Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

'73 OPC Baseball, how tough are 8's and 9's?

Anyone here collect '73s in OPC? Was just wondering how rare 8's are compared to their Topps counterpart. Also, does anyone know if the OPC was issued in series like Topps. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    1neatstuff1neatstuff Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭
    hi there brian yes i collect these ...the 8s can be found and there are a few 9 and 10s out there...the problem with opc not as many people collect as they do topps so they are scarcier but you have to also have the right person to sell them to...as far as series in the boxes i have opened you can get any card in the pack from the last to the first....i hope i helped you...terry
  • Options
    I have a nice Stargell.
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    There's a PSA 8 Dwight Evans available for $75, but I'm not sure if that's overpriced for an 8. A 9 I can understand, but maybe not for an 8.
  • Options
    DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭
    OPC Card No. Name Variety 7Q 7 8Q 8 8.5 9Q 9 10 Total
    615 Rookie 3Rd Basemen R.Cey/J.Hilton/M.Schmidt 3 33 4 43 1 1 26 4 152

Topps Card No. Name Variety 7Q 7 8Q 8 8.5 9Q 9 10 Total
    615 Rookie 3Rd Basemen R.Cey/J.Hilton/M.Schmidt 85 849 182 819 3 37 105 5 3,052

Here's the pop report of the most notable card in the set.

If I did the math correctly, it looks like the print run of OPC was roughly 5% of the run of Topps. Very scarce!
    "The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    nightcrawlernightcrawler Posts: 5,110 ✭✭
    They're pretty tough in my opinion. OPC not only produced less than 10%, maybe as low as 5% as many as their Topps counterpart, but it seems like quality control was almost non existant. Especially the rough cut edges, and the off centering, and the... oh boy???

Pop report shows...
    1079-8s
    553-9s
    40-10s

Edit: Sorry to keep adding the same info as above posters. image
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    I have picked up common 8s from this set for as low as $3.

There are just not that many people working on this set, so pop 5 in PSA 8 on a common can be high pop.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

found my old thread------

Thursday May 12, 2005 6:57 PM

I can't really call mine a find, but there was a baseball card shop in Glendora,CA, back in the early 80's that was owned by a Pawn shop owner from a nearby city. He had some sort of a connection with somebody in Canada. I bought two of the 5 boxes he had. One being a 1973 OPC BASEBALL BOX and the 2nd being a 1975 OPC BASEBALL BOX. As i was making good money in construction at the time and was still single, i paid if i recall correctly around $13 a pack for the 73' BOX and around $17 a pack for the 75' BOX. They are completely unsearched and i still have them in my safe. I have seen lately what the GAI packs have been going for. If PSA ever goes down that road i would consider submitting them for grading.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Still have them but have not sent them in as of 04/01/08
  • Options
    i once had 6 boxes of these i am now down to 12 packs and its killing me not to open them...i sold off the lower graded packs and now have 9 and 9.5s...i currently have the 3rd registry set but there just isnt the kind of demand on this set because it is hard to find the high graded cards....i had opened 2 boxes and if i got 80 good cards that were worth grading it was a miracle...maybe one day this set will take off who knows...image
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

That's why i'm afraid to open mine. You possibly lose one card with the gum depending on the gum placement and one card from the wax.
  • Options
    yeah thats what makes them tuff and the centering is all over the placeimage
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very tough. They are brutally centered and as neatstuff pointed out, mint cards are hard to come by inside the pack, with an average of maybe 1-2 gradeable cards (out of 10) per pack. A very undervalued set, IMO, considering its degree of difficulty.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Love the Bilingual text - hate the centering.

[URL=http://imageshack.us]image[/URL]
  • Options
    its kinda funny but i really can see why some people dont want to collect this set...opening packs can be very discouraging and just to get a centered card is a big challenge...so why would anyone want to try and put this set together? i guess im just nuts..image
  • Options
    I have a killer OPC PSA 9 Schmidt rookie. If interested, PM me.
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Pretty tough, I think. I have a 5000 count box full of 70's OPC that is going up on the BST board this weekend, including about 700 1973 OPC.

Ron
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭
    I have like three or four PSA 9 '73s going up in auctions tonight.
    Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff