Home Sports Talk
Options

The Official S.F. Giants Run To No Less Than 100 Losses Thread

JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
I'm a S.F. Giants fan. But I read and agree with the statement in this weeks' issue of ESPN The Magazine that the Giants aren't as bad as you think. They're worse. So this thread will chronicle the S.F. Giants 2008 season and my belief that they will lose no less than 100 games. My personal estimate is 108 loses, which would be a franchise record (currently, 100 losses in 1985).

/s/ JackWESQ

P.S. And right now, they're on pace for a 54-108 record.

Comments

• Options
    Yep -

Giants and Marlins will be the whipping boys this year for the NL.
  • Options
    i live in the bay area. A's fan, but do follow the Giants (since, other than the East Bay, there is a media bias towards the giants). The giants should be god awful this year. Which makes me wonder why they would give a long term contract to Aaron Rowand, who isnt that good to begin with.

At least the radio and TV broadcasters are fun to listen to. Eases the pain of hearing Brian Boc*ock and Raja Davis striking out.
  • Options
    I'm not going to chronicle every loss, but I can't pass up a 13-4 beatdown by the mighty Brewers. 13-4 victory and, yet, Salomon Torres gets a save. Anybody remember him? Ah, yes, back in 1993 ...

/s/ JackWESQ
  • Options
    7-0 loss with the # 1 pitcher going? Ouch. Team is hitting a collective .221 (2nd lowest to Colorado's .213) and has the lowest collective OPS of .571 (2nd to last is Colorado at .613). Maybe I should revise that estimate of 108 losses.

/s/ JackWESQ
  • Options
    100 loses easy.. Does Vegas have a line for that?
  • Options
    nice article on the giants

san jose merc
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    43-119 was Detroit's record in 2003...I believe that is the worst ever for a team playing 162 games. Maybe they can break that record?
  • Options
    And the Giants say that they want to go in a new direction? What direction is that? Further, further backwards? A 42-120 record would be something else. But percentage wise, no one can or will ever touch the 1899 Cleveland Spiders who went 20-134; a nice .129 winning percentage. Or better yet, a .871 losing percentage. To match/tie that percentage, a team would have to go 21-141. Wow, 141 losses. But hey, the season is young!

/s/ JackWESQ

Cleveland Spiders ... Check Them Out!
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    The Giants lose the pennant!! The Giants lose the pennant!!!!
  • Options
    So the Giants have won a few games and now they're on pace for only 93 losses. Bummer. That said, I see that Barry Zito is sporting an "impressive" 0-5 record. Here are his current and projected stats for 2008:

SPLITS G GS CG SHO IP H R ER HR BB SO W L P/GS WHIP BAA ERA
    Season 6 6 0 0 28.2 41 30 24 4 15 11 0 5 79.0 1.95 .336 7.53
    Projected 37 37 0 0 174 255 187 150 25 93 69 0 31 79.0 1.95 .336 7.53

The 7.53 ERA is telling (as is the pace for a 0-31 record). But I know someone here understands the importance of WHIP and a 1.95 WHIP is really, really bad and it is also at the bottom for all MLB pitchers.

/s/ JackWESQ

P.S. Any thoughts on whether Zito stays a starting pitcher for the entire 2008 season? If he does, then I want 20 losses.

• Options
    Well, I guess Zito will have to get those 20 losses from the bullpen. The most expensive relief pitcher ever.

/s/ JackWESQ
  • Options
    100 loses would be a gift. Although moving Zito to bullpen should help stop some of the bleeding. I watched him throw on opening day. He was consistently 82-84 and low 70s with his hook. He wasn't fooling anyone. Nice ace!
  • Options
    the NFL figured it out with guaranteed vs. non-guaranteed pay.
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    With Zito out of the equation, the Giants shot at a .500 season are improved.

Interisting stat: the Giants lead the majors in stolen bases.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    things just got better for SF (not): from espn.com

SAN FRANCISCO -- San Francisco Giants minor-league catcher Eliezer Alfonzo was suspended 50 games Wednesday for testing positive for a performance-enhancing substance, the first player penalized this year under Major League Baseball's drug program.

Alfonzo is on San Francisco's 40-man roster so he falls under the major-league program even though he has played all season at Triple-A Fresno.

"I made a mistake, and I want to apologize to my family, my teammates, the fans and the Giants organization," Alfonzo said in a statement released by the team. "I know what I did was wrong, and now I will pay the penalty. As a father, I now have to look my children in the eye and explain to them that I have made a big mistake, one, unfortunately, that they are also going to have to deal with, as well as me."

The 29-year-old Venezuelan was optioned to Fresno just before Opening Day and is batting .306 with three homers and 14 RBIs in 16 games. The suspension will start Thursday, and Alfonzo will be eligible to return to play June 27, assuming there are no postponements.

He played 113 games with the Giants in the 2006 and 2007 seasons, batting .263 with 13 homers and 45 RBIs.

The Giants said in a statement they were also disappointed to learn about the positive test and that they support baseball's testing program. Alfonzo is the first Giants player to be suspended under the major-league drug program that first started suspensions in 2004.

"As an organization, we will continue to work with our players, Major League Baseball and the players' association to do what we can do to eliminate these performance enhancing substances from our game," the team said. "We will continue to support and counsel Eliezer during his suspension."

Five players have been suspended this year under the minor-league program
  • Options

<< <i>things just got better for SF (not): from espn.com >>

I saw that. Disappointing, but he's the 3rd string catcher, and in the minors, so it won't really hurt the Giants right now.

• Options
    Hey! Zito is back in the starting rotation. There's still hope for 20 losses!

/s/ JackWESQ
  • Options
    HGH BZ
    any word on how other drug users are going?
  • Options
    Chalk up another loss for Zito and the Giants. 0-7 and on pace for 33 losses. I'd be happy with 20 losses. Let's hope the Giants don't engage in any more funny business like taking Zito out of the rotation. (Though he did pitch decently tonight).

/s/ JackWESQ
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    zito actually pitched well and they still lose?? bad news for zito and the giants
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    Welcome to the Pirates fans world.
  • Options
    looks like magowan is stepping down as managing partner. could this be a sign of the demise of brian sabean?
  • Options
    William H. Neukom, former General Counsel to Microsoft Corporation and current President of the American Bar Association will be running the show up S.F., at season's end. Maybe the team just needed an attorney's guidance. image

/s/ JackWESQ
  • Options
    … and Zito is now 0-8. But I’m nervous. 5 innings, 8 hits, 2 runs, SIX WALKS and 4 SOs. I hope the Giants don’t get any ideas of taking him out of the rotation.

/s/ JackWESQ
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    Will Zito actually hit 20 losses? Who was the last guy to do that?
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    Mike Maroth went 9-21 for Detroit back in 2003 when the Tigers went 43-119 ... and they won their last two (2) games to finish 43-119 otherwise they would have went 41-121 and broken the record of the 1899 Cleveland Spiders. image

/s/ JackWESQ
  • Options
    Well, at 60 - 79, they're not going to hit .500, but I think the Giants will avoid the 100 loss mark.

I can't see them dropping 21 out of the last 23 games left in the season.

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Well, at 60 - 79, they're not going to hit .500, but I think the Giants will avoid the 100 loss mark.

I can't see them dropping 21 out of the last 23 games left in the season. >>

You can thank Lincecum for keeping the losses under 100.
  • Options

<< <i>You can thank Lincecum for keeping the losses under 100. >>

Yup. Only starter on the team with a winning record and an ERA under 3.

I think the worst is behind the Giants. The young kids they're showcasing look like they have some promise.

• Options
    Since I live on the East Coast, I don't get to actually watch the Giants very often. However, as a fan of Tim Lincecum, I've been following them pretty closely this year by reading post-game articles on the internet, articles about who they've drafted, etc. I really like the Giants current youth movement and I think they'll be back in the play-offs in 2010. Re-building with young guys doesn't take as long as it used to -- and the Giants are developing a solid core of young players, led by Lincecum, Fred Lewis, Brian Wilson, and perhaps Matt Cain (although Cain has been a disappointment this year). Then of course there's the new guy named Sandoval who seems to have talent -- and that catcher who they just inked to a professional contract after a truly dominant college career.

So, from 3000 miles away, the Giants look to me to be getting a lot better very quickly.
    Charlie
  • Options

<< <i>...the Giants are developing a solid core of young players, led by Lincecum, Fred Lewis, Brian Wilson, and perhaps Matt Cain (although Cain has been a disappointment this year). Then of course there's the new guy named Sandoval who seems to have talent -- and that catcher who they just inked to a professional contract after a truly dominant college career. >>

Another guy to watch is rookie rightfielder Nate Schierholtz. He's been improving his hitting in the minors over the past few years, and has been looking pretty impressive since he got called up this year. Now, he just needs to work on his power so he can start pulling bombs over the right field wall and into the Cove.

• Options
    8-4 in the month of September with 14 games to go. At 81 losses, I wonder if the Giants can actually keep it to under 90?

• Options
    kmnortonkmnorton Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    Anybody notice who has the lead in home runs for the team (and, yes, I am a season ticket holder for the Giants)? That's right, Rowand and Molina, both with 13. 13! That's in 13. Nobody has over 13 home runs and it's mid September. That's not right.
    IWTDMBII
  • Options
    71 wins, 89 losses.

2 games left.

Saturday: Cain vs Maddux
    Sunday: Lincecum vs Kuroda

The season is lost, but the Giants avoided the 100 loss season. The question is, can they avoid a 90 loss season?