Home U.S. Coin Forum

Amazing what a little hype can do for the price of a coin

stev32kstev32k Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭
I've been keeping my eye out for a 1917 type 1 SLQ and recently came across two listings. One was in an ICG AU58 holder the other in an ICG MS63 slab. The 58 sold for $376 the 63 sold for $322. The difference was some hype about the 58 being undergraded.

This is not the first time I've seen this, nor will it be the last, but I'm always amazed.
Who is General Failure, and why is he reading my hard drive?

Comments

• Thats amazing. Human nature is a strange thing.
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 23,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And the 63 even sports a FH vs the 58.

peacockcoins

• DJCoinzDJCoinz Posts: 3,856
    That is extremely weird.
    aka Dan
  • etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭
    Everybody knows that AU58 coins are the best bargains when buying coins. image

I agree that this one is a little on the strange side.

-------------

etexmike

• << <i>I've been keeping my eye out for a 1917 type 1 SLQ and recently came across two listings. One was in an ICG AU58 holder the other in an ICG MS63 slab. The 58 sold for $376 the 63 sold for $322. The difference was some hype about the 58 being undergraded.

This is not the first time I've seen this, nor will it be the last, but I'm always amazed. >>

Maybe a shillimage? Wow, that was ignorant of me to type. Sorry to accuse you xkop69. Wish I had some AU 1917 type 1 quarters to send to ICG.
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I was not to thrilled with the bidding history either, but what do I know?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • greghansengreghansen Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭
    Strange indeed. I like the 63 much better.

Greg Hansen, Melbourne, FL Click here for any current EBAY auctions Multiple "Circle of Trust" transactions over 14 years on forum

• zennyzenny Posts: 1,547 ✭✭
    and you would call this what?

"graded MS63FH by ICG = one of the toughest, if not the toughest grading company there is."

that's kind of humorous hype, of course, and unbelievable hype, of course, but hype, nonetheless...

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I once watched a raw brown AU-ish 1799 British halfpenny on eBay outsell my ANACS MS63 RB (which was very Red). Never could figger it out. And I had paid money to "feature" my auction and everything, while the other seller hadn't. His coin was nice, but had no special toning or anything, and mine was FAR nicer.

That's the last time I ever flushed money down the toilet by wasting it on "featured" auctions.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And the 63 even sports a FH vs the 58.

That's a vintage ICG holder and they did not designate Full Head on the insert under MS60 until a few years ago. That coin is a bit soft in the head, but would still qualify as FH at any TPG today. I stopped watching this coin at $202 and I'm shocked seeing the final closing price! image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file