Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Quality of Tennessee State Quarters

I received my bags of Tennessee state quarters the other day and the best thing I can say is that the mint is consistent. The P Mint coins are well struck, have fewer dings and no toning or spotting. The D mint coins are poorly struck with tons of bag marks, toning and spots. The bags were even packaged differently nicely into the box. The D Mint coins were in a box the shape of a cube and the bag had to be folded in half to fit in the box.

My daughter went through two $250 bags (one from each mint) She found 10 P mint coins and 3 D mint coins worth submitting out those 2000 coins. I don't think that the D Mint coins will grade well but they were the best 3 out of the bag.

You would think that the mint would get the picture and improve the quality of their Denver coins. Has anyone else received their coins? What was the quality?

Comments

• Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    Dennis,
    I opened 3 orange & white rolls from the local banks, all TN-D. Here are my comments from another thread. I'm wishing for a 67 and a 68... will probably get a 66 & 67!

"OK, I searched all three Rolls.

The first roll was very disappointing. Lot's of contact, and weak strike or slightly filled dies. The strings were often not visible up to the dohickeys they wrap around up at the top of the guitar neck. Lettering near the rim was often very low relief. I set aside no coins for further review.

Roll two got a little better for contact marks, but still most coins did not have full detail. I set aside 2-3 coins.

Roll three had mostly strong strikes. While most coins still had a modest amount of contact, there were several I set aside for further examination.

At the end, I had about 10 picked out. I went back over these and ranked them by strike and contact (all had exellent eye appeal and luster). At the end, I had 4 that stood out above the rest. I was thinking 1 MS67++, 3 Good shot at MS67, MS66 lowest.

Then I pulled my MS67s and MS68 from the safe, and cut my list from 4 to 2, one 67++, one 67.

Wish me luck."
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    Let us know how it goes. Good luck