Home Sports Talk

Milestones of the 2008 MLB Season---Chipper!---

Last year had so many amazing milestones and records broken, what are some that we will see this year or are upcoming?

Here are some I can think of:

Carl Crawford 1000 hits. Not an amazing milestone but for someone his age it's a great one and he's only 6 away now.

Chipper Jones 400 HRs. This will put him at 43rd on the all time list, passing Al Kaline.

Junior Griffey 600 HRs. He's at 593 right now so this one should happen within a month or two.

Johan Santana 100 Ws. FSN showed him at 94 for his career and I was surprised he had this few. Too bad 95 won't be coming on Sunday....image

John Smoltz 3000 K's. Only needs 25 more to reach this magic number. He won't pass anybody, and will remain in 16th all time, but by the end of the year he COULD pass Bob Gibson, Curt Schilling, and Pedro since the latter of the two are injured. This would bring him up to 13th place about 80 behind Fergie Jenkins.

Can anyone think of some others?

Comments

• Bobby Cox wins his 2nd World Series w/ the Braves. image
    Atlanta Braves, Charlotte Hornets, Shawn Kemp, Dale Murphy, and Bobby Engram.
  • SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Manny Ramirez needs 10 homeruns for 500
    Gary Sheffield needs 20 homeruns for 500
    Greg Maddux needs 8 wins to pass Roger Clemens
    Randy Johnson needs 16 wins to reach 300

Steve
  • If Bonds would start playing, he may come real close to becoming the All-Time leader in Runs Scored!
  • gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    265 wins for Mike Mussina
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !

• << <i>Manny Ramirez needs 10 homeruns for 500
    Gary Sheffield needs 20 homeruns for 500
    Greg Maddux needs 8 wins to pass Roger Clemens
    Randy Johnson needs 16 wins to reach 300
    Steve >>

Cant wait for Manny to break 500! I'm guessing mid-june....
  • TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    ESPN has a milestone tracker that's pretty cool.

ESPN Milestone Tracker
  • TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    I read an article on Yahoo this morning about the lack of attention that Ken Griffey Jr. is getting for his approach to 600 career HRs and I came across this quote that I thought superbly sums up a lot of the views and opinions that I have (and that I've heard expressed on these boards).

“Stadiums of fans remain emotionally connected to the home run, the moment of impact, its immediate influence on a game, the glory of 420 feet of bang and flight. They like the home run. But, perhaps, they have cooled on the notion of the amassment of home runs, no matter who holds the bat. We still appreciate the singular drama, but have turned on the gluttonous bulk, the process of sorting the real from the enhanced.”

Silent 600 article link
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Mets winning another game?

Steve
    Good for you.

• << <i>Mets winning another game?

Steve >>

lol

My baseball and MMA articles-
    http://sportsfansnews.com/author/andy-fischer/

imagey
  • GootGoot Posts: 3,496