Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

My Gretzky auto mailday grading help needed

I know that most of you are baseball, football and basketball collectors
I picked this up on e-bay for $170
the sig is about as good as they come. Gorgeous card
unfortunately a little chipping top right and lower left
corners are sharp, back is smooth, no marks, or anything
surface is pristine, no bumps, scratches or dents.
I need for your grading expertise, for thos of you that can help
What would this grade in both PSA and BGS?
The sig should be a 10 IMO
Also, should I grade it, or just have it slabbed as "Authentic" and grade only the sig?

Comments

• Options
    nightcrawlernightcrawler Posts: 5,110 ✭✭
    PSA 8

BGS 8 auto10

EDIT TO ADD: I wouldn't bother with the auto, it's obviously nice, and authentic on this modern card.

• Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    Not worth grading. I doubt very much you'd get an 8, with that chipping you're looking at a 6 which is going to hurt the value. I'd get a nice thick one screw acrylic case for it and call it a day. I used to grade modern autos and to be honest, it rarely added any value at all. Even on the 9.5/10's

Neat card by the way.
  • Options
    torc,

love the great one. Nice pick-up
  • Options
    NHLfightguyNHLfightguy Posts: 525 ✭✭
    I'd guess the card grades 7.5 or an 8.
  • Options
    Thanks guys
    about what I thought it would grade, too bad I didn't see those marks before I bought it
    But the auto is one of the best I've ever seen.
    I think I will have it graded Authentic though, just for the protection of the card.
    Screw downs I have no faith in, they are not sealed and the card has a tendency to stick after a while which could really damage it.
    Water can seep into a screwdown. I think I will go for the BGS slab on this one as they seem to be more bulletproof.
  • Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    Beckett's BVG authentic labels are horribly ugly. If you get that label it will decrease the eye appeal of your card. I was pretty disgusted to get this on the top of my card.

SGC has nice looking holders. That nice looking card deserves a nice looking holder!
  • Options
    nightcrawlernightcrawler Posts: 5,110 ✭✭

<< <i> Water can seep into a screwdown. I think I will go for the BGS slab on this one as they seem to be more bulletproof. >>

You might want to refrain from storing your cards in water, and shooting them.

• Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    where's the resident auto-card guru at?

imho that auto would look sweet on another card that was custom made.

very nice auto, screw the corners IMHO (again) they have no bearing no the auto'd portion of the card, so why not cut out auto and put on another card.

j
    RIP GURU
  • Options

<< <i>where's the resident auto-card guru at?

imho that auto would look sweet on another card that was custom made.

very nice auto, screw the corners IMHO (again) they have no bearing no the auto'd portion of the card, so why not cut out auto and put on another card.

j >>

I love the look of the card
    I enjoy the Pic of a Young Gretzky in an Oilers Uniform
    The card has great eye appeal, I wouldn't want to cut the sig from it, UNLESS I happen to pick up another in pristine condition with the same almost perfect sig.