1958 sets.....now the question is......is there any premium for these and do the TPGs notate this on the holders as a variety if requested?

Latest one....

I have only received one back so far from grading.....came back and NGC MS66 and what I can tell you already is that in almost every case....the obverse is fully PL which is probably already well known to the Washington collectors.....one can conclude worn proof dies were used for the obverse of these coins as well as the reverse...

and the others....

Personally I like them as the surfaces look great one these coins with brilliant PL finishes that make them drip with luster image

Comments

• Options
    RunnersDadRunnersDad Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭
    Very cool coins...and very good luck on your part!
    Mike

Visit my son's caringbridge page @ Runner's Caringbridge Page

"To Give Anything Less than Your Best, Is to Sacrifice the Gift" - Steve Prefontaine
  • Options
    What are the differences in the types? I have heard them discussed before, but I am not really into Washington quarters.
    Looking for Au Classic Commems...
    Also looking for VF-EF Seated halves.

Sell me your old auction catalogs...image
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭
    PCGS will attribute them as FS-901 but the slab will not say Type B.

I do not know about NGC or the other grading services since just being in those slabs appears to be detrimental to any coin.

PCGS attribution would cost the crossover fees (for the NGC) and $20 each for attribution to FS-901. Basically, an Economy submission at $18 each with $20 attribution fee. A bit stiff IMO.

What I would like to see is, if PCGS is going to lavel Fivaz-Stanton numbers, why not put the Type B designation on the label as well?

As for premium's? These coins will definitely pull more than a regular Type A coin. How much really depends upon the bidders. Having the Mint Set Toning in conjunctiom with the Type B attribute is definitely a plus. If I were you, I'd spring for the grading as your coins are sure to bring strong money!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    I guess I will contact NGC to see what they would do with them becuase 4 of the 5 coins are still raw and will be submitted shortly. It might be cheaper just to have them graded and attributed at the same time if at all possible image
  • Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool Washies Shane! I particularly like the one after the slabbed image. image
  • Options
    BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    The PCGS number for a 1957 Type B is 145024.

Simply fill in your submission form with this number and get them crossed over, if you like.

Very nice coins!
  • Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I recently purchased a 57 mint set and had to double check mine as it never crossed my mind to look for the type B.
    Whaddaya think? The tailfeathers appear right, but I'm not 100% sure I know the difference yet.
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    awesome toner meltdown
  • Options
    Type B Washington Quarters do not bear the "D" mint mark.

They are called "Type B"/ Proof Reverse because the reverses look exactly like Proof Washingtons do!

Your label will look like this if you enter the correct number on the submission form.

Note the # on the label.

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I recently purchased a 57 mint set and had to double check mine as it never crossed my mind to look for the type B.
    Whaddaya think? The tailfeathers appear right, but I'm not 100% sure I know the difference yet.
    image >>

YES it is a type B. The type B the leaf touching the A in Dollar on the revers.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    As mentioned in a previous thread, the PCGS coin #s are as follows.

1956 - 145647

1957 - 145024

1958 - 146067

1959 - 146068

1960 - 145643

1961 - 146069

1962 - 146070

1963 - 146071

1964 - 145654

NO Type B bear the D Mint mark!

Save this info as you will be hard pressed to find it elsewhere. image
  • Options
    Here is a 1958 Type B that needs to be crossed over. Last time I checked they had a low pop!

imageimage
  • Options
    <<NO Type B bear the D Mint mark!>>

OBJECTION! A very few 1969 D thru 1972 D exist with the B reverse.

However, there are no known silver D B's and people have been looking for them for over 50 years now.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I recently purchased a 57 mint set and had to double check mine as it never crossed my mind to look for the type B.
    image >>

YES it is a type B. The type B the leaf touching the A in Dollar on the revers. >>

That's not a type B....the ES are close together in states and I don't see the Leaf anywhere near the A ......no way that's a type B but it looks like a very pretty toner so who cares image
  • Options
    Right, there are no type B SILVER Washingtons

and

Yes, the D shown above is very nice. image
  • Options
    copperfan, a new member in March, asked a while ago in this thread what the differences were on a "B". I was hoping somebody would throw in a link or answer the question. There are many minor differences in the "B". Some of the more major ones are:
    The gap at the bottom of the letters between E and S in STATES is wider on the "B".
    The leaf by the arrow points stick above them.
    The leaf by A of DOLLAR merges solidly into the A.
    Searching the forum for "type B" willl bring up a number of strings with information that should help you.
    One that will not come up is my string on the 1970 quarter reverse varieties since "B" is not in the title.
    http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=26&threadid=627990&highlight_key=y&keyword1=1970
    This shows a 1970 D B and gives a discussion on the differences concentrating in the area of the arrow heads.
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hoard the keys.
  • Options

<< <i>So that's a total of (5) toned 1957 Type B reverses I have pulled out of these sets in the past month......none from any other 1956-1958 sets.....now the question is......is there any premium for these and do the TPGs notate this on the holders as a variety if requested?

Latest one....

I have only received one back so far from grading.....came back and NGC MS66 and what I can tell you already is that in almost every case....the obverse is fully PL which is probably already well known to the Washington collectors.....one can conclude worn proof dies were used for the obverse of these coins as well as the reverse...

and the others....

Personally I like them as the surfaces look great one these coins with brilliant PL finishes that make them drip with luster image >>

man -those '57 quarters are the bomb - you got the halves to go with them ??
  • Options
    dlmtortsdlmtorts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭
    As far as attribution, NGC told me at the FUN show recently that they do not attribute Type B's. PCGS, ANACS and ICG will attribute them. So check with NGC before you send them in. Nice coins krypton!!
  • Options
    I hadn't caught this the first time round,

<< <i>PCGS will attribute them as FS-901 but the slab will not say Type B. >>

This is NOT SO, The PCGS certified Type B WILL DEFINITELY read "Type B Rev FS-901"

If need be I can retrieve a picture of any of those I made and auctioned within the past 60 days.

You pay the going rate for grading and attribution and the coin WILL read as such! image

Oh and thus far I HAVE NOT seen any NGC Type B BUT I did see some that simply have a "T"
    written behind the gade - but that's IT!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file