Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

The JHF Silver Dime Set(s)

wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
I wanted to give everyone an update on the Justhavingfun Silver Roosevelt Dime collection. I have now assembled an accumulation of about (100) Silver Roosevelt Dimes that comprise the Justhavingfun Silver Roosevelt Dime (core) collection and roughly (75) of these coins should receive the JHF pedigree from PCGS (obviously none of the roughly (10) NGC coins can get the pedigree, but will also be sold off as part of the collection). Following the pedigree of the coins, these 75-100 dimes are expected to be sent off to a major auction, as discussed below. Note that I will continue to offer additional JHF Roosies through Teletrade (and some nice coins at that) as well - PCGS’ rules do not permit the pedigree of these additional coins, but, Teletrade has noted (and is expected to continue to note) which coins came from the extensive JHF Roosie collection. The roughly (75) pedigreed coins will be part of JHF’s “FB” and “non-FB” actual registry sets- and by having the (2) different sets, JHF can address the situation where there is a lovely toned MS67FB example as well as an MS68 no band coin for a particular date, or an MS68FB as well as an MS68 no band coin, or even a pair of MS68FB coins for a single date, etc.

JHF decided to not sell off these “duplicate” coins (including any extras above and beyond the roughly -75- pedigreed coins) over a two or three part auction spanning months and months, but, rather, to offer out to collectors all of these coins in one major auction event and to create one special auction catalog which will feature all of these great Roosies and will be a reference guide for Silver Roosies for many years to come. I plan to confirm my existing research on most of these dimes to trace the history of these coins, at least back to which prior registry sets previously contained many of these great coins. JHF made several large acquisitions to obtain these roughly (100) coins, including the purchase of Steve Heller’s spectacular former #1 dime collection (which incorporated my former #1 set), as well as Nick Cascio’s sensational original #1 Silver Dime set. I will work diligently to try to accurately detail the history of many of these dimes and, in that regard, I invited Nick Cascio to stop by tomorrow to view all of these top (100) coins and to confirm with me, to the best of his recollection as well, the history of as many of these coins as possible. My desire is to give those collectors who previously registered (or owned) these coins (before selling them directly or indirectly to JHF) due credit in the wonderful catalog I hope to produce (and if you believe your prior coin is currently in the JHF collection, please send me off a note and I’ll make sure to research that to ensure proper credit is given in the auction catalog). And, speaking of the catalog…

It is anticipated (although not "signed off" to yet) that Superior will be the auction company handling this consignment of these top 75-100 Silver Roosies. Besides Paul Song being a wonderful gentleman to work with over there, Superior has offered to create a very special catalog for JHF to mark this landmark event for the silver Roosevelt series. The most important thing for JHF was to have a special auction catalog produced for these coins (a first of its kind) and Paul has assured JHF and myself that Superior will go the extra mile in that regard. That will be great for all silver Roosevelt enthusiasts - it should hopefully be an extremely informative and visually stunning catalog of some of the nicest Silver Roosies out there.

And, by the way, anyone else is more than welcome as well to make an appointment with me here in S. CA to inspect these (100) Silver Roosevelts before the coins head off to auction. The auction is expected to take place at the fall, 2008 Long Beach show and I should have possession of the coins at least through 7/1/08 if your travel plans should take you through Southern California before that time.

Finally, on a related subject - prior to the Summer, I now expect to break up JHF’s clad #1 PCGS dime set. A few of the better coins in the set might be included in the Silver Dime auction scheduled for the fall, or they may be sold off privately, or possibly set aside for a future auction. I would expect many of the sub-$1,000 coins might simply be sent off to Teletrade later this year as well. I have already begun to send off some doubles and undergrade clad coins to Teletrade already.

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.

Comments

• StoogeStooge Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm very sure that this will bring a much needed jolt to the Roosevelt Dimes Series. I have just a couple of comments.

I will make travel plans by gosh to attend the auction in the fall of this year for the 2008 Long Beach Show, and witness this historical event. Will JHF be there I hope?

Also, I believe that TT is a great venue as far as the undergrades, but why wouldn't you auction off all of the clad's with the Silvers at Long Beach?

Will PCGS be giving these coins Truviews? My firm believe if this were my set I would like to have the Truviews.

If I have any more thoughts, I will post them I guess.

Thanks for the update Mitch.

Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Paul - I highly doubt JHF will be at the auction - no plans of that happening. His 2008 schedule just did not have him in the states all that much. Also, the auction and the catalog will be all about the Silver Roosie series - a much needed catalog on this great silver series. Clad Roosies is an entirely different animal - and there are some factors and considerations that I can not discuss here, which make the auction of that particular series a "no go" at this point. There is also no current desire for the truviews with the expectation of exactly what Superior plans to do with the coins. Again, Nick will be here tomorrow if you would like him to look at anything for you - including any clad dime from the JHF collection.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭
    When speaking of the clads you remarked,

<< <i> "they may be sold off privately". >>

Now to hear that sends chills up the spine.
    Oh well I guess us common low income folk will have to battle on Teletrade...
    JHF I wish you all the best in the sales of your mighty clad dimes. And happiness in your future endevers. image
    Dan
    Dan: "Privately" is a possibility for the clads, or some publicly, like Teletrade. "Low income" or "high income" has nothing to do with that decision. In fact, at this point, my best guess is that some of the coins will end up selling privately and some others publicly. If there were any particular clads you were most interested in, again, feel free to ask Nick to screen them for you tomorrow and give you a report. Most of the clad coins may very well become available for sale either publicly or privately soon.

Wondercoin
  • scherscher Posts: 924
    Sounds like quite a group of coins....
    Bruce Scher
  • rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    Can't wait to see the catelogue!!! This will be a great sale!!!image
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
    Mitch my comment was not intended to Dis-Respect Anything, or anyone, about the way JHF's coins will be offered, public or private.
    Just not much chance I'll get the great coins, but I'll SURE be scrapping for anything that seeps through and floats down toward my level.

Dan
    Dan: I will try very hard to make sure you end up with a special coin or two from JHF's clad collection and at a price level you feel is fair. I don't want to step on any toes here - if you deal with Nick generally as your dealer of choice for clad dimes, then just speak with Nick tonight and he can examine all the clad dimes tomorrow when he is here. If you do not work closely with anyone in particular, I would be happy to discuss clad dimes later this Spring as things get sorted out. JHF has many great clad dimes as you know - some in doubles. I am confident you will be able to add a special coin or two from his collection.

Wondercoin
  • Dear Paul:

I would love to attend the auction of my cherished Roosie dime collection and give it one last fare-thee-well. But as I age, I find it progressively harder to fly and retain my health.

I don't know whether the airlines spray something in the air during flights, but on about one-in-three flights over the last three years, I've had allergenic reactions to something and will suddenly start to sneeze uncontrollably. Maybe 20 times a minute for an hour. It totally wipes me out; leaves me exhausted; and frequently ill.

Nothing seems to help except drinking extreme amounts of water, and then, of course, I am continually running to the bathroom. Naturally, the airplane seems destined to hit a bumpy stretch and with the seatbelt sign on I'm doubly cursed.

That said: If I am in the states at that time, I will make every effort to attend, even if I have to take a train.

Just having fun, and lots of it, in Manila

Jefferson nickels, Standing Libs, and US-Philippines rock
  • Hello Dan50. I didn't take it as a disrespect, and I appreciate your best wishes.

Hello Bruce: Yes, I do think it's one of the most interesting collections of circulating coinage that's been up for sale in quite some time. Enormous eye appeal; very high grades; and many pop tops. Along the way, I picked up outstanding beauts in NGC slabs whenever I could find one, and they will add to your enjoyment of the set.

Dear Rainbow Roosie: Yes, it should be a fun sale: 5 or 6 years to accumulate and 15 minutes to disperse. Actually, the collecting took place over longer than 5 or 6 years. I have childhood memories of the Roosies, including one of the day the Roosies were first released into circulation. My dad came home and proudly showed me a brand new, shiny Roosie, which he had bought at the candy store for the 25 cents. We were a poor family, and that was a stretch for Dad, and perhaps the reason why I've remembered it down through the corridors of time. But no, I don't remember whether it was a full bander. image

Just Having Fun
  • labloverlablover Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh, I can't wait...this is going to be fun!!!!!
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That will be COOL to see!

While I believe the coins will be way above what my son and I can scrape together for them, I would love to get him the catalog (he is 6 years old right now and I would love it for him to have as he keeps going with his Roosies). I've bought him a few Filipino coins (he is 1/2 Filipino) but the Roosies, toned especially, are what he really likes and the catalog would be cool.

So, if anyone knows how to get one, when they are ready, it would be great to get. I am not on any auction house's mailing list, so I know I won't get one that way. image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

YEE HAW.
    Just when I was starting to get into the proof Dimes, Here drops the big one. I have been following JHF's Roosie's on TT
    evertime they have come up. I am still waiting to find one that jumps out at me that I need. Sunday will be my best bet (maybe).
    I believe and hope that PCGS will have a eye on this auction to finally bring up the Realized Prices that are posted.

Mitch. Please keep us posted on the opening of the auction. The catalog alone will be worth the price. This wont happen agian for a very long time.

I also wish JHF the best of luck in the pursuit of his collections. For a little guy like me, You have made my joy in collecting that much more.

BILL
    Bochiman - Later in the Summer, just email Paul Song at paulsong@sgbh.com and let him know you are interested in a JHF Roosie auction catalog and I am confident he will send you one out.

JHF - That is a special story concerning your dad and his special gift to you in 1946. That candy store owner charged even more than the US Mint now charges for current issues!! LOL.

Wondercoin
    JHF....cool story!
    We aren't that poor, but it is exactly a memory like that (father/son) that I want with my son. I don't have many memories of my real father as mom and he divorced when I was very young, so I vowed to myself that my son would get to know me and grow up well. I am getting a bit too old and hobbled for sports, though I have coached his kindergarten basketball team so I could be involved, but I figured coins are one of the hobbies I can have with him.

Thanks to a very nice guy, on the boards here, *cough cough* OnlyRoosies *cough cough*, my son has taken quite the shine to toned coins, in particular, toned silver Roosies. He has a simple registry set and loves to get coins so I do what I can but am trying to temper things by going slow and getting nice ones. This is the reason that I was asking about the catalog (thanks Mitch!.....I think he may be able to get one image ).

Again, can't wait to see/hear more.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• I am happy to send a spare catalogue to anyone who emails me by about mid august 2008 I would say.
    Paul Inho Song
    Director, Coin and Banknote Auctions
    Bonhams & Butterfields Auctioneers and Appraisers since 1793
    7601 Sunset Boulevard
    Los Angeles CA 90046
    (323) 436 5455
    (310) 633 4170 work mobile
    paul.song@bonhams.com
    www.bonhams.com/uscoins
    Thanks Paul for stopping by.

I met with Nick yesterday and we jointly identified the "pedigree" on virtually every PCGS Silver Roosie destined for the sale. Nick got to see some incredible Roosies he had never seen before from my original collection and the Heller collection, while also visting his "old friends". I couldn't think of a better way to spend half a day!

Wondercoin

• onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭✭
    Mitch, I couldn't agree more. I saw the most incredible Roosevelt dimes and all in one place.
    I never knew so many beautiful Roosevelt's existed that I wasn't aware of. If anyone gets a
    chance to view this great collection you will not regret it. Along with about 100 silver dimes
    I was also given the privilege to view JHF's number 1 clad set. This will definitely be the
    year of the Roosie and a landmark sale. I fully expect records to be broken .
    Thanks again Mitch for a great day.

Nick
  • RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭
    That must have been extremely fun! image
    The only thing that would have made it better is if you were there Steve....
  • ellewoodellewood Posts: 1,750
    It's been a while since I've posted but I wanted to chime in and say: This is what the PCGS boards are all about. It's so nice to read great posts like this and to get away from all of the negativity and bashing that so often riddles these boards.

I don't know jack squat about this series but it will be very cool to watch and read about this monumental collection when it's auctioned off on the block!
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is a great thread.

...even if it's mostly about silver dimes. image
    Tempus fugit.
    What was great fun was hearing from Nick the incredible stories surrounding his acquistion or slabbing of many of these great coins from his former collection as well as me telling Nick a few stories as well concerning some of the coins he had not seen before - mostly from Steve Heller's set. We also almost always agreed on this or that dime being the very finest PCGS piece in existence for the date and the collection of coins was great to see together in one place, especially because following the sale, that will likely not be the case ever again.

While the simple fact is these (100) coins combined might not have the value of a few of JHF's single shield nickel pieces, these coins have a rich history behind them and are very special coins in their own right. I have little doubt this JHF collection will be remembered throughout time by future generations of Roosie dime collectors.

Wondercoin
  • Hi Bochiman:

Yes, I think it's a cool set. I spent a lot of time (and money) trying to get solidly graded coins with good eye appeal at each slot.

Hello BSH Inc: Sorry but I can't say the same about about the proof Roosies. I just never got into the proof Roosies the way I got into the business strikes. So just assume they're solid for the grade but nothing special.

From Manila, where I'll be for a few more days, just having fun

• eCoinquesteCoinquest Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭
    This will be a landmark auction for Roosies.

Even though I don't collect Roosies, clad or proof, I may pick up one fo these JHF pedigreed coins. I would love to have a coin from such a collection!

JHF, CONGRATULATIONS on an outstanding set!!! It takes a true collector to complete such a set!

Good luck with the sale!
  • StoogeStooge Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Mitch, I couldn't agree more. I saw the most incredible Roosevelt dimes and all in one place.
    I never knew so many beautiful Roosevelt's existed that I wasn't aware of. If anyone gets a
    chance to view this great collection you will not regret it. Along with about 100 silver dimes
    I was also given the privilege to view JHF's number 1 clad set. This will definitely be the
    year of the Roosie and a landmark sale. I fully expect records to be broken .
    Thanks again Mitch for a great day.

Nick >>

Nick,

Would you mind being alittle more specific to what stood out and what didn't. What was your overall impression with the clads?

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Wondercoin and JHF,
    I am looking forward to the auctions for both the silver and clad dimes.
    JHF's silver FB set grades a full point+ better than my set so I will not have
    any problems looking for upgrades.
    The clad set is the one I am most looking forward to seeing. I am a little closer
    to JHF point wise, but miles away when looking a the population of the coins I
    want to upgrade. There are so many of your great set I would love to upgrade,
    twelve for sure and more if possible.
    What a wonderful collection of Roosevelt Dimes!!!
    Good luck with the auctions and I will be there for sure.
    Ron
    Martin's Collection

• Thank you Bochiman for the comments about the story. But I think it's very hard to plant memories in your child. I have many early childhood memories, and they all seem to be accidental. In speaking with my son, who's now 24, it's the same ... he has childhood memories but not what I would have guessed. And when I tell him some of my favorite stories of his childhood, he squirms, even though they're not embarrassing.

Warm regards from Manila,

Just Having Fun
  • Thank you Paul Song: I really, really appreciate the courtesy, and I wonder if I could buy half a dozen of those catalogs for myself and my family.

Best wishes,

Just Having Fun
  • "I saw the most incredible Roosevelt dimes and all in one place. I never knew so many beautiful Roosevelt's existed that I wasn't aware of."

Why thank you Mr. OnlyRoosies! What wonderful feedback. That made my day.

And the only way to build a set(s) like that is to step up to the plate and swing for the fences. And that's what I did, and that's what I'm doing in the sets I'm still collecting.

Warm regards,

Just Having Fun
  • " The only thing that would have made it better is if you were there Steve....

Yes, I agree with you Nick: It would have been better Steve were there ... I got my first big boost in Roosies from his collection. And he certainly deserves a private showing.

Thank you Steve!

Best wishes to both of you!

Just Having Fun and lots of it
  • Dear Ellewood:

When you see the coins you don't have to know "jack squat" about Roosies to enjoy the set. They're just beautiful coins that are fun to look at and gloat over. I hope you make it down to the show. Even though I know you won't bid on 'em, you'll enjoy 'em. And that's what this great hobby of ours is all about.

Just Having Fun, and lots of it, in super hot Manila

• sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    was looking for this -

had to do a couple searches

as the registry forum now only goes 4 pages for me

so ttt
    Mitch,
    When will we know the date of the auction. The sooner the better so flights and hotel arrangements
    can be made.
    Nick: Give me a call.

Wondercoin
    OMG Nick you in trouble.......image
    Dan
  • UltraHighReliefUltraHighRelief Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>OMG Nick you in trouble.......image >>

next thing you know the auction will be canceled image
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmph, I missed all the great threads right before April 15th!

I would like a look at JHF's dime set as well!

I still have onlyroosie's (Nick) blue 1951 NGC graded dime, a wonderful coin. My only graded mint state silver roosie dime.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
    Oreville - Give me a call. If you are still up, you can call me now.

Wondercoin
  • mas3387mas3387 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭
    Can I call too image
    Any time Michael. The phone lines are always open for you.

Wondercoin
  • mas3387mas3387 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭
    I would have no idea what we could talk about but

Thank you

mas3387, I never called last night. I fell asleep. It was late enough as it was.

Oreville - After I wrote that, I thought to myself - "wait a minute - it is getting close to 5:00 a.m. East Coast time and Oreville is probably an early riser. Then I thought, what the heck I am still doing up working at 2:00 a.m. and offering to discuss business that would probably take me to 3:00 a.m. or later (when I started at 7:30 a.m.). I enjoy the dimes, but, this is getting rediculous!!

Wondercoin image
    wondercoin: You are indeed working too hard!

TGIF!

Watching the basketball game tonight!

<< <i>wondercoin: You are indeed working too hard!

TGIF!

Watching the basketball game tonight! >>

Me too! I like LeBron but I want BOSTON to win!!!!! image

• TwincamTwincam Posts: 814 ✭✭
    Any new info on the date and location of the auction?
    Dave: I am still trying to get everything ready by Fall, Long Beach. But, there is an outside chance it could be an auction shortly after that. I just finished up a few weeks of in person meetings with JHF. We located a few dimes in the process I had not been given before and there is still work to be done in preparation of the auction. I'll know a lot more by the end of this month.

Wondercoin
    You found "MORE" Roosies? Geez, thats great, keep looking, can't have to many of them.
    Dan
  • More Roosies? You vant more Roosies? I haf 2 boxes of Roosie varieties, slabbed by the old, reliable ANACS.

For the most part, they're what I cosider to be minor varieties. Still, who can say whether or not PCGS will start to include them in the Registry Set?

Dear Mr. Wondercoin:

You want that I should get those back to you, now? Would they make an interesting addition to the collection or a dead weight?

Best wishes from Hong Kong,

Just Having Fun, and not enough of it