Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1866 IHC: AT or NT...and what grade?

Hi, please take a look at this coin and give your opinion. Is this toning natural, the result of an improper rinse or other factor, or is it something more sinister? image

If it's NT, what grade would you assign it?

Many thanks!

Comments

• Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    dunno about the grade but i do not really see anything that shouts
    AT.

my vote is original and the toning is NT.
  • Options
    64RB NT
  • Options
    JoesMaNameJoesMaName Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭
    I'm not crazy about the orange peal look to the obv surface.
    May just be the photo but it doesn't seem quite right to me.
    Paul - saved by
    The Fireman...
  • Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭
    No doubt NT. I say 64RB.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    DJCoinzDJCoinz Posts: 3,856
    64RB, will holder if it isn't already.
    aka Dan
  • Options
    Thanks for the input. Here are some more pictures of this raw IHC:

The cheek area is very clean, what appears in the pictures to be a small nick near the jaw is actually on the cheap plastic slab this one is in. Although you can't see them, the feathers are VERY well struck all the way to the tips of each. The color appears dark on the obverse until you tilt the coin, then you can see the blues and purples in the light.

Under a 10x loupe, I can see just a few very small hairlines in a couple locations, between (and a tiny bit across on the N) the letters E and N in CENT on the back, and in the left obverse field on the obverse. They are not prominent (meaning not heavy, and not many) and I have to get the coin in just the right light to even see them. I wonder what impact these light hairlines would have on the grade, and if they would preclude the MS64RB that several have already opined thus far.
  • Options

<< <i>MS64RB NT imo. >>

ditto image
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coin is NT. Photos aren't good enough to venture a grade guess. It should be classified as Brown by current standards; not enough Red remains to justify RB.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    Although its holder is badly scratched, it does appear to me that the coin could grade MS-65RB. I think that there is enough red to justify the RB designation.

Clearly looks NT to me.
    Tom

• Options
    Thanks guys, I guess I'll have to submit and find out what PCGS thinks!
  • Options
    BBQnBLUESBBQnBLUES Posts: 1,803
    Mmmmm Now THAT'S a pretty IHC image Wouldn't mind taking it off your hands (if selling raw).
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    Color looks good to me. Has anyone commented on what looks like a big dent in the coin to the left of O in 'OF', above the feathers?
  • Options
    Ziggy 29, that's actually on the crappy plastic slab, not on the coin. The coin is technically very, very solid with the exception of just a few fine hairlines in the locations I mentioned previously, which are barely perceptible even under a loupe.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Ziggy 29, that's actually on the crappy plastic slab, not on the coin. The coin is technically very, very solid with the exception of just a few fine hairlines in the locations I mentioned previously, which are barely perceptible even under a loupe. >>

In that case, solid 64 with a shot at 65.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file